Light fittings

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
yesSi
Tourist

Light fittings

Postby yesSi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Happy New Year All.

I have searched the forum on this subject but haven't found anything to help, so am asking the question. We wish to replace the light fittings in our little house in Spain and have been told that we can purchase what we want in the UK and the fittings will be perfectly OK for the Spanish electrical system. Is that correct? Yes, we have already searched in Spain but haven't found anything suitable and it's so time consuming that too much of our short holiday time is taken up with shopping.

Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Light fittings

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes. I purchased a ceiling fan from B and Q in the Uk and it worked fine on the Spanish system. Just replaced it after 15 years for a Spanish one thats nowhere near as good.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Spanish light fittings have screw threaded bulbs. When I lived in the UK the bulbs were the bayonet type. This was a long, long time ago so it may have changed now.

yesSi
Tourist

Postby yesSi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks Costakid and Beachcomber - that's encouraging!

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:44 pm

be aware that the wiring might be different to back home if you're planning on fitting yourself. if it's an old property there may be very little clue as to which wire is which. if in any doubt at all i'd get a local sparky to fit

yesSi
Tourist

Postby yesSi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks Flashman.....Sparky already on standby...not risking OH touching anything electrical....