Proof in England re vehicle replating

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Inglis1
Tourist

Proof in England re vehicle replating

Postby Inglis1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 am

I going through the process of replating a uk registered vehicle & need to prove I lived in uk until recently. I am told council tax & other bills related to property ownership don’t cover this! Has anyone had to do this & what did you provide? Thanks

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Proof in England re vehicle replating

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi, thats a new one on me - i've never been asked that before, and i've done 10 imports.

Who asked you that? Which office?

Are you importing the car as part of your personal posessions to avoid paying the import tax, have you only been here a couple of months?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:57 pm

What about a recent bank statement? Bit bizarre to say the least.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Did the vehicle have an MOT done in the UK in your name - would that be useful to show that YOU had THAT vehicle in the UK within the last 12 months?
It has been asked before for a person to go to a British Consulate and sign an affidavit that they have come to Spain from the UK, having lived in the UK for x number of years - Pure nonsense because the consulate doesnt know any better than the person you are doing the contract with, but it is a signed piece of paper, that you have to pay for, and the spanish love that !!!
If they can tell you that prove of house ownership and payment of bills is not sufficient to prove you were resident, then what exactly would they like? Credit card bills to show you were in a certain shop on a certain date? Even your ferry ticket only shows the day you left the UK, not how long you were there beforehand ! Good Luck!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Perhaps you could get a certificate of tax residency from HMRC? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certi ... -residence
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.