Gestor for matriculation in Jerez/Cadiz

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
chris_

Gestor for matriculation in Jerez/Cadiz

Postby chris_ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:43 am

Hi,

I'm currently living in Jerez for the next year and brought my car out when I moved in October. I'm currently thinking about re-matriculating the car so I can keep it out here until I move back to the UK. (yes I know I'm crazy :crazy: )

Does anyone know of a gestor in the Jerez area that can speak English (my Spanish is unfortunately not much good yet) and would have experience with matriculating cars? If not in Jerez than anywhere in the Bahia de Cadiz or even Sevilla could work.

Cheers,
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gestor for matriculation in Jerez/Cadiz

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 am

Is your car RHD? If yes you are going to spend a lot of money converting the speedo to kph, new headlamps and altering the rear foglight. On top of that there is taxes to pay plus a Spanish mot. All of this and it will add no value to your car once you return to the uk with it.. I would seriously think twice about this idea.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am

Costakid wrote:
you are going to spend a lot of money converting the speedo to kph, new headlamps and altering the rear foglight.
Not necessarily. Are not "speedos" dual marked? Yes to headlamps but some cars have twin rear fogs anyway.
However, agree with the need to carefully evaluate the costs.
nil illegitimum carborundum

chris_

Postby chris_ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi thanks for your replies :)
costakid wrote:Is your car RHD? If yes you are going to spend a lot of money converting the speedo to kph, new headlamps and altering the rear foglight. On top of that there is taxes to pay plus a Spanish mot. All of this and it will add no value to your car once you return to the uk with it.. I would seriously think twice about this idea.
Yep I've looked into the costs for converting a RHD car and for the actual modifications I don't think it would be too bad: headlamp lenses I can buy and fit myself, and re-wiring the fog & reverse light would be no problem. The ITV isn't too much of a cost either as it would have to be MOT'ed if it was still in the UK anyway.

As you have mentioned the taxes and CoC are costs that could be significant, I was hoping a gestor might be able to give me some guidance as to how much these would be. Tax should hopefully not be too much as the car isn't worth that much.
Trooperman wrote:Not necessarily. Are not "speedos" dual marked? Yes to headlamps but some cars have twin rear fogs anyway.
However, agree with the need to carefully evaluate the costs.
Yeah I'm not too sure on the speedo - it is of course dual marked but the outer "primary" ring is of course in mph. I don't know if only having kph on the inner ring would be acceptable?

With the costs I think I've got an ok idea, and the best way to get a more accurate answer would be a quote from a gestor.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:32 pm

At the end of the day, you would have a car worth very little, and you would be still sat on the wrong side for safe driving.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:32 pm

On the plus side your car will be a known entity. Secondhand prices are high in Spain.

We gave up buying in Spain. Dearth of well specced S/H cars ( probably due to the recession) , all with dubious service history and accident history and high kilometerage .

In the last twenty days we have done 1700 miles in the UK. No significant problems driving lhd . I do remember car park ticket machines are a pain on your own with a RHD in Spain.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:08 pm

My point is: if your car is expensive you will be paying quite a lot to get it registered and this is money down the drain as it adds no value to a RHD car being registered in Spain. As you say your car is old so the registration costs are less so if you are happy with the cars mechanics then it may be a cheap way out.
It costs nothing to put it back on UK plates when you return as the 1st registration fee has been paid and you dont pay twice. DVLA will re issue the original reg no.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Hola

If you haven't signed onto the Padron then you can avoid the first registration tax. However taxes are payable as in
1) if you haven't got a certificate of European conformity then a Spanish Engineers Ficha Technical Reducida is about 120€
2) ITV test about 150€
3) Ayuntamiento for car tax top 200€ depends on size / emissions
4) Trafico 120€
5) number plates 30€

So allow 500€ plus lights. If you have got a Padron and you have had it for 60 days or more, then a first registration tax is payable.

I am out of touch these days as its several years since I last matriculated a car

Davexf

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

But does anyone know of a Gestor who could help with the Engineer to do the report, if necessary, and to check on value of the various duties/taxes to be paid - in the Cadiz area - Chiclana perhaps?

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Hola

Yes I do know an engineer that can provide a Ficha Technical Reducida in the event that the OP does not have a European Certificate of Conformnity. I obviously will not put the contact details on an open forum.

