Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Capitan-Roberto wrote:
Manchesteral wrote:I have over the years, repeatedly sang the praises of Royal car hire, based in Calahonda, they will deliver to the airport,and pick up when you've done, full full fuel policy.
They are a family firm and because they are competing with bigger fish they will always go the extra mile !
Can you post contact details, if not breaking forum rules. Tried searching for them and got either a website selling insurance, or a property rental site that links to Malagacar.com (perhaps this is it?)
Thanks

See enriques post !!

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi,
A quick search throws up.............If you search A.com for Royal Car Hire ....Members have mentioned it over the years......... :idea:

Alquiler de Automóviles - Dirección: El Zoco 20, (29649) Mijas Costa, Málaga - Teléfono: 9529327..

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Are you really not allowed to post the website address?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi ashtondav,
My reading over the years is if you DON'T have a Commercial interest in the linked site and it answers a question you're good to go.

Example a Member wrote an e-book and Posted a link to it..........a no no

Also to quote a Mod........

"Please also note that links in your signature to a site in which you have a commercial interest are also not allowed.

Sorry but those are the rules."
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm

just returned to uk having had another good experience with RecordGo. there was a bit of a hard sell on the excess insurance which we always politely decline as we have our own annual policy to cover any excess. otherwise all good. I especially like that (if you ask) they stamp your agreement "car returned undamaged" and that you get an email within 24hrs confirming return of fuel charge (if returned with full tank) and 'release' of 1100euros deposit.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Flash, that's good news. They used to have an appalling reputation. Now we just have to wait for the transformation of Goldcar and delpasso. Can't wait for Gus to enlighten us on the latter in the new year.

And I posted the royal website and think my post was pulled. Don't understand as no personal link and in financial incentive!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Goldcar was featured this morning on Rip off Britain. Probably on iplayer if you can get it. Operating in many countries throughout the world now although seems to be Spanish owned/run.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Goldcar have recently been taken over by europcar. Time will tell if theres an improvement. Thousands of posts on T.A about how bad they are

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 pm

I have used Goldcar several times without a problem apart from the queuing, which seems to affect all the cheaper car hire firms at the airport. Centura are also good, though they prices seem to have increased recently. I wouldn't touch Firefly with a barge pole after very bad experience with them at Murcia, was queuing for over an hour and a half as they pressurised people to pay their over-priced insurance. They really tried to put the fear of god into people about the costs of having an accident and not having their insurance. Not had that experence with other companies. Sure they try to sell you the extra insurance, but normally stop pretty quickly when you tell them you have your own insurance, (which is something Firefly don't do).

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Well, it's time for me to do my usual hire firm check for my forthcoming trip in May ! I'm inclining towards Malagacar, and was wondering if there are any recent comments re this firm.
I see they provide half a tank of fuel, for which you are charged ("between 30€ & 65€ depending on hire group") & you then return it empty, which shouldn't be a problem for me, as we're only there for a week & the longest trip is likely to be up towards Antequera.
What's the pickup situation like ? Last time it was a 'bus' under the tunnel area & a mad scramble at the office - I'm guessing it will be much the same ?
All comments gratefully received :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Malagacar.com have become VERY popular. Long queues are often the case in peak times and at holidays. The service is good, but my last car was a basket case, so not used for 18 months. A more recent hirer may give a more positive response. It takes 5 minutes to process a client so if you have 10 in front of you, it's gonna be an hour. Bus under the tunnel is dead right, but usually no problem.

I seem to recall their fuel policy was fairer than you quote but, as i say, it was 18 months ago.

I would avoid fiefly, goldcar and delpasso like the pile of dog sh*t they are. Again newer hirers may indicate improvement from their satanic practices of yore....

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

I totally agree about Delpaso - they tried to rip me off a few years back with an outrageous claim for a tiny hairline scratch that was probably there when we took it. Thankfully the hire car insurance paid up with no problem, but it pi**ed me off that Delpaso got away with it.
I've used Goldcar & Record in the past, but both were dropped due to very long queues (2 hours !!); Firefly was OK, but hanging around in a fume-filled garage was not good for hubby who had a terminal lung condition :-(

I noticed on Malagacar's site that you can now complete your details online, which will save a lot of time & hopefully keep the queues to a 'reasonable' level ;-)
Anyone else care to comment ?

Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicknjh23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:04 am

ashtondav wrote:Malagacar.com have become VERY popular. Long queues are often the case in peak times and at holidays. The service is good, but my last car was a basket case, so not used for 18 months. A more recent hirer may give a more positive response. It takes 5 minutes to process a client so if you have 10 in front of you, it's gonna be an hour. Bus under the tunnel is dead right, but usually no problem.

I seem to recall their fuel policy was fairer than you quote but, as i say, it was 18 months ago.

I would avoid fiefly, goldcar and delpasso like the pile of dog sh*t they are. Again newer hirers may indicate improvement from their satanic practices of yore....
Malaga Car have been great to us. We did pay the extra insurance as we didn’t want any problems. Easy pick up. Nice little Corsa. Half a tank of fuel and you return it half full. We returned the Car five days early on our month rental an received a refund
Very happy and absolutely no problems.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am

I used to like Malaga car and we used them often...That was before they became VERY popular, we too always paid the extra insurance back then, mostly because we were quite new to carhire and it gave us peace of mind..Paying the extra insurance also meant express check out at the desk...That soon changed with the panic of so many waiting people, they seemed to forget about the express desk...Waiting for the bus at the airport could easily turn into a 45min wait while they dealt with the amount of people waiting to be picked up..They operate a ticket system and if you havent picked up your ticket in the airport terminal then you are stuck, although ive seen some people jump the bus que without a ticket much to the furious reaction from other waiting passengers....
I think the straw that broke the camels back was when we were stopped by the police because the car we rented from them didnt have an ITV...My son drove 2hrs back to Malaga to change the car and they refused to change it...Never again will we hire from them.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm about to book with Malagacar - if I remember correctly, they used to have a 'discount' code. Is that still the case, and if so does anyone know what it is ;-) ?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Dont think they do them so often now. You now register and they give you automatic discounts depending on the number of hires. You used to be able to get them by befriending them on Facebook but I cant see anything on there.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks for looking - looks like the full price then ;-)

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 am

How the discount code works is on the left of the page there is a login window.
There is also a password recovery so if you were signed up you be able to recover.

Does anyone know the best option for annual excess insurance and which country best to buy in?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am

I have used these for years
https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/#0

On the opening page you can get a quote and it asks for the country you are living in and the policy will cover you for either just Europe or the wider world.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am

Wicksey thanks for the link.
Do you tell the people when you are picking up car? or is it completely separate.
I did read an article that not all companies accept this and want to sell insurance with car.

regards.