Having a car to use in UK

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Having a car to use in UK

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Thinking of getting a static caravan in the UK as a Brit-base for summer escapes and family visits, and a runabout to be left there.
All the online sites collapse when faced with uk car/in uk/main residence in Spain/Spanish licence.....other than having the car in another name there (don’t like falsehoods) is there a way round it, and to get a quote? Anybody done this?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Having a car to use in UK

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Ask around the "Traveller" or "Romainan" communities they seem to be able to get away with it :-)

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Not answering your question, but I had a similar situation I tried a few years back. It was much cheaper to rent everytime I went back.

When you factor in servicing, repairs, tax, insurance, mot, storage (airport parking or airport transfer) and depreciation it was easily as expensive. Also everytime you leave it there you have to spend time readying it for storage and unstoring it when you return. Just arriving and driving a hire car was so much less hastle

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I have been doing the balance sheet Paddy, but there are other factors - the airport firms shut or charge extra for out-of-hours pickups, restricting which flights to use, and there are vast seasonal differences for hire. We have a Hertz Corsa for a week in March at €112, but if we escape the Bombay-style humidity in summer here that would be pricey for 2 months.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Yet another issue that is not easy to address for people who dont spend all their time in one country.

How about you being a named driver on your daughters car insurance with her as the owner? For daughter substitute any other family member.

Most people just lie and pretend they also live in the UK.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Agree with your cost analysis, Peter. The same reasoning that I purchased a car for whilst in Spain. Given the peanuts pricing of an acceptable but venerable s/h motor, SORN and the ease of suspending (or reducing to Fire and Theft only) insurance, the reverse process for you is even more viable.

The only problem you have (and again, I had the reverse problem with Rastreator) is "computer says no". Something about your Spanishness is not allowed for in that database field and you're a bit stuck. There is no actual reason that a Spanish resident, with a full EU license, can't be the policyholder of a UK reg kept at a specified UK address (even if it's not your main residence) - in the same way I have my policy - it's just that the database isn't set up for your circs.

Given that entering your details with the meerkats or that singing bloke et al is non-binding, I would just enter everything as truthfully as, but (supposing it's your address that's giving the software an issue), enter an address with the same postcode as your static and fiddle around until you get the stream of quotes (I always deliberately mistype my email address and mobile # to avoid follow ups). If you like the look of a policy or two, click on "proceed" or "more details" (and jot down the comparison site's quote ref) to get the insurer's contact details. You'll need to phone them to clarify your particular circs, so the quote ref is a good starting point, and they can make adjustments.

I hate to give a plug (even though rules allow if relevant) but I suggest you try eSure as well as your "best prices" from the comparison. I spent a whole day (just like the '80s) phoning around because my previously Spanish LHD car was not sold in the UK until much later than when mine was manufactured. All the firms that looked promising on the comparison site had telephone answerers who couldn't get the computer to accept it, or produced an outrageous quote. I phoned eSure and my details were sent back and forth - real time - to their actuarial bods who were happy to fashion a "we'll just tell the computer xyz, it's close enough for us" response and I got a reasonable quote. If you're really lucky, maybe they'll credit you slightly for your Spanish blemish-free history. Otherwise, start looking on Gumtree for a 1.0 Corsa (C or D) with a whopping 59hp.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 am

It might be worth phoning a company like A Plan insurance who are brokers but very good and they can tailor your quote. I have a car in Spain for the very same reasons as you need a car here. I used a broker in Spain and ended up with Liberty insurance.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:50 am

I am thinking you need get your residence set-up in then the first instance.
If you passport+license+utility bill with address.
This will tick all the boxes and you be non-resident in UK.
This is my understanding of this situation.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm

er, not sure if I read that last post right, but I've never been asked for a utility bill, nor passport. The important things (apart from the obvious of your driving history and the value/risk of the car) are what the car will be used for and where it will be left. So long as you accurately describe it (which is why a telephone call beats an online form in unusual circs) then written proof (other than NCD) is not asked for, in my experience. If a claim is made, and porkies are subsequently discovered, then your settlement may be reduced but it's not usual to be asked for written proof prior to acceptance for a policy.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 pm

We went ahead and bought the static caravan - had to give lots of proof that we have a house as the park is only for holiday homes (11 month licence), but cannot give it as an address for same reason! We have been astonished at costs for a parking place - one even wanted £50 for a space on a drive of a house, without gates or any security. It looks like the "truth bending" will be the only way, just a question of finding a willing relative who can get a good insurance deal.
On a slightly different tack - is there any reason why I should not buy one of the many UK-reg cars for sale here in Spain, get it into someone else's name for insurance, then drive it through Spain and France to the UK? Can I drive a UK car on my Spanish licence as a resident of Spain?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:25 pm

You could purchase a UK reg car in Spain , currently taxed and tested of course and I would suggest that it should be purchased and insured by a UK based friend or relative, and you could drive it with a letter of permission from the new owner.

Regards,
Gordon

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:53 pm

I am not sure you are correct

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v ... dex_en.htm

I keep a car in Greece, at my summer house there, but I live in Ireland. Can the Greek authorities oblige me to register it in Greece?

NO — They can't, since you are not permanently resident in Greece. But they can stop you from renting out your car or even lending it to Greek residents. Your car can be driven by you, visiting relatives or friends — but by Greek residents only if you are on board. You may find it difficult to insure an Ireland registered car in Greece.

So I think it means that it can only be driven by a Spanish resident if the owner is on board, plus there is the problem of getting a UK insurer to insure a car that will be out of the country for long periods.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 am

Thanks for your input paddy, but once the car is in the uk it would not leave again, and if my OH’s son was the registered keeper and we were named drivers this would surely be like thousands of other uk cars?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 am

Your Original question was

'"Can I drive a UK car on my Spanish licence as a resident of Spain?'"

The answer to that is in Spain you cannot. However once the car is back in the UK then go for your life totally legal to drive it.....with the usual Brexit caveat of who knows what the licence situation will be for EU licence holders in the UK in the future.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:53 am

Based on my experience of living and driving in Spain for 30 years, I've never had any problem driving a UK registered car with my Spanish licence as long as the car is registered with a British person with a permanent address in UK, and as I stated before you need to carry a letter of permission from the owner .( It's preferable to have the letter translated to the language of the countries that you are entering.)

You can also drive a UK visitors car, for instance a relative on holiday with you.

If in doubt check the insurance details or contact the insurance company.

And Yes Peter ..you are welcome to my input on this subject. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 am

Gordon - your input is always welcome, I just forgot to say so!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am

Thank you Peter,
And may your plans be successful.... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Another snag.....uk insurers will not allow non-residents to be named drivers for longer than 90 days! There seems to be no differenciation between EU foreigners and others, although non-Eu licence holders have other restrictions on time and licence. Illogically the underwriters regard ‘resident’ as being nine months in the uk, but restrict genuine visitors to the nine months...
I am checking to see if the 90 day period is a set three months, or the total of days that you could drive the car with cover...and then if there are two of us named does the total go up to 180 days used evenly.... beginning to think it is not worth being honest and law-abiding.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am

Peter.....If you can't beat 'em......join 'em....

And in your case you will be a Gamekeeper turned Poacher..... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

being serious for a minute, I have said for years that this is a flawed area of the EU. Mostly it is designed around you being in one country.