Lone and ill

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Gobeyond60
Tourist

Lone and ill

Postby Gobeyond60 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:50 pm

A friend aged 80 without family has had a stroke and is in hospital. He has residencia etc. He is incapacitated and will be needing care.
What are his options if has to leave hospital?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lone and ill

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Social services at his townhall might be able to help

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Up here in the Mar Menor there is a wonderful charity that offers all sorts of help in these situations, from equipment like bathing aids to special beds and visiting care. Perhaps some or all of the hundreds of supporters of animals could start to put people first?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Was your friend a member of the Armed Forces?
If so he would be entitled to help from numerous organistaions, and as he is age 80 there would be a good chance that he would have been called up for 'National Service'.

The Royal British Legion are able to help if he is ex-service, he doesn't have to be a member.

If you need further information please feel free to contact me, I have numerous useful contacts.

Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Crazy situation that you even have to ask this information. What sort of world is it when an 80 year old who is very ill struggles to get help.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

One of the downsides of living in Spain, where the accepted thing is for families to support each other, difficult if there is no family. The structure is very different in the UK and no doubt other more sophisticated countries. It must be said that if you come to live in Spain, do not develop a serious ongoing condition.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 pm

If an expat goes to the trouble of integrating in Spain they will be 'adopted ' by locals and looked after in times of need.

There are far worse places than Spain in the world to be alone and ill, including the US and the UK isn't the compassionate and caring place that some may think.

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm

In most places in Spain families caring for the aged is patchy, not the same anymore. Anyone who reads the Spanish news will know of the frequent articles about the problem of elderly care, or lack of. Long lists for a place in a care home. Have chosen this one as it is from El Pais in English but there are many in Sur de Malaga.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/03/in ... 83868.html

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Interesting report from last year Katy, do you think that this type of report is possibly politically motivated ?

I'm always wary of newspaper reports, most seem to be trying to score political points with propaganda type reporting.

I can only personaly remember one case of family refusing to look after their ailing father, however he was a drunk who caused many problems for his family for a long time.

I wonder if you could update the situation regarding care for patients etc., in the UK, I'm rather outof touch with UK now.

Regards,
Gordon

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:47 pm

I agree Gordon.
My wife’s extended family take it in turns to look after elderly members of the family. An Uncle with dementia was in a care home but as he had never married, nieces and my mother in law visited him to do things for him at regular intervals throughout the day. My father in-law has been extremely ill recently and gets loads of support.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

We have a very small UK community here — less than a dozen couples. We all look after each other in times of crisis and need.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Interesting report from last year Katy, do you think that this type of report is possibly politically motivated ?

I'm always wary of newspaper reports, most seem to be trying to score political points with propaganda type reporting.

I can only personaly remember one case of family refusing to look after their ailing father, however he was a drunk who caused many problems for his family for a long time.

I wonder if you could update the situation regarding care for patients etc., in the UK, I'm rather outof touch with UK now.

Regards,
Gordon
There is always that possibility but many of the stories in the Spanish papers have been consistent. A few recently where elderly people have been dead of weeks before being alerted. (OK happens in other countries too) I read between the lines in any media but generally rely on what I have seen or heard from trusted friends. and not hearsay of heard in a bar, or a forum. Have seen a few expats struggling at the end and we and others had to rally round. Most eventually went back to UK.

Not much point my boring people about what is available in my area as there is plenty of info on google. We also were sent a 20+ booklet of services etc for pensioners. Now even someone to visit you weekly if you are lonely :mrgreen: One of the advantages is the care allowance to buy help. A couple in their 90's at the end of our Lane get around 180 per week to buy care/cleaning etc. even though they are financially sound.

Many who don't post read this forum for info and it would be disingenuous to imply that the safety nets for elderly are the same as elsewhere in Northern Europe.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm

BENIDORM wrote:
There are far worse places than Spain in the world to be alone and ill, including the US and the UK isn't the compassionate and caring place that some may think.
UK has thousands of people volunteering for orgs like AgeUK which are very active in this area. Massive volunteering network, probably the best in the world!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Katy,
Thank you for your update.

I know about the abundance of charity organisations in UK, more than 40 years ago I was a volunteer with several organisations and worked a few years for Social Services which was an eye-opener.
However Spain does also have many help organisations and of course in many cases it's the help from the unsung heroes of family and friends who provide the care, many years ago I can remember the same in UK.
I also quote from my own personal knowledge when discussing most issues, I do look at Google but don't rely on the factual content.

And in all countries I also know that the level of assistance is very regional, some areas overwhelmingly good..other areas sadly lacking.

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Going to get worse too as we all live longer. Heard some bad stories about Canada as a relative visited us from there recently. A man in our village aged 81 went into a hospice for end of life care. A charity and the place was wonderful, jacuzzi baths, huge bedrooms and fantastic care. all free. However the rules said they can only stay 6 weeks and he outlived it so he had to be moved to a care home, he died just 2 weeks later.

My effing hip is killing me and I am going on holiday next week. Can we change the subject to something lighter :lol: Pleeeze :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Can we keep the subject to what is happening in Spain, maybe?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:27 pm

It is but bound to stray a little with peoples personal experiences.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Hola

Depending on where he lives, Age in Spain or Age Concern maybe able to help try https://www.ageinspain.org/about

Davexf

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 am

peteroldracer wrote:Up here in the Mar Menor there is a wonderful charity that offers all sorts of help in these situations, from equipment like bathing aids to special beds and visiting care. Perhaps some or all of the hundreds of supporters of animals could start to put people first?
People have a voice animals don't and as much as I sympathise with someone who is ill at 80. You need to think ahead for when you are ill and unable to care for yourself and make suitable arrangements. Animals do not have that choice they are bred at random and then abandoned. Not that I would not do my best if I knew someone of 80 and ill and try to get something sorted, but there isnt a lot here.

I know people in the UK get wonderful care and we still look after our animals. Perhaps that is an option. And hats off to the OP who is trying to help. But someone has posted

This might be a useful link email [email protected] web www.supportinspain.info
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am

Agree Patrica. Everyone has their own priorities re. charities. Saw where someone left a £198,000 to RNLI and I thought that was stranger. I never give to larger charities either. During my younger years I (aka my parents) must have given a small fortune to build wells in Africa :wink: Look at all this collective grief and millions rolling in for Notre Dame, sad as it is no one died. Having a candle factory must be very lucrative!

BTW good link, have passed it on to friends in Spain.