French Toll Costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:21 pm

spanish hopes wrote:We enjoy the drive through France and treat it as part of out holiday.
Yes, of course you do :wink:

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Get a grip

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Get a grip Midnight - I was making a serious point which you would probably agree with if you weren't so easily wound up.

Of course unpleasant things happen everywhere in the world - but you can't blame nations (or all of them) because of individual events.

Your experience in France was unfortunate but you can't really think that typifies the French or life in France. I have been there many times and haven't been badly treated for about 30 years.

So calm down - deep breaths
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:25 pm

I see that you are moving to Andalucia soon Steve/Yvonne and you seem to know France quite well. I was wondering if you looked into the possibility of buying in France - the property prices seem much more reasonable according to the TV programmes. Obviously there are massive cultural differences between France and Andalucia - lager and cigs are more expensive for one. Is it a question of economics or climate or just being bad neighbours that Brits prefer Spain as a new or retirement home (I think!, havent googled any figures yet), what do you think?.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:18 pm

It would be interesting to know the current figures as I would have thought that many escaping from the UK would settle in France as prices are significantly lower than Spain now (apart from up market areas obviously). The Health service is excellent, prices for everything else are probably the same.

I know 5 couples who have sold up here and gone to France in the last year. The weather is different but if the house is adequately heated whats the difference? same applies to the heat of course.

Mike

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:08 pm

When we looked you got a lot more for your money house wise generally but the day to day living costs were higher than Spain. We couldn't think of one thing that is cheaper to buy in France than Spain.

If you ever stay near a France Spain border crossing there is a noticeable daily flow of shoppers going to Spain for everything from petrol to food and drink(including wine!) and of course a nice coffee before going home.

olive

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am

I agree Olive, France is more expensive than Spain. I am sure you have heard the saying ' A veces lo barato resulta mas caro'. For instance, eating out in France, even at the local bar, you always get quality but at a price. In Spain, usually too the food is great value, except in some establishments - the waiter hasn't washed his hands for three weeks, or his shirt for three years, the aperitivos are kept sweating away in a glass case for months until sold to a drunken punter, and the toilets - dont go there!. Who amongst us can say with hand on heart that they haven't suffered from 'Spanish tummy?' Portugal is cheaper still, but the food is inedible.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:17 am

Hi

We bought in Spain for the weather (sounds silly this year) . We like France but the damp is why we did not buy in France or the UK. Costs are higher in Spain than Canada , same could be said of France or UK. Really was the hope of better weather or would have stayed here!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:42 am

Yes fred, I can well imagine someone wanting to retire to live by the sea and enjoy a future of sunshine and good health.
But what is happening now is that the costa or lets say, desirable costa prices are so expensive that people are buying anything inland, some rundown shack or demolition project, even a cave!
Most of these people dont speak spanish, are getting on in life, have a stereotypical view of spanish life, reinforced by TV programmes and are not prepared for the extreme weather conditions, lack of infrastructure, poor health care etc.
Which leads me to think they would be better off (if not more comfortable) buying retirement homes in France. It would give them that snob value of living abroad, and probably the weather wouldnt be that much worse than Spain.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:31 am

kevin77 wrote:Yes fred, I can well imagine someone wanting to retire to live by the sea and enjoy a future of sunshine and good health.
But what is happening now is that the costa or lets say, desirable costa prices are so expensive that people are buying anything inland, some rundown shack or demolition project, even a cave!
Most of these people dont speak spanish, are getting on in life, have a stereotypical view of spanish life, reinforced by TV programmes and are not prepared for the extreme weather conditions, lack of infrastructure, poor health care etc.
Which leads me to think they would be better off (if not more comfortable) buying retirement homes in France. It would give them that snob value of living abroad, and probably the weather wouldnt be that much worse than Spain.
I agree with Kevin plus I dont see much difference in living costs in either country.

I am not interested in cost of beer and fags they are not essentials. If someone is living on a low budget I am sure the prices in Lidl are the same in both countries.

I have lived in UK and France for 9 years and never lived anywhere damp. However, there are plenty of damp places in Spain and even in winter or summer with its high humidity it can lead to health problems.

When we are ready we will go back and live in France.

To guarantee good weather, draw a line across France from Bordeaux and look for property below that line.

