Seven and a half ton box vans

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Seven and a half ton box vans

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 am

Morning all.
Some years ago I regularly drove seven and a half ton box vans either from hire companies or other operators. I did not have an HGV but historically drove them for years and we were allowed to continue driving them.
I know many changes have happened since then. Can you still drive such vehicles particulalry here in Spain?

Xmas cheers to all.

Barry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Seven and a half ton box vans

Postby costakid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Depends on your age but if you were allowed in the past you should be ok now. My licence allows me to drive 7.5 tonne wagons. It is only the new licences for the youngsters that require an additional test.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Costakid es correcto !!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Sorry, should have added that would be term "C 1" on a modern plastic photo licence.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 pm

I seem to remember that after I changed my UK licence to a Spanish one, I got a letter asking me if I wanted to keep the C categories, as if I did I would need to renew it after 5 years, not 10. I chose not to, so it is no longer on my licence.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:15 am

I was never asked when I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one (in 1997) and only got up to 3.5t entitlement. Returning to the UK last year, I exchanged my Spanish licence for a UK one and automatically got C1 (up to 7.5t) entitlement again.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks for your comments all.
Looks like I am still ok with a seven and a half tonner.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Cheers

Barry

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I don't know about hiring in Spain, but in UK now with the 7.5 tonner having a digital tacho, some of the hire companies will not hire to anyone who does not have a digital drivers card.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm

jimbo

Quite a few years back, I was the Transport Manager of a small company operating luton vans, seven and a half tonners, and a couple of artics etc. in those days (unless you had grandfather rights) you had to get a CPC to hold this position. Anyway, more importantly, you had to do 'spot checks' on all of your drivers' tachograhs. Now that was both seriously time-consuming and seriously boring, but it had to be done to satisfy the authority.

Back to your point, what exactly is a 'digital drivers card'? (Shows you how old I am!).

Barry

P.S. What size vehicle do you operate? A friend of mine is looking to relocate back to the UK and after a quote. Maybe you could email me via members system?