Dart charge for expat users

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Dart charge for expat users

Postby olive » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 pm

We used this crossing in early January and only managed to pay it an hour over the time lmit.

The fine appeared in our mail, all in Spanish, today. Along with a fine for a lorry driver in San Sebastion. He is presumably blissfully unaware! We spoke to Dart on the phone and have submitted a claim to have the fine dismissed. We wont find out for up to 56 days if we have been successful. Dart weren't interested in the lorry drivers penalty. We will post it on to him.

Has anyone figured out the easiest way to pay the toll for an expat resident in Spain with a Spanish reg car and no UK address? I will be using it again on Sunday unless I teach them a lesson by going the longer way round the M25. :oops:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dart charge for expat users

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 am

I didn't think they chased foreign plated cars according to the UK news. Millions oweing .

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Hola

It is easier to use the M20 to the Blackwall tunnel and the M11 to the M25 again if going North, and the reverse if going south

Davexf

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Good idea, It will hopefully be Sunday so less busy. Thanks.

Costakid. They chased us and we had paid albeit late. Plus the lorry driver. The paperwork is from Dart and as I said all in Spanish. They seem very organised apart from putting someone elses paperwork in with ours and not being interested. I do not know how far they go in following up none payment and don't intend to find out.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

Dart charge have broken the data laws themselves. By sending you the details of the lorry driver in San Sebastian, they have breached GDPR and should report themselves to the Information Commissioner's Office for the breach. (Yes, seriously!).
This might be why they were not too interested in the lorry driver's fine being mis-posted. I'm sure they would rather ignore it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Hull City Council sent me the following, re a bus lane infringement.
“We have spoken to the Parking Enforcement office and they have stated that the PCN has been cancelled.
As your address is not in England or Scotland, we are unable to enforce the PCN within Civil Enforcement guidelines.”
Maybe Dart should be appraised of this....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:30 am

There's a thread elsewhere on the forum where Dart comes up (recent - I'll find the link if requested) and someone else posted an external article on how near-impossible it is for many foreign residents to pay Dart fines, and their contradictory "yes you must/no, you don't have to" emails. Organised and efficient they are not. I'm UK-res and, as I mentioned in the other tread, I signed up for a prepaid (minimum £20 down payment) online account. I kind of wish I hadn't as they move the goalposts (I have yet another change in Ts and Cs email this month) but it does have the advantage of fire-and-forget once done. That is, assuming I have no hiccup in May.
I've always done M6,M1,M25,M20 since time immemorial but my satnav and Google both suggest M40 (thus avoiding Dart altogether) is a better idea. Maybe I should listen, for once.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Can't you just pay online before you go? (I always do it once I'm there and know the reg number of the hire car.) You can do it in advance as it is valid for ages and you just buy the number of crossings you need.
https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge
Where you enter your reg no is a drop down box to say country of reg, then you enter the reg no and the car details as it will not be able to trace the car as it usually does for a UK one. I haven't tried it but it looks doable.