Mike

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:33 am

Just a couple of points

I just wanted to know what the cost was and advice on getting through France to Spain....

You may have gathered ..... This is a forum for Andalucia ......... If some of you like France so much - then what are you doing here please feel free to go there and be a useful member of their forums.

Can we get back to the thread PLEASE ......

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am

then next time
just post the questions and
leave out the derogatory remarks...

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:59 am

Excuse me .........?

Just who the hell are you Nevada Smith - to tell me what is in your opinion derogatory.

I am leaving the UK to avoid self opinionated politically correct minority police like you.

I don't need - or want your permission for any posting that I may wish to make - there are moderators who's job that is.

NOT YOURS !

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:35 pm

I am leaving the UK to avoid self opinionated politically correct minority police like you.
you won't be able to get away from yourself Martin.
I don't need - or want your permission for any posting that I may wish to make - there are moderators who's job that is.
Please take note of your own advice. If you note what you have previously said then your attack on nevada is unwarranted.
You may have gathered ..... This is a forum for Andalucia ......... If some of you like France so much - then what are you doing here please feel free to go there and be a useful member of their forums.

Can we get back to the thread PLEASE ......
Or is it a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do'?

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Martin Page wrote:Excuse me .........?

Just who the hell are you Nevada Smith - to tell me what is in your opinion derogatory.

NOT YOURS !
Martin, Nevada smith can be a bit harsh in his comments, but it's not he you have to worry about, you will note that whenever someone makes even a minor attack or response on another poster here that one "Spanish Hopes will be on the bandwagon first, every single time.

He is the one you need to worry about, he will always follow the pack, he has nothing to say of any value and has already made several scurrilous attacks on me (regarding my ethnicity) and will probably do so again, you can handle nevada, but don't even bother replying to "Spanish hopes" he WILL do his best to goad you and in fact try to get you kicked off the forum, this I think, is how he gets his kicks, his speciality is telling the forum that you are in fact "*yawn*" or "Cannydanny".
In my opinion people who sink to this level in order to get attention are petty minded morons with no self esteem and therefore attack others, forget him, he won't change your life.

Continue to make your own unique statements, within the parameters of decency of cours, welcome to the forum, Sad K :)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:25 pm

has already made several scurrilous attacks on me
True! T0ps , by the way I prefer you as midnight, it is slightly more credible.
(regarding my ethnicity)
An out and out lie of which you are probably quite the expert, in fact it is your only area of expertise. Even potty pannu and syd barrett were more credible than this one .

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Martin,

What is so bad about France that causes you to "spit" every time you say the word French, and why you are so determined to get through France asap. You must have had an awful experience. Why not take the ferry to Santander or Bilbau then you won't see any of France.

Personally I think France is a beautiful country and would take my time if I was passing through to Spain.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:42 pm

spanish hopes wrote:
has already made several scurrilous attacks on me
True! T0ps , by the way I prefer you as midnight, it is slightly more credible.
(regarding my ethnicity)
An out and out lie of which you are probably quite the expert, in fact it is your only area of expertise. Even potty pannu and syd barrett were more credible than this one .
You have several times made reference to my ethnic background and also to the fact that I'm muslim, in each case you were particulary nasty and personal in your racist remarks and I resent that, why the hell can't you just make sensible postings and leave out the racist rubbish, I see that you have now elevated me to the status of *yawn*, whilst also referring to several others about whom I have never even heard, no lies you know you're guilty, I have no time for racists or bigots I put you in both categories :x

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:48 pm

Ok show me just one posting where I have been even remotely racist. (Other than to Diddycoys which I do not see as being racist, as they are not a race like true Gypsies but are society leeches and drop outs) You are grasping at straws now T0ps.
I am many things but racist isn't one of them.
Of course you know all about being many things;
Burger Flipper, Nationalised finn, Inmate of a Special Hospital, Special Forces cook and baker, PR Expert to name but a few.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:04 pm

pretty sad, k -
based on his original posting,
his response above and his pm to me -
i would say that martin can't handle himself
let alone me...

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Martin's back

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:36 pm

Martin or Midnight or TOpper

Why are you running away from everyone! the french - The english - the spanish - the caymanese.

Maybe you should look at yourself.

It continues to amaze me how may of the people who want to take advantage of the openess of Europe want to use it to dislike those very neighbours. Shame.
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time