iPad lightening charger cables

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ashtondav
Resident

iPad lightening charger cables

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

I seem to be getting through charger cables like a dose of salts. Some last me two weeks, some longer but they soon expire. Confusingly they still charge my iPhone. I buy them from Tesco, Apple, B&M - all with the same result. Nothing to do with dirt in the charging dock as it charges when I buy a new one and I get the same results and reaction on my wife’s iPad.

Am I alone in having to buy these damned cables more frequently than I would wish!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: iPad lightening charger cables

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm

I tend to get the same problem although I have never had a problem with an original Apple one where it just stops working.
The problem I get with them is that the cable splits and I have to use insulating tape to keep them going. Funnily enough, I have still have some really old ones with the old connection and a converter which still work fine.
You can definitely see a difference in the cable quality.
My experience has been to stick to Apple because in the end you are replacing them less often.

It is actually now possible with the new Iphones to survive without any cables at all if you use sevices such as spotify for music, a cloud sevice for photos and documents, photo and video editing software on the phone and a cordless charger.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Genuine Apple last longer but you still have to treat them with care. I hold the plastic piece to disconnect from phone but my son just pulls them out by the wire cable. Even genuine apple don’t like this and split very quickly.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Apple cocked up big-time with the 'lightning' connector. If you look up lightning connector problems on the web, you'll find they knew they were under-spec'd and flawed when they launched them, but went ahead anyway. Legal action has been mooted, and Apple have had to replace thousands under warranty, it seems.

The problem is the tiny contacts. Dirt and fluff can get into the device socket, causing poor contact. Charging can involve currents up to 2amp, and the contacts and contact-pressure just aren't really up to it. Poor contact causes arcing, and the first casualty if the very thin gold plating on the lightning plug (some cheaper lead manufacturers * don't even gold plate). Under the gold plating is (I think) steel, and even this can get pitted by the arcing.

Advice above, to buy genuine Apple leads, is best. Also keep them clean, with a good aerosol contact cleaner. Pitted contacts can sometimes be buffed smooth again using a Dremel felt wheel and contact cleaner, but not always successful.

iPads present a charging challenge to the connector (high current), and phones another one (pocket lint). Keep the device sockets clean.

Well done Apple. This problem is unknown for all your competitors.

* Apple's own charger leads are thin and fragile enough, but cheap alternatives can have even thinner conductors inside, and can charge at half the rate of the Apple items.
Chris

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm

What I don’t understand is that they remain able to recharge the iPhone (5)

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Without actually seeing your charger to me it says there is a fault with the iPad Port or it has some lint/debris in the Port causing a bad/intermittent connection. I had a similar problem awhile ago and used iphone torch to look inside and then used a very small bristle brush and gently cleaned away the fluff that was compressed right at the back of connection.

https://appletoolbox.com/2016/12/iphone ... blems-fix/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Oh the joys of an iPhone X. I can’t remember what I did with the cable! Thinking about it, it’s probably still in the box!

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Crikey, an apple revelation! :shock: :crazy: Been using wireless charging for years on my trusty old LGG4 :lolno: :wave:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 pm

I didn’t suggest that it was an innovation, but it is new to Apple and this thread is about Apple. In time all devices will use wireless charging and there are plenty of adaptors that will convert an existing phone to wireless charging.

It will also work in some newer cars.

Sid

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 pm

I’ve got 4 genuine Apple lightning cables and every one of them is held together with insulating tape.
I know my iPad Air needs a hefty charger but would an iPad mini get away with using one of the wireless chargers being talked about? Incidentally Sid, if your cable is still in the box, can I have it pretty please?!
AlisonB

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm

I’ve had my I-pad and I-phone for two years now, use the same charger cable, and have never had a problem with it. Am I just more careful or plain lucky ?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm

As Sid rightly says, there are plenty of adaptors out there that will convert a whole range of phones to wireless charging a good example is the Powermat that would charge an iPhone 4 way back in 2010.....so nothing different or ground breaking with the 2015 LGG4, which you had to buy as extra the circle case or similar add ons to make it wireless....No LGG4 shipped with wireless as Standard.