Perhaps life in Spain's not so bad...

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Perhaps life in Spain's not so bad...

Postby hillybilly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:05 pm

...just heard on the radio about heavy snow in Scotland, Wales and the N of England and here am I, working (putting in a window!) in shorts and T-shirt, temp 80F plus in the sun, the smell of almond blossom, swallows flying all around... :D

Geraint G

Re: Perhaps life in Spain's not so bad...

Postby Geraint G » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Yup - quite a bit of it here in Wales, but not enough to stop me walking down to the village boozer for a dinnertime pint.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Perhaps life in Spain's not so bad...

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:23 pm

hillybilly wrote:...just heard on the radio about heavy snow in Scotland, Wales and the N of England and here am I, working (putting in a window!) in shorts and T-shirt, temp 80F plus in the sun, the smell of almond blossom, swallows flying all around... :D
Yes it certainly is a day to lift the spirits....it certainly has in our house, my wife has been following Katys thread about life in Spain and feeling the urge to move as well (but not back to UK)

Mike

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Seems like the weather in Spain has got sunnier since the bout of rain and snow a few weeks ago? Hope it stays - we will be there in three weeks!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:38 pm

Yes, a great day :D Had the boat out for a couple of hours, early brunch, in a little cove, scrambled eggs and prawns, couple of glasses of rosado. Time for a rest in the garden now, what a change from last week! :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Nicks wrote:Seems like the weather in Spain has got sunnier since the bout of rain and snow a few weeks ago? Hope it stays - we will be there in three weeks!
I'm with you, hope it stays, that is! We'll be there this coming Saturday. But don't worry Silver, I won't be heading down your way! ;-) I'll give a wide berth. Here with us, it's drizzly at the moment, we don't normally do snow. It can drizzle all it wants today, just about to settle down for the rugby.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:43 pm

not bad at all -
saturday lunch outside
artichokes, a vinaigrette, a codorniu benjamin
saturday evening
dorada and sliced lomo off the grill, garden salad, a white wine
sunday lunch outside
garden vegetable soup, cornbread, codorniu...

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:57 pm

Trigger wrote:OK, OK! All you smug peeps over there. Its not that bad here in Barnet. We had lunch in our local fish restaurant, with weak sun shining through the window (no snow here). The meal was only £100 for three of us - house wine £12 a bottle, still water £3 a bottle, whole sea bream £14, potatoes an extra £2, vegetables an extra £2. need I go on?
Just like Frank we settled down to watch the rugby. England were **** and got a good tonking from the French.
Last night we had a barbecue outside, it was only -1C and light drizzle/sleet, the snows not due here for a few days.
The council tax bills will be dropping through the letter boxes any day now, fuel prices have gone up here by more than they have in Spain, it costs a fortune to heat our little two bedroom semi. But there is one thing that keeps me going and that is knowing that our house is warmer and more comfortable than Katy's mansion!
No life here is not so bad!
Oh and by the way the 10 day forecast says you have got rain all next weekend and we are partly sunny, only 5 degrees, but partly sunny.
Jealous? No not me. Roll on September...
I was already depressed with the rugby, I switched off half way though, I couldn't take any more! And now you mentioned the weather! ;-) Sure enough, I looked at the 10 day look ahead, and it's great until Sat, the day we arrive, and then it show just rain and showers for the next 4 days! And they were all bragging about the great Spanish weather! ;-)

Edit. Not sure how this leapfrogged your post! And can anyone tell me the point of this.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Regards, Frank

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:19 pm

OK, OK! All you smug peeps over there. Its not that bad here in Barnet. We had lunch in our local fish restaurant, with weak sun shining through the window (no snow here). The meal was only £100 for three of us - house wine £12 a bottle, still water £3 a bottle, whole sea bream £14, potatoes an extra £2, vegetables an extra £2. need I go on?
Just like Frank we settled down to watch the rugby. England were **** and got a good tonking from the French.
Last night we had a barbecue outside, it was only -1C and light drizzle/sleet, the snows not due here for a few days.
The council tax bills will be dropping through the letter boxes any day now, fuel prices have gone up here by more than they have in Spain, it costs a fortune to heat our little two bedroom semi. But there is one thing that keeps me going and that is knowing that our house is warmer and more comfortable than Katy's mansion!
No life here is not so bad!
Oh and by the way the 10 day forecast says you have got rain all next weekend and we are partly sunny, only 5 degrees, but partly sunny.
Jealous? No not me. Roll on September...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey, I don't have a mansion :o

