Roofing Costs

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fincalospinos
Resident

Roofing Costs

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of a new roof.
It is approx 100 sq mtrs, traditonal Andalucian roofing tile, single aspect.
It would be from scratch on existing walls.
Hardworking resident !!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Roofing Costs

Postby country boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:19 pm

When I was on my tools we used to reckon £50 per square foot to show a decent return.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 pm

At 1076 sq ft that looks to be a tad more than a decent return!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 am

country boy wrote:When I was on my tools we used to reckon £50 per square foot to show a decent return.
£50.00 per sq ft, so that's around £500.00 per square metre !!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:00 am

fincalospinos wrote:Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of a new roof.
It is approx 100 sq mtrs, traditonal Andalucian roofing tile, single aspect.
It would be from scratch on existing walls.
Are you talking about building a roof that has never previously existed or replacing an existing roof ?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 am

There is an old roof present, but it has collapsed in a few places, so I am currently stripping it off completely.
The building is 3.5mtrs X 28mtrs and will need all new materials.
Hardworking resident !!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:08 pm

If you are not restricted by planning or other regulations Insulated roof sheets would easily span that ( Flat Roof Option obviously) for very little effort and cost. Just raise one long wall a couple of feet. You can even get mock tile profile if you prefer
Google insulated roof sheets for a view.
A few rafters and some purlins...piece of cake!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm

I can give you some prices on this method. Our local blacksmith/metal worker erects a frame and then affixes the approx 12 cm thick insulated roof sheets on to it. The sheets he uses come with a nice mock effect tile look(choice of colours available) , sheets are 1 metre wide and different lengths. e.g. 5 metres. Underside is a gloss white . His cost is 50 euros a square metre including making and fixing the frame and any legs if it is for a patio. so assuming 4 metre lengths are available . 5 to 6,000 euros plus maybe 300 euros town hall permit cost, depending on how they calculate the cost.

If you want a more traditional look then beams at 50 cm gap and insulated boards faced with plasterboard for underneath are available. Then on top the traditional finish. S/H Old roofing tiles used to be a euro each but may well have plummeted assuming you can find any.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Out roof is beams with insulated boards. They slot together and you have a choice of finish. Ours are plasterboard. The builders then covered them with bitumen sheets and added steel mesh and concreted over that, finished with traditional tiles.

A bit overkill but it looks nice and isn’t going to fall in. The beams had to be pressure laminated to support the weight so were very expensive (about €50/m). A simpler roof would avoid that extra cost.

Sid

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:16 pm

olive wrote:If you want a more traditional look then beams at 50 cm gap and insulated boards faced with plasterboard for underneath are available. Then on top the traditional finish. S/H Old roofing tiles used to be a euro each but may well have plummeted assuming you can find any.
hi there, our beams are original so very irregular (ie not neat and straight) would our builder still be able to use this method to retro-fit and add a much needed layer of insulation? I imagine it would be quite a faff cutting the insulation and plasterboard to fit the gap while ensuring the beams are left sufficiently showing to keep 'the look'... but would it significantly improve our winter heating issues????? if you thought this is possible would you know approximate cost per sq metre of ceiling?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Just a thought but is as someone said earlier would you consider a flat roof, if this is an option you may consider a tiled terrace for a roof.
How they do this is concrete beams set about 50 cm apart, there then is a crockery thing slots between, this is the covered with conctete
with reinforced steel There be insulation if you decide to use. There be a waterproof membrane to ensure no water can seep through, the whole area is then tiled over with outdoor terrace tiles, the complete finish has just a slight slope to allow water towards gutters, the fact that your span is 3.5 metre his be pretty easy option.
Half of my roof and another outdoor area with living area under are done this way and it works well, the front are on to street has normal slope roof and the rear has the said flat terrace roof.

Hope this helps...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Sorry cannot help with traditional roofing costs.

I suspect mixing modern plasterboard faced insulated boards with old uneven wooden beams would be difficult and involve a lot of ugly packing pieces. You need to get some or a builder quotes and advice. You may find the builder would suggest all new materials.

Next hurdle - finding a good builder.

Just read your post wollie. Youcan get the “ crockery things” with either a flat internal finish or a nice barrelled effect.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Nice barrel effect on crocks underneath/on celing to do with electric/a/con etc and are rendered over.
Olive, likely a girl and possibly limited in build area?

As regards cost i forgot to say i have no idea...

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:44 pm

Can you remove the old beams, have the new roof done & then incorporate the old beams back inside ? When we reformed our casa, the builder added some 'old' beams to our living room ceiling as a gift - a shrewd move, as we liked them so much we paid for the remaining downstairs rooms to be done as well !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:43 am

country boy wrote:If you are not restricted by planning or other regulations Insulated roof sheets would easily span that ( Flat Roof Option obviously) for very little effort and cost. Just raise one long wall a couple of feet. You can even get mock tile profile if you prefer
Google insulated roof sheets for a view.
A few rafters and some purlins...piece of cake!

Would those sheets be good for a long time in the sun? I mean, are they 20 year+ tested?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am

SL Yes and Yes I have some on mine..noisy in heavy rain but otherwise perfect.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Woollie - Olive, is, I believe, a chap, and very knowledgeable about all things rural in Spain.

In general, the big problem is getting a builder that you can trust, that is not too busy to take the job, and can quote a realistic price - getting an estimate from our locals is the hardest thing!

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 pm

olive wrote: I suspect mixing modern plasterboard faced insulated boards with old uneven wooden beams would be difficult and involve a lot of ugly packing pieces. You need to get some or a builder quotes and advice. You may find the builder would suggest all new materials.
Next hurdle - finding a good builder.
thanks, as I suspected. labour costs may be prohibitive. could be a labour of love for myself though if I had the time :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Flashman wrote:could be a labour of love for myself though if I had the time :crazy:
Do remember though when you apply for a works licence you must include your own labour in the costs at a realistic rate.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.