Source of 4k films etc

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
morlandg
Resident

Source of 4k films etc

Postby morlandg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm

I have just bought a smart 4k uhd TV. Where does one get 4k films etc to view on said TV?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Source of 4k films etc

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Netflix offer a lot of series and their own produced films in 4K for around 12euros a month.
Amazon Prime allows you to watch their video content, some of which is in 4K but at the moment is rather limited.
You should be able to have free one month trials of both to test the waters.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Hopefully you have a Fibre connection as you need about 25mb/s at the TV.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Be worth seeing in 4k if your tv is compatible
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Sid - I have symmetric 300 Mbps fibre connection with Movistar.I notice you say 'at the TV' - is that significant? Do I have to have a VPN installed to download and run BBC iPlayer?
firsttango - that bbc report looks as though I will need to have the iplayer installed.
Graham

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Most members with a Samsung Smart TV have changed the apps store to the Uk version. If you put your model number into Google, it will throw up the process if it is possible with you model.
It’s pretty simple to do.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 pm

morlandg wrote:Sid - I have symmetric 300 Mbps fibre connection with Movistar.I notice you say 'at the TV' - is that significant? Do I have to have a VPN installed to download and run BBC iPlayer?
firsttango - that bbc report looks as though I will need to have the iplayer installed.
Graham
That should be fine. Depending on how your TV is connected, some loss of speed may occur but with 300 Fibre, that won’t be a problem.

As Mark pointed out, you will need to hack your TV apps to get the UK Smart TV apps. It’s easy with a Samsung but more difficult or impossible on some other makes. If you sort that out you will need a VPN or Smart DNS to get BBC etc. Netflx is available in Spain and so is Amazon, but both have slightly less content than the UK versions.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 pm

firsttango wrote:Be worth seeing in 4k if your tv is compatible
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220
Pity, it seems that most 4K TVs over a year old won’t be able to see it in UHD. I would really like to see the series in 4K def.
It seems that only a Roku stick 3810eu will work. It costs around £70 but I don’t know if my wife will let me put yet another streaming gadget on the TV.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm

The way I read the BBC site was that to get the best picture using their new HDR system, it would have to be a newer set, but that others would still get the basic UHD picture. We will see in a few days. I also notice that the iPlayer app on the TV has had some significant changes which will take a bit of getting used to, however the content has been improved with tons of stuff from their archives. “Favourites” seem to have morphed into “Added Programs” in addition to an option to list unfinished programs that you aborted before it finished.

At least the BBC keep adding features whereas the ITV Hub just gets worse and worse in terms of usability.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

Anyone seen the BBC demo Ultra HD wildlife clips on Iplayer?, incredible quality. Baffles me how they outclass so called 4k offerings from both Amazon and Netflix.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Changing our LG UHDTV into the UK apps was easy, I think I just changed my address to a UK one on the set up pages. I don't have the CH5 catchup (not that I would use it much) but can other apps be added? We are lucky to get 4mbps so not sure I'll ever be able to watch UHD :(

Morlandg I use SmartyDNS installed in my wifi to be able to access the UK catch-up channels via my TV.