Trip to Seville.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
martin321

Trip to Seville.

Postby martin321 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 am

Hi everyone,I am new to the forum so please bear with me.We are coming to Seville in May for a few days, and are thinking about a trip to Huelva city.Can you advise me on the best way to get there, I have had a look and it looks a bit confusing. some say you have to pay cash if you catch the bus etc.Can you tell me the best places to go while we are there for the day.

Thank you.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Trip to Seville.

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am

Check out Alsa bus on line, i have booked many times through their website.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:43 am

Just my opinion I would give Huelva a miss, most of it is quite ugly. So many nicer places in the area to visit.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Ronda, Cordoba, Carmona

martin321

Postby martin321 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks,everyone,I was not sure about Huelva, I think we will go to Carmona, it seems quite close by and can be reached by bus.
Regards.
Martin.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Just back from a couple of nights in carmona. A beautiful town.well worth a visit while you are in seville.although if its your first visit to seville imo you need at least three days to see all the main sites there

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:34 pm

What do folk think are the must-see sites over three days? I am going in May

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:49 am

Katy's link to the Torygraph article at the start of the other Sevilla thread mentions some good spots, although that travel-section "sip mint tea whilst holding a hardback copy of Love in the Time of Cholera in trendy Café des Pseuds" stuff is exactly what I don't do. The Plaza de España is something I'm very glad I spent time around. Apart from the ceramic celebrations of Andalucia's towns, it's also a deeply cool-shaded haven from any sun that's too fierce - as I found out in August. It's inside Parque María Luisa, which is also worth giving time to. I wandered around the archaeological museum's outside, but should have gone in. The Universidad, Real Alcázar, Catedral, Las Setas (I like interesting modern architecture) and Palacio de las Dueñas are all in a reasonably straight line walk north of the park. That, and the tapas around the environs of the river, will probably do me when I meet up with my brother for the day in May.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 am

Thank you 1bassleft

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:40 am

Have a look on tripadvisor if you havnt already for the top things to see. Depends on what you are into. But of course the main sights are as 1 bass said. All the main sights bar plaza espana (very special dont miss it) are in a pretty compact walkable area. The roman etc museum at the end of the park where plaza espana is is worth a visit if you like your history. Nice buildings and a cafe there aswell.people tend to miss it as they dont walk that far

Casa pilatos and Palace of the Countess of Lebrija are defo worth a visit if you like those types of places.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:26 pm

yes, great Elusive. Love history

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:16 pm

Theres also The Archivo General de Indias. We went here on our second trip. Really intresting history. They show a little film aswell. Its right next to the alcazar

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri May 10, 2019 12:29 am

Just returned from meeting up with my eldest brother in Sevilla, as planned. When in May did you intend, Maureen, I wished I'd asked? He arrived on Tues 7th; I did know this quite a bit in advance but - as usual - left my arrangements very late. I was surprised both by the online lack of hotel availability and the price hike (I've stayed at the Ibis there a couple of times in the past). He texted me that he'd arrived at the start of some sort of fiesta. Of course - the Feria de Abril which, this time, is in May because Semana Santa was so late (it starts two weeks after).

Well, we decided to head up on Weds 8th and took along two friends who've never been. They surprised us by booking two rooms at the AC Forum (Marriot) for the night at not much more than Ibis Budget (never mind Ibis std) were quoting. They're all in the same area, which is typical outskirts by the A40 aeropuerto autovia. Whichever, if you went for any, the advantage is the easy parking - being some 11km from the action. However, the #28 bus picks up from the nearby Carrefour stop and, for €1.60pp, la ultima parada is right opposite Plaza de Espana and walkable (my wife's 9cm heels might disagree) to the old Tobacco factory, Real Alcazar, Cathedral, horsecart tour pickup and such. It's also a major bus (and tram) terminal area for everything else.

We bussed into the feria and, although we left like party poopers before 11pm, the taxi queue was like for the decent rides at Disneyland Paris, i.e., not worth considering (four barrier lines deep, each ~100m). The good news was that the C1 bus to Triana, where plenty of good tapas and more restaurants are, was the shortest bus queue, and we just made a willing table by 11pm (in May, much later eating was easier in August). That was walking distance for my brother's hostel, so the four of us decided on a taxi back to our hotel which came in just under €20, after midnight.

Hope some of that comes in useful. I was told the buses ran through the night, but I don't know if that was because of the feria or standard practice.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks 1bassleft. I am going this weekend and taking notes of suggestions right now. Can't wait. will report back

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun May 26, 2019 5:04 am

Possibly too late for you now (been sorting other stuff in UK) but we stopped in at Osuna on the way back. Had a look at some pre-Roman sandstone quarry (can't remember the name) which is easy to park by and €2pp entry. That's fair, as wandering inside is worth 15-30 mins max of your time. Some quarry toolery and very faux Phonecian-Romanesque carvings that date all the way back to the mid-2000s. We also parked up by the old Univesidad (easy free parking but steeply sloped in some areas) and wandered freely. I particularly liked the "Francisco Gomez Carcia woz 'ere 1911" scratchings into the columns and took a pic. Blimmin' students. Cafe inside, too, but none of us had digested the hotel brekky. There are some other nearby religious etc buildings that no-one minded us noseying in. One had a notice at the entrance that stated they were happy to show you around - just knock - but, of course we were far too English to bother people to do that. Worth a short detour if driving back to Malaga province.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 27, 2019 11:56 am

We stopped in osuna on the way back from two nights in carmona including a day in ecija. Yet another lovely place.tbh we have hardly been anywhere that wasnt beautiful. We parked near the top and went in the convent where a nun gives you a guided tour then stopped in the main square and walked down the two streets with the stunning old buildings. Calle sevilla and pedro. You can see how wealthly these places were in the past.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon May 27, 2019 3:26 pm

I think the convent would be where a notice said we'd be shown around if we knocked, but we were too shy. How much did we miss out, elusive? Might summon up the courage next time.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah sounds like it.you had to pay and get a ticket in the other museum office opposite. Go over ring the bell and wait for the nun! The tour is in spanish but if you have a basic grasp its easy enough to follow. The alter and main body of the convent are pretty stunning as they all seem to be. A little inner courtyard and different rooms with typical catholic wealth. paintings orniments etc. The nuns were very friendly. The one who showed us around had been there 15 years and was originally from columbia

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 am

Ah, bit of an opportunity missed. My friend-of-a-friend's Peruvian and she'd have liked that a lot. I didn't spot the ticket pre-requisite so I'm glad we decided against summoning anyone and the awkwardness of keeping them hanging while we scurried over to get entry rights. Nice town, good views from that area but, as you say, there's so much eye candy around Andalucia that I hardly ever stop at a place and think "meh".

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Came back from Seville on Saturday. Went with pal and sister. Stayed in lovely 3 bed air bnbnear town centre. Did all the sights mentioned here. Also went mad and did the horse and cart and tour bus as pal had sore knee. Supporters were in town for the Valencia/Barca final so really great atmosphere. Having workmen in next week so have booked to go back with two of my sons. Cannot wait.