Renta 2018

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Renta 2018

Postby littleeak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm returning to the UK in February. I was registered as autonomo & paid tax for the tax year 2018. Legally I'll have to do the Renta but how? I would rather close my bank account before leaving Spain as it's nigh on impossible to do it from the UK, so I know I'll miss out on my usual rebate.
Also, can anyone advise me as how to deregister as tax resident as, I presume just signing off autonomo isn't sufficient. I don't want to be persued by Hacienda in years to come re unpresented tax forms!
Thank you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renta 2018

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:28 pm

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Gracias

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 am

How have you done your renta until now? If you have a digital signature or Cl@ve can you not file it online yourself? Or, if you have a gestor, can you not leave all the figures etc. with them to file for you? (Not sure about Cl@ve - I did set it up before we left, but I think you need a Spanish mobile to use it, for verification codes etc., so maybe not an option once you've left Spain. Perhaps somebody else can confirm this?)
I understand about the bank account. Sabadell told us we could only close our (joint) account in person, and despite having either to sign, would need both to sign. They would not accept written authorization, pre-dated, or by letter at a later date. Ridiculous. Result: our account will remain open for as long as it takes them to realise we ain't coming back! On the manager's advice, we zeroed the balance, and now every quarter they slap maintenance charges on it, then overdraft charges...and then refund all those charges because they realise there's no point trying to claim charges from a redundant account. It's fun to occasionally log in to see all these pointless transactions!
We asked both our gestor and staff at Hacienda if we should de-register as fiscal residents. Blank looks all round. We even specifically asked if we should complete form 030 for this purpose. More blank looks. So we didn't bother. I think it's highly unlikely Hacienda would bother pursuing you for non-filing of tax forms.

The document by CAB (from the link provided by elusive) is very good. I'm glad I never found that before leaving though - our own to-do lists were long enough, without adding on some of their suggestions!
We did not de-register from the padrón - specifically, because we were expecting a rebate on our final IBI. Unfortunately, our buyer found she couldn't register on the padrón herself until we wrote to the town hall confirming our new address overseas. The moment we did that, they obviously de-registered us, and we were denied our rebate on the grounds that we were not residents (although we had been when we paid the damned IBI!)
We did not de-register as residents or return our resident certificates. Couldn't see any point.
I did not notify Tráfico of a change of circumstances. I did exchange my Spanish licence for a UK one on arrival in the UK: done by post, new licence received within days, no fee - unbelievably easy after years of being accustomed to Spanish bureaucracy!
We did not notify our health centre - after all, they never bothered to inform us a few years ago that they'd cancelled our health cards for no good reason, so scr*w them! We did register with a local GP as soon as we arrived back - again, absolutely no fuss, couldn't have been easier. Also got our new UK issued EHICs (long may they last!)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Thank you Miro.
I have got cl@ve but my gestor told me he had to do it as I'm autonomo. Interesting re Bank..... and Hacienda!

I'm sure we had less problems moving to Spain than we're having leaving!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:02 pm

littleeak wrote: I'm sure we had less problems moving to Spain than we're having leaving!!
We felt exactly the same. The only consolation is that settling back in the UK was also far easier than settling in Spain!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

buswell
Tourist

Postby buswell » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:01 pm

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading this thread, but probably will not enjoy what I have coming up!

I've been here almost two years and I've just had to set up a virtual machine with Windows and Internet Explorer in order to do the certificado digital. Really makes me think it's about time I went back to London and stopped working in the sun for a low salary, paying lots of tax to a system I'll most likely see nothing from! It even makes me nervous having some savings in a Spanish bank account

I'm not sure if Spain is so bad so much as the UK is just really good for bureacracy. Gov.uk wrote a recent blog post on number inputs and the creators of the web browsers have tweeted saying they messed up

Where as I've just been installing certificates in internet explorer because I'm in Spain :crazy: