Keeping a pet. EU Directive ? ?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
scotty
Resident

Keeping a pet. EU Directive ? ?

Postby scotty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 am

Not in Spain but has anyone heard about an EU Directive that would over ride community rules on keeping a pet ? In our community in Spain someone mentioned that it "could" be against EU laws to stop someone having a pet. All comments welcome. Thanks.

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Keeping a pet. EU Directive ? ?

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

That's a good question scotty, in the block of apartments where I rent in Las Palmas (35 apartments) there is a huge sign in the foyer saying "No esta permitido que los residentes de los apartmentos tengan perros en estas instalaciones" loosely translated as "residents are not allowed to keep dogs" !

However there are at least three or four residents who do, I've always understood this to be a community rule which a number of residents are ignoring.

It would be interesting to know how the law interprets this.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:56 pm

In our community in Spain the house rules say no dogs. But we have relaxed this as long as the dogs are kept on a lead and dont bark all the time (cause annoyance) and don't do their business on the grass . I had heard the EU were passing a directive that would make it a human right to have a pet.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Sounds like the E U, As a matter of interest, my American friend tells me it's getting beyond a joke now in the states, he told me of a flight he was travelling on from Las Vegas to Los Angeles (which is only about 25 minutes) that a woman tried to board with a huge pyrenean mountain dog, the cabin crew refused to allow it, the woman then started screaming that it was a "comfort dog" and her human right to travel with it, they ejected her of course !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I hope she had to pay for a seat for it! Although id prefer a great big hairy dog over a great big hairy human sat next to me

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Well, I finally managed to speak to the building administrator today, regarding the dog thing and she told me if the dog is peaceful and well behaved we usually ignore it but if the landlord says no then its between you and him, and now my keyboard has gone skewiff and giving me slashes when I want apostrophes, shk\3.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 pm

I think it is every persons right to own pet, i also believe that property owners can stipulate who rents their property and the "terms and conditions"
of same.
I am thinking that if a person wants an absolute guarantee to own a pet they likely need to buy a place of their own for the pet to reside with them.
I cannot see how this law could be imposed on property owners.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 pm

I bought several properties at one time or another and never saw one that allowed pets . I am sure someone, (I cannot imagine who!)will say this is incorrect, but it is my experience. It can be discretionary from the freeholder, however.

I do wonder about buy to let, (and Air B&B) though, because many leases say you can't. I suppose newbuild leases maybe permit it, but I mostly bought in central London and most landlords were very strict about it.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm

I wouldnt want to rent to or live beside homes with packs of dogs or cats though

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

Like many other landlords in the UK, we stipulated no pets (along with no smokers or DSS) when we rented out our house. The tenants have guinea pigs which isn't a problem but knowing how much our own cats used to love destroying our carpets I didn't want that to happen in our house. Will that mean that UK landlords will not be able to refuse pets I wonder (until we Brexit of course!).

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 pm

This is extreme. A couple of months ago, a woman on an island in the Outer Hebrides had her horse taken from her. She had fallen out with the owner of the paddock where she kept the horse. So she took it home to her small terraced council house. with very small garden. Neighbours complained about their concern for the horse restricted space etc. SCPCA turned up and ordered it removed as not suitable space and other anxiety concerns. The woman spent two years appealing court orders citing it was perfectly fine and well looked after, her human right, her devastation if she lost her pet etc probably at great cost to public as she doesn't work. Media publicity to garner support and all that. Anyway, she had exhausted all lines and eventually had to concede the horse. Seems it is thriving well in its new suitable home.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon May 28, 2018 1:05 pm

It would be fine if all pet owners were responsible but they arnt. I know of at least two people who allowed their tenants to have dogs and the carpets as well as the doors were completely ruined, not to mention that one of the tenants dogs barked and barked all day long as it was left all on its own. I do allow cats but even that got out of hand. I stipulated one cat and in the end there were three all living as house cats and further more it was stated in the lease that she would have it professionally cleaned when she left, however she didnt and even though I went through the process with the deposit all I got was £35.00 towards the cleaning and three cats leave a lot of hairs behind as well as the litter trays inside the flat leaving a mess and puss cat paws on all the tops. I would let someone have a cat, but not a dog even though I have had a bad experience with the tenant who had three cats.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 pm

maureenscot wrote:This is extreme. A couple of months ago, a woman on an island in the Outer Hebrides had her horse taken from her. She had fallen out with the owner of the paddock where she kept the horse. So she took it home to her small terraced council house. with very small garden. Neighbours complained about their concern for the horse restricted space etc. SCPCA turned up and ordered it removed as not suitable space and other anxiety concerns. The woman spent two years appealing court orders citing it was perfectly fine and well looked after, her human right, her devastation if she lost her pet etc probably at great cost to public as she doesn't work. Media publicity to garner support and all that. Anyway, she had exhausted all lines and eventually had to concede the horse. Seems it is thriving well in its new suitable home.
As a long time horse owner/keeper/rider I would say that it's absolutely not good for the well being of the animal.
Any horse bigger than a shetland needs at least1½ - 2 acres of free space, not just for exercise but for grazing as well. I sympathise with anyone who finds themself in this situation but keeping any animal in unsuitable conditions is basically cruelty !!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Totally agree. I think she put her own feelings above the horse and refused to see it