Land Rover malaga

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
ashtondav
Resident

Land Rover malaga

Postby ashtondav » Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 pm

We brought our RR Evoque from the uk. Just experienced a drop in power and "restricted power" just come on. I've looked on a few forum and this does not look trivial. I see that the Malaga dealer is the nearest. Does anyone have experience of RR Malaga, especially ability to speak English as I don't think my Spanish is up to talking through engine and fault finding issues - especially if the light goes off and I have to explain the fault.

scotty
Resident

Re: Land Rover malaga

Postby scotty » Tue May 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Surely they will plug in the diagnostic doodaaa and it will suggest a problem for them to examine ? Or you could use Google translate.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 23, 2017 4:13 pm

I have used them although it was a few years ago. Spanish speakers in service but sales have an English speaker. The fault reader will tell them whats wrong as the fault code is stored in the ECU.
How old is the car? I guess its out of warranty.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I've used them a lot. No problem with the language. Expensive though!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Yep, sadly the warrant ran out 3 weeks ago. I took it in today, sluggishly driving the 40 miles to Malaga. Based on the intakes of breath and the shrugging of shoulders, and the very expensive premises I am expecting a very hefty bill in a week or so. I should have come on here and asked for non dealership RR experts, but I panicked and went for the Official Stealership.

Oh well, I just hope they fix it.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Not strictly of use to you here and immediately, - sorry - but the best purchase I made for my Discovery2 (now a 16 year old car) was a diagnostic/fault reader. Mine's called a Nanocom, but for an Evoque I'd recommend something like a Lynx. Should cost you about 300 GBP....which you'll save when you can go to an independent armed with the knowledge of what the fault code means. A google search will show what's available. Best wishes.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Further to my post about diagnostics< MY machine comes from blackbox-solutions.com and I believe they do one for the Evoque

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 am

My Discovery TD5 was the best car I've ever owned but when it hit 10 years old it had fault codes coming out its ears. I had a tame, non Landrover mechanic who used to clear them for me but it got to the stage he couldn't keep up.
I all have a 25 year old 200 series and runs as did new. It, fortunately, doesn't know what a fault code is.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe trying to find cheap service for a car worth €40k plus would be a false economy?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 pm

I can't agree with that - fully. The real problem, certainly with Land Rovers, is that sometimes, the use of non-LR parts may be detrimental to performance. As an example, it's cheaper to source and fit Mintex brake pads than the LR branded ones...and there's nothing wrong with Mintex, they're probably the best there is to be had. For all I know, LR use Mintex pads but they will carry a LR logo and will be more expensive and if you go to a LR dealer, you'll only get LR branded spares fitted at LR dealership hourly labour rates.
The "trick" is to know when you can avoid LR parts and when it's essential to get original equipment ones. (OE)
But, I replaced my front hubs with OE ones at a massive 350 (or so - can't quite recall!) GBP because I didn't trust a chinese reproduction at 55 GBP!
I guess it's down to the owner knowing about his/her vehicle and being able to make judgments and if that's not your profile, then I'm afraid you're in the hands of the main dealers......and it ain't just Land Rovers this applies to.

This is going a bit off topic I'm afraid, but as a petrolhead I'd like to think I could save people some money!...as well as keep classic cars alive!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

A new turbo is required! :cry: And the price will mean bread and baked beans for the next month. Very prompt service though, unlike the Marbella Stealership a couple of years ago who were diabolical.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 25, 2017 6:53 pm

If the car has full main dealer history and its only just out of warranty call Land Rover UK and you almost certainly get some good will from them. You may have to pay the labour and they will donate the part. I have done this with a BMW twice before. They do not like upsetting there customers on cars that are just out of warranty.
The car must have full main dealer history. Miles don’t matter.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 am

A new turbo is required! :cry:
Sorry to hear that, I think you've got a Mitsubishi turbo - same as a Freelander? and a new one will set you back about 1300GBP at Land Rover prices or about 800 GBP if you have it refurbished.....and don't discount the latter as the LR main dealer in Estepona did once put in a refub'd steering pump for me without insisting on a LR branded new spare part. Best wishes....

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 am

€697.00 for my 200TDI Classic from Paddock.... What it is to have... A Proper Range Rover, :thumbup: purr purr!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 am

Trooperman wrote:
A new turbo is required! :cry:
Sorry to hear that, I think you've got a Mitsubishi turbo - same as a Freelander? and a new one will set you back about 1300GBP at Land Rover prices or about 800 GBP if you have it refurbished.....and don't discount the latter as the LR main dealer in Estepona did once put in a refub'd steering pump for me without insisting on a LR branded new spare part. Best wishes....
Yep, that's the prices!