No dash-cams at ITV centre

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

No dash-cams at ITV centre

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 pm

I took my car to the ITV recently and the first thing the tester did was to point aggressively at my front and rear dash-cams. At first I thought he was indicating that I should dismantle them but once I had persuaded him that I would understand him if he actually spoke to me I realised that he merely wanted me to disconnect them during the course of the inspection.

This is the first time I have ever been told to do this and he proudly showed me a tiny sign at the entrance to each inspection lane that cameras and mobiles had to be switched off. I am sure that the signs were not there the last time I went with another car a couple of months ago.

I would guess that there has recently been some kind of altercation at a test centre showing an inspector with a bad attitude which was caught on a dash-cam and which has probably been posted on what people laughingly call 'social media'. This is probably covered by the 'ley mordaza'.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: No dash-cams at ITV centre

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Obviousley they do not want to be filmed. Dash cams have there place and I am sure they are here to stay. I just don't think we should be filmed 24/7 without our knowledge and then splashed all over the internet. If you went past a school everyday and filmed the children with your phone you would get lynched by the parents and quite rightly so. You can drive by in a car filming kids and no one knows. A nonce with a dash cam must be in paradise.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:07 pm

With 'shirt button' cameras and tiny DVRs and recording systems disguised as spectacles all for a few euros anyone can record anything they want if they feel so inclined so what is the next step? Confiscation of spectacles and strip searches prior to every ITV test?

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:44 am

It's a combination of the Citizen's Security/Safety Act and the Spanish equivalent of the Data Protection Act. A bit of a mention is in this thread from John the Baptist's mistreatment:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39261&p=390449#p390449

Being non-res, I was a bit startled when one of my chums who's a proper immigrant told me dash cams are illegal; I'd only recently bought one for the drive down. They're not, specifically, but it's a bit grey. Using a dashcam as a personal holiday video of the trip (which I could legit claim) falls outwith the DPA, but using one to identify any person and record their actions appears to be prohibited. Some day, I'll have to look up cases of dashcam and doorbell cam being successfully used in fault-accident and "my vase is broken because courier threw it onto porch" claims because, if use for that purpose is illegal, then presumably that evidence would be inadmissible? The "gagging law" Citizen's Security Act further makes it an offence to record public officials (which ITV inspectors might feel they are, although centres are run by private companies) doing whatever they like.

Even if you have covert surveillance equipment, confiscation isn't really an issue because actually using it to prove a point reveals your illegal action, which can and has been prosecuted. The woman who posted on FB a police car parked in a minusvalidos space (she was fined €800 for impugning the officer's reputation) is a case in point. The PSOE had planned to revoke or at least modify the gagging law, but the dissolving of parliament has shelved it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Yes, compare the €800 fine for photographing a police vehicle in a disabled bay with the actions of this disgusting piece of excrement and his nightshirt clad cronies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfxE6hM3twU

I know it was four years ago and Choudary was eventually extradited but it wasn't because of this.

It seems Spain has gone too far and the UK not far enough but, then, that's par for the course.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Hola

I also have a dashcam and am very happy to use it. However I recently discovered they are banned in Portugal - I pop over the border several times a year so just a word of caution for all - check the countries you intend to travel in if you have a dashcam

Davexf

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 am

AFAIK, only Austria requires an actual permit to have a dashcam mounted. Most other countries in EU have varying degrees of interpretation of DPA but the common theme is that dashcam footage taken in a public place for private use is outwith the scope of the DPA. However, posting up on YouTube "watch this idiot overtake me then suddenly brake", clearly identifying that person/car is absolutely illegal and may be prosecuted (although such examples are all over YT, from countries where it's supposed to be banned). A quick search suggests that some judges may accept dashcam etc footage if they believe the seriousness of the incident warrants it (e.g., another driver forces you to a stop, gets out and hammers your windscreen) but perhaps not civil-case level "and because of him, I swerved into the fence and damaged my car" stuff.

All pretty grey where Napoleonic Law prevails. If I were issued a fine in Portugal or (less likely) Spain having been pulled over with a dashcam running, I would use the defence of private use to bore my relatives with, rather than pay the fine (more difficult when stationary and very difficult if inside a building). OTOH, if my primary purpose of having it were to prove fault in an accident, I'd wonder if it's worthwhile - maybe insurers might take it into consideration - given that a really narky plod might argue that it was placed where it might obscure your vision, you didn't immediately switch it off when pulled over etc. UK and France is no problem.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:55 am

Off topic, but Anjem Choudary has only ever been expelled from Lebanon. He could hardly be extradited from Britain, as he was born in London. He has, however, served time until recently for support of a proscribed organization (ISIL)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 am

Your post is not only off topic it is also inaccurate. The fact that he was born in London would not be a bar to his extradition from the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition ... -nationals

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 am

FWIW, I meant for his buttocky hassling on a UK street - extradited to where? But not pertinent anyways.