Quick question re licence exchange

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Quick question re licence exchange

Postby Cadore33 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi guys

I'm resident in Spain (with Residencia) and have lost my UK licence. After visiting DVLA website, it appears it expired a while back lol...so I have a cita with Tráfico to exchange - got all my paperwork in order inc Certificate of Entitlement from Swansea, etc.....

My real question is two-fold:

i) Do I need anything extra re lost UK D/L....police report or such? and
2) Medical....do I have to do this BEFORE the cita or do I go to Tráfico first, get in the system and THEN get a medical....

Cheers all x

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Quick question re licence exchange

Postby olive » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:22 pm

My suspicion is as the UK licence has expired and you dont live there you will have to take your test here. An expert will be along to confirm or other.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Read a few cases where you have been able to exchange a uk licence to spanish after it has expired. So might not be an issue. I would wait inregards to your medical. They will tell you if you need one when you go (should do as your licence has expired and as theres different stages to getting it exchanged/replace you will have time to get a medical done

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Just an update in case it helps anyone else in the same situation...

Absolutely no issue whatsoever with the fact that UK licence had expired, merely showed Certificate of Entitlement from DVLA. Popped round to local Policia to do a Denuncia over lost UK licence and dropped it back into Tráfico. They'll confirm electronically with DVLA then send me an email to make an appointment to pick up when Spanish one is ready. No medical necessary as more than 25 years until catagories expire on UK one - Spain will issue theirs with 10 years duration.

Many thanks for your help Elusive :)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Glad you got it sorted. Was that malaga traffico? Intresting re the medical. I thought they might have wanted one as its the photo on the licence that expires after ten and then you have to renew. Surprised they didnt treat it like that

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Córdoba DGT. Yes, was expecting to be asked to do medical but they said not necessary as so many years left on UK entitlement. They'll issue one for 10 years, after which I'll need to do a medical to renew. All sorted within an hour, 40 mins of which was the wait at Policia. All staff in both offices very helpful and knowledgable. Just my new photo that I'm not happy with haha....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 pm

If I remember rightly, the medical is done when you pick up your new licence.

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 am

I was certainly expecting to have to do one, yes....but the staff member was absolutely adamant that because of the length of time left on my UK entitlement, and my age, that I didn't need one. Be interesting if that changes upon collection, I'll let you know!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Cadore, I've been following this post for a while now and I'm confused (I often am) what age are you, I ask because on the one hand you say that your licence has expired and yet you still have 25 years left on certain categories, can you enlighten me ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 pm

The photo on the licence expires after ten years. But your right to drive on a uk licence lasts until you are 70

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm

I didn't know about this, do D V L C inform you or what, I've been using the same licence for 23 years and haven't renewed the photo or been asked to !!

*beep*, I've just checked this and it's a £1000.00 fine for contravening the law, I'd better fix this right away, Thanks for pointing that out Elusive :-)

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Elusive! I've now had the email that my Spanish licence is ready to collect from Córdoba so I've made a Trámites appointment for Monday...I'll let those interested know whether a medical is then needed :)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Seems to be a common mistake manchester.Read of alot of people who didnt realise you have to renew every ten years.didnt realise they had had photo licences for over 23 years in the U.K.I had a paper licence until just before we came out here.the only positive i guess of not changing to a photo ID while in the U.K

Thats quick cadore.they seem to be pretty good up there.had to wait two weeks for an appointment at malaga traffico just to change address. Yeap let us know how you get on. Intesting to see how diff offices work

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 am

I changed my old licence for a plastic photo style one in 1999 so it's actually 19 years not 23 :-)

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 am

Hi all
Just back from Tráfico now - did not need a medical!
Have been issued with a temporary authorisatuon to drive and told the plastic card will take a couple of weeks to come through.
Again, great service, in and out in half an hour (2 people)....
Cheers :)