Spanish Lessons

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Shell
Tourist

Spanish Lessons

Postby Shell » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:08 pm

I am looking for some advice on Spanish lessons for my daughter - she appears to be doing quite well in Spanish School but we need to get extra lessons, the people I have contacted have said she is more advanced than they are at speaking I cant seem to find any extra help with the written languor, also the school are unable to recommend any one

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm

|As a teacher, various questions, would first need to be asked :

How old is she??
How long have you been here??
What's the rtaio of Spanish kids & British kids in the school?

Most importantly, which area do you live in??

Loads more of course to see which way to go,
but others on here may be able to help, depending on where you are, and the answers to the other questions.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:14 am

If it's the written rather than the spoken that she needs help with, why not use the many programmes on the internet, CD ROMs etc? Depending on her age, as an incentive, you could even suggest she work for a GCSE or A level in Spanish, studying from books and online and taking the exam at an international school nearby?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Lessons

Postby hillybilly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:39 am

Shell wrote:the people I have contacted have said she is more advanced than they are at speaking
If she's more advanced than a native Spanish speaker doesn't sound like there's a problem...unless the Spanish language teachers you're contacting are English? So maybe you need to find a native Spaniard where you live for private lessons? Surely one of her schoolteachers would welcome some extra € for giving private tuition?

Shell
Tourist

Spanish Lessons

Postby Shell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 am

In answer to questions My Daughter is 14 we have been here 3 years she is in her 2nd full year at school, the teachers are unable to recommend a tutor, the tutors I have contacted are English and Danish with degrees in Spanish, also we are in the Fuengirola Area

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:38 pm

Why not contact the various language schools around eg Cervantes, Malaga University etc to see what they can offer? Does sound as if you need a native Spanish teacher though rather than an expat one.

Shell
Tourist

Postby Shell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies I have been looking for a native Spanish teacher or person but have been unable to find any one who is available outside of school hours also have been trying to find an out of school club that helps with the curriculum and problems they may have with Spanish homework etc

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:17 pm

consider putting up a notice, asking for some help, or approach her teachers. There wilkl be someone somewhere who can help, it's just a matter of finding them!!
Maybe some retires tecaher, glad of some company for an hour or two, and to kepp the brain cells active!!
It seems unfortunate that those you have contacetd so far cant help, and arent capable of it, but maybe they shouldnt be teaching at all!!

Shell
Tourist

Postby Shell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks for the advice but I have already done those things like putting up notices etc, just keep trying different avenues