20 Shades of Green.......

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

20 Shades of Green.......

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am

......8am, Yesterday.
Later than usual I performed the usual daily ritual of raising the window shutters in our lounge.
Hand over hand I raised the shutters slowly upwards, almost to the beat of a drum , just like raising the flag , a distant memory from my youth as a young sailor.
The normal welcoming glow of the sun and clear skies wasn't there to greet me yesterday.
Instead I was confronted with sheets of torrential rain and an angry grey and dark sky.
But as I studied the scene through sleepy eyes I was pleased to see the emerging countryside with splashes of 20 Shades of Green.
The dusty and water lacking crops and trees were now glistening and vibrant and happy....
And I was really happy to see the rain which would help to revitalize our almost uninterrupted view of the countryside and the slowly rising hills and the mountains behind.
But I was even more happy because I knew that the farmers and locals who make their living from the land would be well pleased, but would still comment that the rain is so welcome, but not enough.
I then cast my mind back to my previous life in the UK when looking out at the rain would make me despondent and sad because it was too frequent.
And I pondered with thoughts like 'wouldn't it be nice if we had more rain in dry and dusty Spain (and not just on the plain) and less rain in waterlogged UK'....
But as always I will make the most of whatever is thrown at me........
Regards,
Gordon...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: 20 Shades of Green.......

Postby olive » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 am

Welcome rain but not enough. :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

A lovely post, Gordon!
I woke up this morning to the sound of rain hammering down outside and thought, oh b***er, I just washed all the windows yesterday. But by the time I got up the rain had stopped and the sun was breaking out, and best of all, the windows were still sparkling clean, whereas in Spain, the rain always coated everything in a thin film of red dust. I did worry about the weather, returning to the UK after so long in sunnier climes. But instead, I've found things like falling autumn leaves, chilly sea breezes and glowing rainbows things to be savoured.
Enjoy your weekend everyone, wherever you are!
:wave:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Hola

Lovely post - I actually took a picture of the crystal blue sky this morning as my brother in Canada said "Nasty overcast day with an expected high of 17C" and there was I sat overlooking the golden sands of the beach on a sunny day in this paradise that calls itself "España".
Davexf

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks guys...Appreciated . :thumbup:

Sights and Sounds...
So important to me for my memories and for many other people I suspect.
For instance the patter of rain on the windows takes me back to my childhood school holidays, when my Mother would say 'No playing out today, it's raining too much', and she would suddenly appear with a box full of board games and painting books.
So my day would still be full of fun , sat near the open fire listening to the rain with its constant patter, almost comforting and certainly a good memory.
But of course other memories are also triggered with sights and sounds, many bad and unpleasant and I'd rather forget than remember.....

So tomorrow promises to be warm and sunny and I'll make the most of it...
Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

Yesterday was a glorious sunny and hot day here. The rain on Saturday stopped quite early on and we didn't have very much really, a few more days of rain would be welcome as long as it's not the torrential stuff that washes everything away.

It's winter days like yesterday (and today come to that) that we are here for. Beautifully bright, blue skies, the mountains looked like they were in UltraHD 3D yesterday and to top it off we could see the Rif mountains on the horizon as the sun set.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I agree with you about the clarity in Winter. ( someone will be along to say it is Autumn). On our commute to the local town this morning we remarked about how wonderful the snow capped Sierra Nevadas looked and how we could see the none snow capped Maroma in the distance. 3D as you say.

Still don't enjoy cleaning the dog after a walk following wet spells. 35 litros per square metre is all we had.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Wicksey y Olive,
I've always considered November to be late autumn, but I could be wrong, where's our resident meteorological expert Sid, to advise?

I'm still not sure why we moved to Spain, obviously though the weather had something to do with it, and I really do enjoy most of the seasons in Spain, but admit that I do also miss the seasons in UK...quite different...!

And if I may ask the 'returnees' ..have you noticed any difference with health, better or worse or no different?

