La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

Postby Granite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:17 pm

I have been declaring UK rental income on my Spanish tax return for ten years.
This year my Gestor has requested the number of the National Identity Document, or similar, of the tenant in England.
Apparently this is a new requirement for La Renta 2018.
Has anyone else with UK rental income to declare been asked for this?

Thanks.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:07 pm

No we havnt been asked. Seems an odd request unless they want proof it is actual rental income?

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 am

I have now heard via other forums that it is a new requirement. