Leaking pool filter - fix or replace?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Leaking pool filter - fix or replace?

Postby Superplonk » Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm

There has long been a accumulation of water in our buried pump housing, but I had never been sure if the water was coming in from the ground or the mechanism itself. I've just kept on bailing it out before it got near the electrics. Recently I have noticed the problem getting worse and, for the first time I have seen that it is squirting out of the side of the filter (see bubbles in photo). The water builds up even during the winter when the pump is off, but at this time of year it comes out under pressure.
Does anyone know if this is fixable, or whether a large scale replacement will be necessary? I'm wondering about the cost before I get my landlord involved.
Attachments
IMG_20170527_112557 (1).jpg

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Leaking pool filter - fix or replace?

Postby northandsouth » Sat May 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Personally I'd say replace the vessel, difficult to establish an effective repair on a pressure vessel. I tried it once, from inside, it lasted a while but eventually leaked again and got worse.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Just replace the pressure/filter vessel.
Don't go near a pool shop, as you will be ripped off. In Torre de Mar (for example) the plumber's Tobaxa keep virtually every spare for Astral and other systems, genuine parts, at about one half the pool shop price.

Great strain is put on the filter vessel by either allowing the sand filter to clog (ie not keeping an eye on the pressure gauge, and backflushing when needed), or, much worse, by accidentally starting the pump with the return tap to the pool shut.
Chris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:36 pm

I had one of the two pipes coming out of the filter shear. Simple to replace apart from having to empty the sand.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

You mention Landlord - surely if you are a tenant, it is up to your landlord to fix this problem at his expense?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue May 30, 2017 8:03 am

Sorry, I missed your reference to a landlord.
Chris

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Yes, the landlord will get the bill, but he's a very nice chap, and I want to give him some useful advice.