I'm particularly interested as my Father had bad arthritis and he always blamed the damp conditions in UK, and as his Father also had the condition I'm a little concerned that I might also start to suffer from it, but, everything crossed........ouch,.... apart from a few creaky bones and joints I'm OK at present....
Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm

I've had a few health issues since returning, which I've documented elsewhere, but nothing to do with change of location as far as I can make out - more just a case of being a bit older than I was when I was a bit younger! Mrs.M does suffer from arthritis, particularly the ankles & fingers, but again, if it's got a bit worse lately it seems more likely just because, well, it gets worse, doesn't it? She is on the lookout for a decent pair of gloves though!
I'm enjoying the British autumn (not winter here yet in my book either!) but obviously time will tell. However, right now, sitting in my study with no central heating on, it's a very comfortable 19.5°C; in January & February we couldn't get our Spanish apartment above 16° unless we kept the a/c on 24/7, which created a terribly stifling atmosphere (and electric bill) and had to resort to wearing several layers and fleeces etc.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 pm

BENIDORM wrote: I've always considered November to be late autumn, but I could be wrong,
I think you are right. Meteorogists would generally define, in temperate areas in the northern hemisphere, that Spring begins on 1st March, Summer on 1st June, Autumn on 1st September, and Winter on 1 December.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Meteorologists are just lazy. Having the seasons start on the 1st just makes it easier for them. the seasons still start as we were taught at school.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

They probably are, but it would be somewhat confusing if they all did it differently!

Personally, I would go forward a month here in Spain. It is difficult to describe this September as part of Autumn. They like to define the seasons in three month blocks. I would consider Autumn as Nov, Dec, Jan. Winter as Jan Feb Mar, Spring as Apr May and summer as Jun Jul Aug Sept.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Two things weather wise that we have NOT missed since leaving Spain are-

The dreadful summer heat (we seemed to hibernate from June onwards!)
The freezing house where we struggled to keep warm during Dec - Feb. Before moving to Spain we never owned an electric blanket. Brought it back but have never used it since returning. Such a delight to have central heating and a modern triple glazed and well insulated house!

That said we rarely had colds, probably because we were never in crowded places in Spain and, so far in the last two winters here, have avoided them also!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Well Sid, 2 Januaries and no October :(
Just a slip I assume.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 pm

Whoops - well spotted!

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks Sid,
Your explanation of the seasons agreed with thoughts that I had, but I suppose really everyone has the right to believe differently......

However Sid did make a mistake , but it now confirms that Sid is a real person and Not a Robot...!!

Regards,
Gordon

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 am

The seasons in the far north of Spain tend to be similar to the south of England. This year however, they have been a bit upside down. It rained throughout August and early September the got really hot through late September and October. This has meant that it stayed green throughout the summer and during the hot days in autumn the sweeping forests on the hills and mountains have been absolutely stunning this year.

Now we are getting the brownish red as the leaves drop off the trees. Great days to go for walks.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I am sure that people are healthier in a sunny climate. You get a lot of vitamins from the sun, Vitamin D for a start, as well as the fact it cheers you up no end. I do not think that I could cope with a winter in the UK although I would love the summers. Although when I was there this year in August and September, it was overcast for most of the time and also, as usual I caught a cold which turned into a hacking cough and it lasted the whole four weeks I was away and whats more I always seem to get colds when I am there. I rarely have a cold here in Spain.

I am not sure how it affects arthritis, some say there is worse in the Uk and other say it is the same as in Spain. I presume that it depents on what type of arthritis it is.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 pm

I dislike winter in both places. Swings and roundabouts. Agree with Masterob about the cold houses. Have spent some lovely days eating on the beach in Spain but equally some endless bad weather days. Eating in cold empty restaurants with our coats on. I don't like the dark nights and preferred Spain where I would watch the sunset over Gibraltar just after six. Here it is nearly dark at five. More to do in UK as geared to bad weather, lots going off. Can go to theatre, warm cosy pubs with good food etc. I don't obsess about it but do like to get some real tropical warmth in winter for a break. Can't see how health is an issue, I know ill and healthy Brits in both countries. Cold weather is not limited to UK. Most of Europe has cold winter plus much of USA. If you are happy in your own skin weather is not a deciding factor. Ideally I would like my house and garden, the people who live nearby, shops etc and a Marbella climate but you can't have it all.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:28 pm

I suppose that the kind of house and location can make great differences with regard to them being warm and cosy or freezing cold in winter and too hot in summer.
But now most modern houses in Spain have central heating and double glazing and air-con pre-installed and of course many older houses have had heating systems installed, we just move into a smaller room for the winter and it's very warm and cosy and economical to heat.
And we have used an under or over electric blanket in both UK and Spain and still prefer it to the more modern 'special duvets' available now..
We don't have flu jabs( not happy about being injected with a virus), and since we've cut down dramatically in using aircraft for traveling we've not had any serious flu/colds, just the occasional sniffle...
We also avoid anywhere that anyone is smoking and visitors from the UK have to go through a decontamination unit before entering our house ( joke )..

Regards,
Gordon....