Police powers

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Police powers

Postby SpanishBlue » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Outside Lidl on the Torremolinos/Benalmadena border today, I was stopped by a police officer who asked to see my passport. Like most people, I don't carry it. I was told to wait whilst they dealt with a beggar outside the shop. Eventually, despite appearing to show documentation, the beggar was put in the police car that had just pulled up. Another officer got out the car pointed at my Malaga football shirt I was wearing and said "Ah, Malaga, mi amigo..you may go!" :D

The incident has got me thinking what are ones rights in Spain. Could I have been 'invited' into the police car as well? Had I been wearing another shirt or the Officer supported another team, would I be spending the evening in Torremolinos police station? :shock:

Like I say, Its just got me wondering what rights one has in Spain when all I was doing was walking down the road minding my own business, and what would have happened if I refused to get in the car? :evil:

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:32 pm

From what I make of it, its possible they were doing like they would do anywhere in the world, checking to see who you were, Im sure if you said your passport was in the hotel room or at home they proberly might take you there and check it out, in the UK they seem to be clamping down hard on illegal migrants and they go all the way to check who you are, terrorist activity has not made it what it is today, as for powers just like in the UK they can arrest you for near on anything.

Latest one in the UK for the arrest section is if you want to race another person in a car/bike or what ever they can arrest you, talk about going mad....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:34 pm

Everyone has to carry their ID card or passport and produce it on demand. Failure to do so is an arrestable offence.

The same when driving a car. Documentation must be produced on demand and fines are fairly hefty for not doing so. There is none of this popping round to the local nick with your documents within seven days! Copies are not acceptable unless issued and stamped by DGT.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:03 am

Unbelievably there are still many who don't know this - even people who have lived here for years!
Very, very, few holiday visitors from the UK know of these laws, probably because carrying formal identification is contrary to the practices enjoyed by Britons for so many years!
This ancient right of free-born British people to be free of the trappings of a Big Brother State will soon be eroded if the politicians have their way!
PS. - I choose to live in Spain, so of course it is only right that I abide by Spanish Law, which I do!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:16 am

The erosion of this right in the UK, no matter how lamentable some people may consider it to be, is inevitable with the situation being exacerbated by the activities of many individuals who are anything but 'free-born British people'

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:25 am

If you are a tourist and are in a hire car they will accept your rental document as ID. They assume you must have shown your passport when you hired.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:48 am

what would have happened if I refused to get in the car?
What would happen in UK if you refused ?
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Tom W
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Tom W » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:01 am

Is a UK photocard driving licence acceptable, rather than your passport? I know it works in shops for credit card purchases but wondered if the police were the same?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 am

I would suspect that would depend on each individual police officer and what you had done to attract his interest in your identity!

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:15 am

Beachcomber wrote:The erosion of this right in the UK, no matter how lamentable some people may consider it to be, is inevitable with the situation being exacerbated by the activities of many individuals who are anything but 'free-born British people'
I find it lamentable because the police will misuse these powers and alienate certain sections of society, not just radical muslims but most working class people. It will end in tears.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:55 am

citymike wrote:
I find it lamentable because the police will misuse these powers and alienate certain sections of society, not just radical muslims but most working class people. It will end in tears.
With nothing to hide you/they will have nothing to fear.

Not sure why you mention allienation of the working class.

Indeed it might be beneficial because if a persons data can be quickly verified it would seem harder to make accusations or hold people for questioning.

Mike

Blubba

Postby Blubba » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:34 pm

pigs-might-fly wrote:Unbelievably there are still many who don't know this - even people who have lived here for years!
Very, very, few holiday visitors from the UK know of these laws, probably because carrying formal identification is contrary to the practices enjoyed by Britons for so many years!
This ancient right of free-born British people to be free of the trappings of a Big Brother State will soon be eroded if the politicians have their way!
PS. - I choose to live in Spain, so of course it is only right that I abide by Spanish Law, which I do!
I think it's worth noting that all the Scandinavian countries have compulsory national identity cards, they also have the lowest crime rates in the western world, I really have no idea why people are so opposed to this I have nothing to hide and would be happy to go through this process, as for criminals obtaining information about you, well they're criminals and they'll do this anyway, that's a seperate issue, you English :roll:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:51 pm

I would be happy to have my details on a register and carry a card. I would also have no objections to being on a DNA database. But then again I have nothing to hide.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Is a UK photocard driving licence acceptable
Been stopped numerous times and always showed it as ID rather than carry a passport around. A friend once only had his English pensioner's bus pass (with photo) on him but the police accepted it as ID. Car documents, ownership, tax etc. though they did check thoroughly. Once even, I was just a passenger in a car that was stopped and the driver had no ID on him at all, so I showed mine ... no problem with a totally different name provided the other paperwork was in order. But the law is clear so it's always a risk.

Blubba

Postby Blubba » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:00 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I would be happy to have my details on a register and carry a card. I would also have no objections to being on a DNA database. But then again I have nothing to hide.
Good for you Spanish, you're the first person I've come across who's not moaning about civil liberties!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 pm

I must move in different circles because virtually everyone I know in the UK would welcome the introduction of compulsory ID cards.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm

I must move in different circles because virtually everyone I know in the UK would welcome the introduction of compulsory ID cards

same here - although I do object to being on a DNA database.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:53 pm

It's not the carrying of a UK ID card that bothers me - It's the £230 cost that I object to. (£230 is the median estimate according to the London school of economics).

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:02 pm

SpanishBlue wrote:It's not the carrying of a UK ID card that bothers me - It's the £230 cost that I object to. (£230 is the median estimate according to the London school of economics).
That is a different argument blue. The estimated cost has been rising all the time and £230 is certainly ludicrous and just another government money grabbing scam.
What's the bets that MP's are exempt from paying just the same as they don't have the smoking ban in Westminster bars.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:45 am

Microchipping a dog is far less expensive so why not just implant a microchip containing name, ID number, date and place of birth, address, DNA, criminal convictions, driving licence details etc. which could be updated remotely from a central control room.

No problem with forgetting to take it with you, losing it or failing to produce it to a police officer who could just read it with a hand-held scanner.