Davexf

chris_

Postby chris_ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks again for your help, and apologies for not replying for so long! I've been completely occupied with work for the last 2 months, so not had any time to sort stuff out.

dxf, would a ficha technical be easier to matriculate the car with? I can get the CoC from Nissan for £114 so figure that may be simpler, but I don't know if this would pose any issues with the registration as the CoC would then of course be in english?

Any other advice welcome :)

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Hola

Go for the CoC from Nissan - language is not important as it is a CoC

Davexf

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:01 pm

chris_ wrote:dxf, would a ficha technical be easier to matriculate the car with? I can get the CoC from Nissan for £114 so figure that may be simpler, but I don't know if this would pose any issues with the registration as the CoC would then of course be in english?

Any other advice welcome :)
Hi, I did all this last year in northern Spain.

CoC cost: 100€
- Toyota CoC (in English), was accepted by ITV station without any question. It's Spanish law that a Euro CoC is valid - ignore people who say it isn't. I can find the BoE reference if you come up against problems. My CoC was missing something though so we had to get a letter from Toyota with the extra info.

- ITV costs: 54€.
There's no statutory charge for an "import ITV", it's just some stations making a quick buck (for comparison, the next year's ITV was 49€). It will take longer though, because they take photos and use tape measures!
N.B. it's my understanding that the Spanish finally passed into law the regulation that means a foreign MOT is valid for import purposes; you could save a bit of hassle by looking into that.

- Headlight costs: 160€
I ordered headlights from a 3rd party supplier online for about 80€ each. Fitting is fairly easy on most modern cars; just need a screwdriver, a wrench and a spare afternoon. Everything came off the front of my Toyota in about 10 twists. Guides are available online for pretty much every car.

Paid a garage 10€ to level these lights with a special box. This didn't work, so I ended up doing it in a dark car park with a measuring tape myself! Again, guides available online.

-Fog light cost: 46€
Also ordered an original second rear fog light from a scapyard (in Sweden, via eBay). In my case it was easy enough to cut into the rear bumper and fit. Some cars actually have space in the other cluster so you might just need a a bulb and some wires.

n.b. I removed my non-factory-fit tow bar out of fear it wouldn't pass (it wasn't on the CoC or registration docs).

-Gestor costs: 40€
I didn't have time to go to trafico so paid a gestor to submit the paperwork.

-Number plates: 25€
Ordered some plastic ones online as I didn't like the Spanish metal look.

-Trafico Taxes + fees: in my case 300€

Fees: Trafico's processing fee was around 90€.
Registration Taxes: 215€
Taxes depend on the car's value, age and power. This site gave me exactly the same figure the gestor found in their big PDF file: https://www.dieselogasolina.com/calcula ... ienda.html

- Road tax: in my case 215€
Then you have your local council road tax, known as the IVTM also calculated depending on the model and CO2 emissions.
Estimates here: https://www.dieselogasolina.com/calcula ... -ivtm.html

After all that I've since scrapped the car and got about as much as all the above!
Last edited by alpineSi on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris_

Postby chris_ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Ok great, I'll sort out the Nissan CoC then.

Thanks for your detailed account alpineSi it is really helpful! The link for the taxes is very useful too, thank you very much. It's worked out my registration tax with the trafico as €30 which seems almost absurdly low! But the calculations seem sound, and of course there's the processing fee on top.

Just to clarify in Spain you pay a road tax plus a separate municipal road tax? So eg. you paid €215 registration tax + €215 road tax + €x for local road tax? In your case the road tax was the same amount as the registration tax, do you happen to know if that is usually the case?

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:52 am

H again,

Yes tráfico will want their process fee (which will be the same for all) plus the registration tax which varies by car. This is a one off registration tax, not a road tax. If your car is pretty old and worthless (rare by Spanish standards!) and also doesn't pollute, then I guess it could be pretty cheap!

Then once you have the registration number you can go to your local council and pay road tax (IVTM). I doubt they're normally the same amount. I might have miscalculated mine slightly above because I paid a pro-rata of the year and was trying to make it annual for that post. You'll have to pay this every year but as with everything, they'll happily take it from your account without saying a word!
Last edited by alpineSi on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:04 am

I've just noticed this on the site I linked to above, re registration taxes:

"Valor residual para coches importados según:
BOE-A-2018-17664, en vigor desde Enero 2019"

In doing a calculation, the info box said a discount is now applied to foreign cars.