Frank, don't pay too much attention to the forecast, they're always wrong, said it would rain Friday and it was about 25C.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

weather

Postby meseta » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:57 pm

disagree with your forecast there, maybe a few showers on the morning of the 17th , but until then should be dry and warm.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Dont know where you get the forcast from, all I can add is even the temp during the coldest evening is higher than the UKs warmest daytime temp, when it rains here at least its not freezing, believe me it makes one hell of a difference

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml ... 0198&links

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: weather

Postby frank » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 pm

meseta wrote:disagree with your forecast there, maybe a few showers on the morning of the 17th , but until then should be dry and warm.
I hope you're right, and I'm wrong! But I'm talking about sarting the 18th. This is the one I looked at
http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage/Lo ... odnav=none
Regards, Frank

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:29 am

Forecasts are a waste of time anyway. While in UK (NW) it has done nothing but rain (normal), then snowed today (Sunday).

As trigger said, council tax gone up, gas gone up, and also electric gone up.

In UK last week, BG gone up 25%, NPower 30% overall after 2 months when everyone switched to NPower wot a con...

Don't care what anyone says, it is still cheaper to live in Spain

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:38 am

SORRY, FRANK. I didn't mean to depress you as well. Look on the positive side, they badly need the rain over there and it's never too long before the sun comes out again! :D We remained upbeat when we arrived in a downpour on Saturday night a couple of weeks ago. Monday the sun was out all day and everything was that much greener for it.
Oh, by the way, at the time of writing it looks like England are going to lose the cricket as well! :cry:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:11 am

But don't worry Silver, I won't be heading down your way!
Frank..don't kid yourself...you don´t worry me at all...wherever you are heading, as you have no idea whatsoever where my way is.
Friday may be a little cloudy but the sun will be out to welcome all on the 18th... that is... unless I start singing
:lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 am

Trigger wrote:SORRY, FRANK. I didn't mean to depress you as well. Look on the positive side, they badly need the rain over there and it's never too long before the sun comes out again! :D We remained upbeat when we arrived in a downpour on Saturday night a couple of weeks ago. Monday the sun was out all day and everything was that much greener for it.
Oh, by the way, at the time of writing it looks like England are going to lose the cricket as well! :cry:
I realise you take a risk with the weather this time of year, about 2 years ago it rained nearly all the time we were there! I like photography, so it doesn´t have to be really sunny, just dry enough to get out and about. I´m easily pleased! Cricket? We´ll have to blame the injuries. ;-)
Regards, Frank

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:30 pm

I came back to the UK yesterday afternoon after 8 days in Velez-Malaga. Apart from rain the first night we arrived and a chilly breeze the following day, the weather has been absolutely glorious all week. Frank - I only needed our gas heater on in the house on 1 evening out of 8, as I know you worry about keeping warm in Spain!

Had a 2 hour delay on the way out as the runway at Manchester was closed due to snow. Arrived back in Rossendale yesterday afternoon and had to get a spade out of the house to dig away snow before we were able to park the car. Haven't seen snow as bad as this for about 3 years, and I bet it has killed off all my spring bulbs. Oh my god I hope someone buys my house soon, I can't wait to move!

Had a meal in a lovely restaurant in Torre del Mar on Saturday night run by a Belgian chef and his Spanish wife - one of us had 2 courses and the greedy one (me) had 3 including a whole sole for main course, 2 bottles of wine at 7.5E each and the entire bill came to less than 49 Euros.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Murder !!
Robberies !!
Gas price increase !!
Snow !!
£15 for a bottle of wine !!

I think some of you need take the following Stress Test

Just click on and follow instructions

http://webpages.charter.net/hkirtley/stress
Hardworking resident !!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:20 pm

Moving Soon, what was the name of the restaurant? It sounds like my kind of place!

Good luck with the house sale.