Chainsaw Purchase

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
gerrynag
Resident

Chainsaw Purchase

Postby gerrynag » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a chainsaw in the Velez or Malaga areas ? Haven't decided whether to go for an electric or petrol one, so any advice on that, would also be gratfully received. Thanks in advance.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chainsaw Purchase

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Cano just off the A7 at Rincon.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi gerrynag,
One of our Members was singing the praises in this Thread of electric one............

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... aw#p359411

Will depend on what you want to use it for..........I always get a Pro pruner in for the olive trees, and the Woodman cuts any over size logs after delivery.

Some light viewing...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-axeQWb-s
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Can thoroughly recommend this Bosch electric chainsaw...
Bosch AKE 35-19S.
Bought ours from Amazon, but see below Other sizes available.

This powerful electric saw is good for occasional/intermittent use. Also quiet and almost vibration-free, and no problem with fuel, spark-plugs or starting. You may need a long extension lead, though!

Round here, olive and almond are two extremely hard/dense woods, but a good chainsaw blade will zip through them. Far better than Bosch's original or own blades are the legendary Stihl ones. For the above saw, you need a PM3 blade (micro-mini, low-vibration, 3mm claw), which is tungsten-carbide tipped. These TCT tipped blades can last for hours/days of cutting (if you avoid stones and nails). Not really worth re-sharpening, as a replacement blade* is only about €9...

*Blades (take your old one, so they get the size and length right) - and tools - from Agrosarmiento, SL - in Velez-Malaga:
http://www.agrosarmiento.com/home.htm
Big shop on the main road (C/Blas Infante), where you should go first time.
Their chain workshop (they cut it off a Stihl reel) is in the next street.
Very professional and nice folk to deal with.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:54 pm

If you prefer having two legs - or indeed don't fancy having to get an automatic! - take note of the proper gear - helmet/visor, protective gloves and "chainsaw" trousers. They are not for casual amateurs. I lost a good friend years ago who was up a tree, pruning, slipped and the saw swung on its safety cord, chopping off his legs on the way.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Petrol every time. I've used a chainsaw for 40 years as an amateur. Still got both legs. Just be sensible!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I disagree, They are lethal bits of kit. 100s of deaths with people getting a kick and the saw bouncing back and hitting there face or neck.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Just take a look at how much time a recognised trainer advises, and what a range there is....http://www.andyschainsawtraining.co.uk/courses/
In my view they are as potentially lethal as a shotgun, and should be as restricted in a similar way.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am

You MUST treat them as potentially lethal.
Chris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Of course they are potentially lethal, but so is a car. More people die in them than with a chainsaw!

One bit of advice, however. Don't use one on a yucca. I did today and it's taken me an hour to clean the drive sprocket!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Before driving a car there is training (optional I suppose) and testing of competence, plus laws on how they should be used, plus copious safety measures like seat belts, fitness testing ( both car and driver in Spain), which makes them a country mile from Pepe Bloggs walking in to a ferreteria and handing over a few notes.....and has anyone ever known of a Spanish man reading an instruction booklet let alone keeping it for reference... :roll:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi,
After the purchase of the full kit and done the courses this is a must have..........one man operated.

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Of course they are potentially lethal, but so is a car. More people die in them than with a chainsaw!
People who haven't done the basic chainsaw training usually don't understand how dangerous they are. Using a chainsaw is dangerous even for a trained professional and being a chainsaw operator is one of the more dangerous professions, many times more dangerous than being a police officer.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Of course they are potentially lethal, but so is a car. More people die in them than with a chainsaw!

One bit of advice, however. Don't use one on a yucca. I did today and it's taken me an hour to clean the drive sprocket!
Yes but pro rata people who drive cars and people who use chain saws??? Not even an argument

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Had a few trees tidied up by a local expert and he scared me half to death the way he was wielding it about, but seemed to know what he was doing as he left with all limbs intact and did a great job
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I have a chainsaw but I am scared to death to use it! We have an "occasional" gardener and he uses it. His main job includes pruning a few hundred palms in Almunecar for the council so he knows what he is doing!

I do have a chainsaw on an extending pole (from Lidl) and I use that occasionally as it keeps me out of range of the sharp bits!

Sid

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

I am in my seventies, a bit arthriticky but have to get on and cut up all my own firewood . Very sad . . . there are times when a man around the house would be very useful! I have a Bosch electric chainsaw and it is brilliant. Has an excellent safety cut out. Need to keep the chain sharp and use your common sense. . . . and stop for a rest when you are tired.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 pm

gerrynag wrote:Can anyone suggest where I can buy a chainsaw in the Velez or Malaga areas ? Haven't decided whether to go for an electric or petrol one, so any advice on that, would also be gratfully received. Thanks in advance.
I have both, I honestly can't say I find a difference between them in terms of practicality !!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm

The electric ones are fine for fingers and toes, but for real work like a thigh bone you need a good 2-stroke.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:44 pm

peteroldracer wrote:The electric ones are fine for fingers and toes, but for real work like a thigh bone you need a good 2-stroke.
The effect of the chainsaw has absolutely nothing to do with how it is powered, the difference is that you don't need to have an extension cable for a gasoline engine.