Padron definitive answer

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
ashtondav
Resident

Padron definitive answer

Postby ashtondav » Thu May 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Right, when should you/must you sign on the padron. Everyone gives me different answers.

We spend 5 months in Spain, never more than 3 months at one time and own a property. Should we be on the padron. Please link or reference spanish law.

Why are there so many different answers to a very simple question?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Padron definitive answer

Postby Miro » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am

I don't believe you will ever get a definitive answer to this (referenced in Spanish law). If you have been told you should / must register (which personally I don't believe you should), ask yourself what are the consequences of not doing so? (I don't believe there are any). If it's a case of you want to register (for whatever reason), ask yourself: will my town hall allow me to? I don't believe they should since you are not a resident, but if they do, what harm will it do? If you haven't been told you should, and you don't have any particular reason for wanting to, then why worry about it?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am

Thought it was pretty simple. You only sign on if you live here full time.ie your habitual residence. Although alot of towns want anyone to sign on as they get more money.guy in our townhall said its causing a problem with the amount of houses been bought up by holiday let owners (ontop of there been a lack of homes for residents) as they are losing out on money and then you add on all the under the radars who wont sign.

Personally i would be wary of signing on if your arent resident because in the future who knows they may start going through the padrons to connect people to tax residencia

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 am

This is pretty definitive.

Ley 7/85 Article 15

Any person living in Spain is obliged to register in the Municipal Register in which they habitually reside.

Of course, as we all know, if your habitual residence is in Spain, by definition you are tax resident.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 am

elusive wrote: Personally i would be wary of signing on if your arent resident because in the future who knows they may start going through the padrons to connect people to tax residencia
They already have.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri May 24, 2019 8:13 am

Why wouldn't you sign on ? Even if you only spend a few months here, if you own a house you would expect to receive certain services.
Whilst most services are covered by IBI payments, others depend on money received directly from the government. Health centres for example, and yes, you or your guests may need to access this at some time. Schools, postal services, sports activities etc, all these are for the benefit of the whole community, and the more people who sign on to the Padron, the more money the town or village receive. So be a good neighbour and sign on.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 24, 2019 9:43 am

fincalospinos wrote:Why wouldn't you sign on ?
Because it is illegal to do so! It is actually the official census for Spain, which is why you are obliged to sign on as a resident. If everyone with a holiday home signed on it would totally distort the official population figures for Spain.

The fact that local councils encourage you to do so (just because the mayor needs more taxpayers money to buy a new car) is not a valid reason for doing so.

As Beachcomber has just said, you may find yourself being fined for not submitting an income tax return as a self declared habitual resident.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
elusive wrote: Personally i would be wary of signing on if your arent resident because in the future who knows they may start going through the padrons to connect people to tax residencia
They already have.
Thanks. Thats intresting.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 24, 2019 2:20 pm

If you are not resident I can see no point in being on the padron. You need it to register for health care (with S1 or whatever) or to change your visitor status to resident. Can’t think of anything else ( though some dealers ask for it when you buy a car).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun May 26, 2019 8:58 am

elusive wrote:Thought it was pretty simple. You only sign on if you live here full time.ie your habitual residence. Although alot of towns want anyone to sign on as they get more money.guy in our townhall said its causing a problem with the amount of houses been bought up by holiday let owners (ontop of there been a lack of homes for residents) as they are losing out on money and then you add on all the under the radars who wont sign.

Personally i would be wary of signing on if your arent resident because in the future who knows they may start going through the padrons to connect people to tax residencia
Thanks. That is precisely why I asked the question. Since I spend 7 months of the year in my uk house I will not be signing on, although many here tell me to do so.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Wed May 29, 2019 12:11 pm

An advantage of signing on is you can have a vote in the election to elect your mayor and council, after all you're paying for the services as well and should be entitled to have a say.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 pm

jogger wrote: you can have a vote in the election to elect your mayor and council.
Next chance to vote will be four years time...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.