Spain isnt cheap

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spain isnt cheap

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 am

Isn't commonhold just a term to describe joint ownership of the freehold?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

I don't think so. Because in Scotland owners own the house and land as the feu has been done away with. Commonhold is not a word I have heard before

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Feu wasn't a word I'd heard of before! (I've learnt it's related to feudalism)
It would appear the word commonhold is not specifically used in Scotland, but I don't know how one differentiates then between the freehold ownership of a house standing on it's own land, and a flat in a building where there are several owners - other than to say "joint freehold"?
"Commonhold is a system of property ownership in England and Wales. It involves the indefinite freehold tenure of part of a multi-occupancy building (typically a flat) with shared ownership of and responsibility for common areas and services." (Wikipedia)
I fear we may be getter too far off topic (sorry mods), but it's been an interesting discussion!

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 pm

A block of flats has a 'Flying Freehold' but I'm not sure how it works - my late hubby was a Chartered Surveyor & I remember him telling this, but not the ins & outs. Probably Google could help now you have the proper phrase ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

Don't think that's the term used in Scotland, nor the term used to describe the tenure of an individual flat - but it's another new one to me and provided an interesting diversion via Google/Wikipedia. Thanks!