El Gordo — How does it Work?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

El Gordo — How does it Work?

Postby Lavanda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 pm

It's el Gordo time of year again and, this year, finally, I would like to understand how it works. I know that each number is divided up into smaller parts so it's possible to buy fractions of the whole number. When all the parts of the number are sold, there are no more parts to buy. That bit is clear.

Some charities and clubs buy a number and sell parts of it to their members and friends. If they sell more parts than exist they get to keep the extra money and so it's a way of making money for their cause. However, if the number is a winning one it is simply divided between all the people who bought numbers and if there were more sold than exist it hardly matters when you are sharing zillions.

I think the two above paragraphs are correct.

What I don't understand is that some places where you can buy a ticket seem to have a bigger chance of winning. In Cáceres, this morning, there were long queues outside lottery booths and a poster showed that parts of numbers from Madrid, Alicante, Málaga, Seville and Granada were available to buy. Some numbers, as specific as 'Puerto del Sol, Madrid', were already sold out.

If all numbers have an equal chance of being drawn out of the hat (so to speak) what difference is there in buying numbers from Madrid rather than Coín, for example?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: El Gordo — How does it Work?

Postby country boy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

I am soooo glad you've asked that question; we've been here for 18 years and I've always wondered..... hope you get the answer!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:21 pm

I await someone knowledgeable to confirm para two. As you get a ticket down our way that is your thousandth share of the "number". With that ticket you can win on numbers or combinations of the later numbers. Ordinary lottery outlets sell tickets for 20 euros I think but organisations and charities sell theirs here for 23. The three goes to a local cause.

You are quite correct that there is mania over numbers from certain parts of Spain. A local bar had tickets with a number from Valencia. They have been very popular. I think it is because previous winners are from that area. Mathematically you would have to analyse wins from say a hundred thousand years to get meaningful stats . I suspect you have an equal chance wherever you are. Our olive co op has a thousand associates. You would be foolish to be the only one not buying a thousandth part!

I also believe you only have six months to claim your winnings.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I could tell you, but Google does a better job. I’m surprised you didn’t ask Mr Google first!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish ... as_Lottery

The reality is that it is one of the biggest lotteries in the world but the prizes are comparatively low - but there are lots of them!

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 pm

I didn’t think to use Google as I’m alergic to their politics and ethics - but, thank you for the link.

Well, I read it but can’t say it’s totally clear to me now. :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 pm

So which bit don’t you understand?

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:51 am

The actual draw itself. Normally all tickets in any given draw have an equal chance of winning the first, and biggest prize. In el Gordo the 1st prize is also a lottery as it could come up at any time in the draw. I know that is the rule of the lottery and that is the way it is done. I accept that. I just never knew that was how it worked.

As for all the bits of numbers right down to having a one euro share in a twentieth of a tenth, well, all right.

The last question, and the six million euro one, is this: is it better to buy one share in a number worth as much as a person wants to spend on a lottery, or, is it better to buy lots of numbers at a smaller value? Statistically, I suppose it must be the latter.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

Surely the whole process is random and unable to be manipulated. You just spend what you can or want. I just by a €20 share in a syndicate and get on with my life.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

Clearly, more tickets mean a greater chance of winning. However, if you buy 20 smaller shares rather than one larger share, if you win, you just get a correspondingly smaller prize. I'm not sure you can "buy" anything smaller than a "Decimo". You would have to form a syndicate to buy one decimo and share it.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Thank you everyone. I am now armed with enough information to go and buy my lottery ticket(s). Should I win anything over a million you will all be invited to a party!!!

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 am

To win over 1m you need to spend at least 60 euros buying 3x20euro decimos of the same number.
The "big gordo" prize is 4m euros, so each decimo wins 400.000.
There are also big prizes for 2nd 1x 1,250,000, 3rd 1x 500,000 4th 2x 200,000 and 5th 8x 60,000 (all decimos with the winning numbers win a tenth of the amounts)
Every number drawn wins at least 1,000 euros (100 per decimo)
Every decimo that has the same last number as the "gordo" number wins 20 euros.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:40 pm

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/12/21/in ... 67138.html

Tells us everything we need to know, just a day too late. :lol: :lol: :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm

That site also shows the wining numbers
I haven't won anything yet. :( :(
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Elgordo.com has a box you put yourticket number in to check.

Good luck. :thumbup: