how do you apply for residence in spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

how do you apply for residence in spain

Postby bawnbue1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 am

been here a few month and want to apply to be a residence so i can get medical cover etc could any one advice me want needs to be done and where do i apply. i do not own property here live with a friend if that make a difference,

many thanks in advance

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: how do you apply for residence in spain

Postby Enrique » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi bawnbue1,

You don't say your "status"..........not working...etc

not in employment in Spain? Proof of:

(i) health cover valid in Spain and
(ii) sufficient means to support yourself and your family.
Pensioners – provide proof of public health cover.

Some light reading................

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-r ... s-in-spain

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:36 pm

If you are a O.A.P you need to contact overseas healthcare in newcastle inorder to get an S.1 .this is used to show proof of healthcare. If you arent an O.A.P you will need a private plan but check thats its one that will be accepted for residencia.

Proof of income either a lump sum of upto €5k depending on you see or proof of a regular income

Citizens advice spain have an excellent website with all the info you need

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm

OP shows Ireland/Las Mayorales as location so presumably an Irish citizen so contacting Newcastle not appropriate?

bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bawnbue1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:52 pm

thanks for the info i am not an oap still got a few years left!!
yes i did live in Ireland but come from London so Newcastle for an s1 i have a small pension paid monthly have an illness that requires several tablets a day which i get in the uk with my medical card.
i can not work as such due to my illness just trying to get around having to go back every 3 months for a proscription.. can meet the €5 k in bank

any other ideas now guys

thanks

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm

bawnbue1 wrote: just trying to get around having to go back every 3 months for a proscription.. can meet the €5 k in bank

any other ideas now guys

thanks
It would be worth visiting your local chemist (in Spain) with your prescription to see if they would dispense without a Spanish prescription. Medication in Spain is very affordable if they will dispense on demand.
Gerry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:27 pm

bawnbue1 wrote: ..i can not work as such due to my illness..

thanks
Are you on a disability benefit, or other benefit, due to your illness?
If you are then you will probably be classed as a pensioner in Spain and, as such, entitled to free health care.
When we moved to Spain my wife was on UK disability benefit because of her illness. She was under retirement age but was regarded as a pensioner here in Spain for free heath care.
I, as her husband, was also regarded as a pensioner for free health care.
In Spain the spouse is regarded as a dependant, irrespective of who is actually the wage earner and respective ages.
If one is a pensioner then so is the spouse.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:20 pm

As a a matter of interest Gerry as an english pensioner (with a healthy pension and some small independant income) what am I actually entitled to, major operations etc, I have no serious health issues that I'm aware of, just curious, I live/spend a lot of time in Grand canaria but not resident.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:41 am

Manchesteral wrote:... I live/spend a lot of time in Grand canaria but not resident.
So you are a tourist/ holiday maker.
You can't be in the Spanish health system as you aren't resident.
You will need to use your EHIC card, private medical insurance or pay cash.
Cheers
Gerry
Edited for spelling
Last edited by gerryh on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 am

bawnbue1 wrote:been here a few month and want to apply to be a residence so i can get medical cover
Sadly, it doesn't work that way.

To get residency you have to have health cover, not the other way round.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am

Manchesteral wrote:... I live/spend a lot of time in Grand canaria but not resident.
gerryh wrote: So you are a tourist/ holiday maker.
You can't be in the Spanish health system as you aren't resident.
You will need to use your EHIC card, private medical insurance or pay cash.
Cheers
Gerry

Depends on how much time you live there .... the 183 day rules apply even if it is not a continuous stay. If you were to be tax resident and be accepted for the Spanish health service then you would be covered for everything under the NHS same as other residents (presuming the rules in the Canaries are the same for here ... I take my Spanish health card when I go there, so hope I am still under the NHS system when I'm there :think: ).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:36 pm

If manchester doesnt have residencia through being a O.A.P or resident and on the paro (dole) then he willl be treated as a tourist interms of spanish NHS care regardless of how many days he is in spain. Theres no health care unless you are working with a contract,on the dole or other benefits or an O.A.P.

I guess the O.P needs to find out if their illness will make them be classed as an O.A.P in spain but tbh i cant see them allowing that unless they are a resident already and then want to claim.

Other than that i cant see a medical insurer covering them unless its for a crazy price. And without proof of health care you cant get residencia.

You can get practically everything over the counter at a chemist but if you already have a condition you have to decide whether taking the risk of living in spain with no health cover is worth it
Last edited by elusive on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Wicksey wrote:
Manchesteral wrote:. I take my Spanish health card when I go there, so hope I am still under the NHS system when I'm there :think: ).
Think again :-)

I was in a farmacia in Madrid a few months ago buying some things after my op. My next box of prescription metaformin was due, so I thought I'd get them while I was there as it'll save me a walk to my local farmacia. I gave them my NHS card and they said that they couldn't dispense the pills as my card was from Andalucia.

I could apparently pay for them and claim the cost back when I got home. For 2euros it wasn't worth the trouble of trying to get it refunded., but maybe a lesson there should more expensive drugs/treatment be required.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 am

casita-bonita wrote:
Wicksey wrote:. I take my Spanish health card when I go there, so hope I am still under the NHS system when I'm there :think: ).
Think again :-)
I was thinking more of if I fell ill. I would hope that they would see that I am on the system somewhere in Spain! I take holidays and travel within mainland Spain so if the Andalucia health card doesn't cover me what does?

Going back to the OP, it would seem that it is not going to be easy to get on the NHS here not now that the rules of obtaining residencia have changed.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:54 am

Wicksey wrote: I was thinking more of if I fell ill. I would hope that they would see that I am on the system somewhere in Spain! I take holidays and travel within mainland Spain so if the Andalucia health card doesn't cover me what does?
My local pharmacist assured me that our Andalucia health cards cover us anywhere in Spain which includes the islands.
Also read the back of the card
Can't use it for getting prescription medicines at the reduced rate.
But if you keep the box how can probably get the money back when you are at a pharmacist in Andulucia.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 am

I expect that you're right regarding treatment anywhere in the country, but hope that I don't have to find out the hard way...
Regards

Bob

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Interesting regarding the Spanish Health cards. My neighbour (Spanish) has been telling me for a long time now to say I have lost my ´red card´ so I can have it replaced with the ´green card´and use that on a day to day basis, keeping my red card in a safe place, like she and all her family have done. She says if I lose my red card it will be replaced by a green card and I will never get a red card again. I have had my red card for over 13 years now, I work and am not yet an OAP.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Pilgrim 2 I have just had to get a new health card for my husband as his is ready for the knackers yard. I went to my local chemist and they did it from there. He has a red one. I was warned , however, not to use the card. The girl said once you apply for new card old one is deactivated although you can use the number just not the card.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:35 pm

What's a red card? I have been issued with a cream and green card with a chip on it and was issued this year.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm thinking that Grumpy the receptionist has an explanation on her counter.