Intelsat 907 receiver

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Intelsat 907 receiver

Postby firsttango » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Been ensconced in your part of the world for the last 2 weeks without any internet at daughters new house, finally they got it up and running today with Gigaclear. Blimey its cold here :lol: will check out Avatel when back in Spain.

Dantis

Postby Dantis » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 pm

To answer some of the questions regarding the VU+ Zero box being supplied by Sat.Co.

First off, yes you can buy this box for around £80-£90 from eBay, however this box does not work with Intelsat 907 without the firmware being modified, much like the Technomate boxes had to be flashed using Phantompatch firmware.

Once the firmware is modified then it will work with Intelsat 907 but without EPG etc.

The firmware that SatCo supply with their box was written by the owner, Tom Proctor himself and I know took nearly a year to achieve before he released it, this updated firmware gives a full 7 day EPG on Intelsat 907, as well as all other satellites if you have a multi-sat set-up, as I do. It allows the user to record directly from the EPG and also has the facility to series-link so that it will auto record all further episodes, much like a Sky box. (Obviously a hard drive or flash needs to be inserted into the USB to record to).
In addition, the updated firmware also gives you subtitles option, something that many elderly expats were asking for.

I have been using this box for nearly two years now, I also have two Technomate 5402 HD M3's, a Sky+ HD box and a MAG 254 with full subscription, yes I like my TV! I am a very technical person but could not master re-configuring the VU box's firmware to achieve the above, so I think that the installed price is very fair. It is also a superb box, the picture quality is noticeably better than the Technomate's with move fluidity in movement.

One downside for me, albeit a very minor one, is that many user operations that are very easy on the Technomate, for example moving channels, creating favourites etc are more involved on the VU box as you have to use a FTP client such as FileZilla. That said, I would not be without my VU box for viewing ITV/BBC, Channel 4 and 5 etc.

I hope this post goes someway to explaining some obvious misconceptions in this thread concerning the VU+ Zero and the exclusive firmware that it is loaded with.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 pm

gerryh wrote:Hi Sid
Any luck getting the Vu+ modded box?
Cheers
Gerry
I got it yesterday. Very pleased with it. It does exactly what Dantis descibed in his post.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 am

Are you still pleased with it, any negatives?
I will buy one if it doesn't have the following problems that I have with my Technomate box:-

If, for example I am watching BBC1 and have set to record BBC2, when the recording starts it switches the TV to BBC2.
If I am watching BBC1 and recording BBC2, if I timeshift, pause, BBC1 then the BBC2 recording stops.

No EPG available.

Can the BISS codes be updated?
I know they haven't changed since Dec 2014 but knowing my luck they will change the day after I bought a new box.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:47 am

No negatives so far. I had to do a bit of tweaking on a couple of things to suit my overall setup.

I haven't experienced any recording problems, but I will check out the situation you mention.

EPG works really well and setting recordings directly from it are very easy. Also in the list of recordings, it shows the program name, not just the date.

I hadn't considered the BISS codes, but as they have obviously been put into the box when delivered it must be possible to change them.

PM me for details of the guy I got it from.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi Sid
Sorry to be a nuisance but have you had time to check whether the problems I have with my TM box don't exist with your VU+ box.
Also did you find out about changing BISS codes?
Still considering buying one as a Xmas present to myself, I know it's sad.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

No problem. Yes, I did check, sorry I didn't come back to you - too busy reading the Brexit thread :crazy:

No recording problems and still very pleased with it. I don't think i907 transmits subtitles. I'm not bothered, but a friend asked. The EPG is about 90 hours, not 7 days, but that's not a problem as most stuff I watch can be put in as a repeating series link. It works fine with my Logitech universal remote - the GI boxes did not. The only problem I have found is that it seems to go to sleep overnight, but not always, and needs to be woken up. I have checked all the setting and standby is not an automatic option. It's not a big deal, but it means I have to keep the remote handy as the Logitech can't handle the wake up codes.

Biss codes must be able to be entered otherwise it would not work at all. If I ever have a problem in the unlikely event that they change the codes Miles can sort it out.

Go for it!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks Sid for the update.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Dantis

Postby Dantis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:18 am

In answer to a couple of questions regarding the VU+ Zero box, the firmware supplied by SatCo is indeed a full 7 day EPG not just 90 hours and it does also have subtitle options on all channels from Intelsat 907.

This is why it took Tom Proctor nearly a year to develop as he wanted a 7 day EPG and subtitle option as there are many elderly expats in our area who wanted this.

Also the BISS code can be changed but again it does involve using a FTP client to enter the new code.

Recordings are not an issue at all, I have recorded three channels whilst watching a fourth from Intelsat 907 and everything worked perfectly and as the previous post said, it actually tells you the name of the programme title, so if you have a lot of recordings it is far easier to find the recording you want to watch.

Once again I will iterate that although the price of this box supplied by SatCo may seem a little expensive to some people you will understand the hard work that has gone into developing the firmware to give all the above features. The box works flawlessly and I am extremely happy with it.

I hope this clarifies and answers the previous poster's questions.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:50 am

Is there any way I can confirm that my box is running the Satco firmware rather than a cloned version?

Sid

Sydney.

Postby Sydney. » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm

I have had the box from the trahpice market for the last month and it is great. The trouble and strife is a bit deaf and you Can have sub titles on live and playback.The programme guide is a full 7 days and sometimes more.It will rreally record up to 4 Channels while you watch live TV. All the programmes recorded are labeled and playback is really easy from the hard drive. Best box ever for the job. A bit pricey but so far worth the buy. Picture quality is better than my Technomate box and received appears better in poor weather. Lots of adjustable functions in the menu.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm

How easy is it to change the BISS codes on the new box?
Or didn't they tell you they might, occasionally, need updating?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

dave007
Tourist

Postby dave007 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 pm

All you need is the Enigma 2 EPG import plugin then install then goto SETUP then goto EPG menu then import current source uk/freesat then your epg will populate for a week in the future. This is for open atv image I imagine the other images are similar. If you want more info I will can help
also it will work fine on a cheap box mine is a Zgemma £65