recommendation for ups

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alisonb
Resident

recommendation for ups

Postby alisonb » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:24 pm

I think we ought to have a UPS on the computer and TV in case the power goes off. We already have a surge protector, but I think from previous discussions that's probably not enough.

Can we use one UPS for both the TV and computer or do we need one on each, and how do we know what size/power we need to get? Any recommendations for particular make and model would be helpful

Thanks
AlisonB

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm not sure why you would want a UPS for your telly. Normally a UPS is to give you enough time on your PC to close any applications cleanly and be able to save any files you might be working on, after the power cut. This would typically be about 10 to 20 minutes.

I guess if you had a big enough UPS you might get a hour or two when the lights go out.

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:10 pm

The problem with a UPS is that whenever the supply fluctuates it reverts to battery for safety and not just when there is a cut. As this is a very frequent occurance, especially in the campo, it starts beeping all the time and then your power is cut and your computer crashes as it only runs on battery for 10-20 minutes. Mine cost over 100 euros but now sits in a cupboard

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:51 am

A UPS is designed to give you enough time to save your work and close your computer down correctly not extra time to run it and hope that the electricity comes back on.

If Alisonb has a plasma screen TV then I believe they can be damaged by power fluctuations so it would be a good idea to have a UPS.

Sunkissed if you're not using yours sell it to Alisonb. :wink:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:50 am

Sunkissed wrote:
The problem with a UPS is that whenever the supply fluctuates it reverts to battery for safety and not just when there is a cut. As this is a very frequent occurance, especially in the campo, it starts beeping all the time and then your power is cut and your computer crashes as it only runs on battery for 10-20 minutes.
That is exactly the reason for having the system, to protect your equipment against fluctuation and surges.
I have a Unitek system, the Alpha 500 iC, plenty big enough for computer and ancillary equipment also for plasma TV, very reliable and not too expensive. Take a look at www.Unitek-Europe.com
Hardworking resident !!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:01 am

AlisonB.

There's a pretty good computer shop in the trading estate opposite Lidles in Velez, behind the Renault dealers. Don't know the street name and they don't speak English but they seem to know what they are doing.
I bought a ups system in there a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it has saved my machine.

Mhic

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:50 am

The kind of protection you get from a UPS depends on its make and quality. With respect to Sunkissed a UPS costing €100 is probably not going to be of much use.

I have four Salicru units each rated at 1500 watts and costing over a thousand euros each. These are online as opposed to line interactive and give a constant non-fluctuating output of 234 volts. They cope with power fluctuation down to 168 volts and up to 266 volts with their own boost and buck circuitry and it is only when the voltage is outside of these parameters that they revert to the internal battery when they will give standby power for up to an hour and a half depending on the load.

I run everythingthrough these machines and there are numerous occasions on which they have foiled the best efforts of Sevillana/Endesa to turn all of my electronic equipment into pools of molten plastic.

You can check out the NX range of Salicru UPS here. The main distributor for Málaga is located on the Polígono San Luís and they will sell direct to the public.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:43 pm

We don’t get much fluctuation or outages, but we do get the occasional spike, and it always seems to be when the guy is saying “and the murderer is…..............” :?
When the digibox eventually resets its self, the adverts are on. For this reason, we have a UPS on our TV & Digibox. Sorted. :D

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:21 pm

Now I understand - I think! So is the surge protector enough for the TV provided we turn it off it there is a problem? It's an LCD, not plasma. Although maybe better to be safe than sorry. I can understand the PC needing a UPS - although 1000 euros is a bit out of my price bracket.
mhic - I'll try the shop opposite Lidl - hopefully I know enough to make myself understood, and my dictionary has only let me down once - when it translated mackerel as escumbro - which is apparently builder's rubble - not much of a meal that night!
AlisonB

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:16 pm

Beachcomber wrote:The kind of protection you get from a UPS depends on its make and quality. With respect to Sunkissed a UPS costing €100 is probably not going to be of much use...
whats the point of them ? when my power goes off, my stuff is all auto saved, word docs etc.. why do you need one of these things ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Spanish lad
If you are unlucky and have a power drop or in fact a power surge, you could well damage your hard drive, cpu and or mainboard. Could prove expensive.
Data loss could be the least of your worries.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:56 pm

Laptop can be saver too, the way the power supplies work on these is fairly good and regulates the incommig power from 100v too 240volts if its a OEM power supply then it tend to blow a fuse if the line voltage gets a spike or surge, just a thought but poer condtioners are relatively cheap too unless you want to really protect the whole house then its another storey.

Cheers

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 pm

spanish hopes wrote:Spanish lad
If you are unlucky and have a power drop or in fact a power surge, you could well damage your hard drive, cpu and or mainboard. Could prove expensive.
Data loss could be the least of your worries.

really ? i didn´t know that. i guess the same goes for switching off a pc without shutting down then ?

to be honest i´d rather replace my 20 euro main drive if it gets fried than spend 1000 euros trying to protect it ? :?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:35 pm

guess the same goes for switching off a pc without shutting down then ?
It could cause the same problem, you may get away with it dozens of times or not even once.
i´d rather replace my 20 euro main drive if it gets fried than spend 1000 euros trying to protect it
me too! I have one of the cheaper UPS units because all I want is time to shut down properly. I am happy to restart again when the power returns. If we have a spate of outages because of bad weather I just switch off, put on my mac and go for a beer.
What sze HD do you get for €20?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:23 am

The reason is asked about this initially is that a friend who has recently moved to Spain had her computer blow up within a month of arriving. I'm just trying to learn lessons
AlisonB

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:59 am

I just switch off, put on my mac
Why switch off the PC and switch on the Mac? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 am

I run a Salicru Max which will keep both our computers running for 7or 8 minutes and indeed more importantly protects them from spikes. My friend was monitoring his voltage supply the other day and actually witnessed a 310 volt spike on his recording equipment...Sevillana of course will deny these things happen but by jove they do...regularly!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:57 am

I use two APC CS500 units. The main PC runs for about 7 minutes and the second (which is actually a data logger for my weather station) runs for about 20 minutes. They are both connected to the PCs via USB and when the battery power is getting low they close down the applications normally and then put the PCs into hibernation.

The give full surge protection etc and have one outlet that provides battery backup and 2 others which provide surge protection etc but no backup - OK for printers, scanners etc. That way the battery justs supports the PC. They also have phone line protection. We suffer from a lot of very short cuts which are a real pain without a UPS. They cost less than 100 euros.

I also use a basic unit on the TV etc. It saves the Digibox dropping out every time there is a short power cut. It's a bit spooky when the lights go out and the TV stays on!

Sid

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:36 am

Alan-LaCala wrote:
Why switch off the PC and switch on the Mac? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
Haven't you read on here before alan, macs are more secure than windows according to the experts. :lol: :lol: :wink:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:48 pm

Quote:

Why switch off the PC and switch on the Mac?

Haven't you read on here before alan, macs are more secure than windows according to the experts.

And for extra security, it is always advisable to wear a condom when using your computer in stormy weather :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Hardworking resident !!