used car: AUTO COZAR, "VIP - Cars", experiences?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

used car: AUTO COZAR, "VIP - Cars", experiences?

Postby qe2ex » Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Anyone have experiences with either of these two car dealers: "AUTO COZAR" and "VIP - Cars"? Interested in a not-so-vip car and wonder what experience people here have had with them.

Seen recommendations for Bill Brady and AXAR cars on the forum, but currently neither of them have what I'm looking for unfortunately (something like a mid-range Audi or BMW, and has to be an automatic unfortunately).

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: used car: AUTO COZAR, "VIP - Cars", experiences?

Postby costakid » Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 pm

VIP Cars Marbella? They know how to charge. Very high prices.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Yeah, that's who I meant.

I'm still trying to get my bearings on local prices here, but looking at something like this from "VIP-Cars", the price does not seem too far off assuming it's in near mint condition, or am I wrong?

https://www.autoscout24.es/anuncios/bmw ... ?cldtidx=8

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 am

I don't know them but, as you've probably found out, VIP's reviews on Google/FB etc are highly praising. I don't know how accurate autoscout's algorithm is in calculating that the price is comparably super-low, but you could always search similar cars on Mil Anuncios to get a feel. Actually buying off MA is something I would not recommend until you're very familiar - plenty of sharks and scammers in the car section - but it has its uses to see what prices are asked. Not only is Spain wildly more expensive on the s/h market, but Andalucia is higher than populous central and northern Spanish areas. What's rightly regarded as a worthless heap in Barcelona is still seen as some four-digit prized possession here. Also, trying to negotiate the price down doesn't seem to bear much fruit.

Before spending that money, it's just about worth running a Carfax check. Carfax is pretty rubbish; nowhere near as good as HPI or even the info from Cazana or .gov's MOT history is for UK cars, but I found it saved me some wasted journeys. It flagged up ex-taxis, hire cars etc and there's a small dealership up the road from me whose "one careful owner" cars not only had 5-6 previous, but weren't even fitted with the engine hp advertized. VIP do flash hire-car as well as sales, and although they've got the positive reviews, might be worth checking out if it's been through several fortnight-hirers. I noticed the reg plate is partially covered (fair enough) so you'd have to pay a visit in order to enter that into the Carfax search. I bought a dozen searches in advance (which used to be MUCH, but is now somewhat, better value than a one-off search) from the Carfax site and used them all up, necessitating the purchase of more searches, before I got a car that smelled right in all depts.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Yes, the reason I'm considering them is the good reviews on Google. Buying private is something I don't want to risk currently, much for the reasons you mention yourself, so a reputable dealer is the only way for me.

I will contact them by email to ask for the details of the cars I'm interested in and try to look them up via carfax.

Was not aware there would be a big price difference between here (been looking in Malaga) and e.g. Barcelona. Unfortunately Barcelona is quite a stetch. Driving back from Madrid would be ok I guess, but wouldn't want to have to go there to sort out warranty issues, so suspect I'll have to over-pay here anyway then.

Thank for the advice.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 am

Auto Cozar have a good reputation around these parts, ie Manilva / Estepona, posts on FB Manilva chat very complimentary,went to them myself when looking for a car and found them very friendly and no pushy salesman, just left you to look around.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Thank you. Appreciate the information.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 pm

we have lots of cars with their number plate surrounds on. wether thats an indication of them being good .. i wouldnt know, but i assume it is?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 pm

I bought from Cozar, the excellent non-rip-off garage I've used for years in the Estepona poligano recommended them. They were fine, but that was a few years ago. Never heard bad things though.

There are a couple of second hand places in the poligano who also look OK.......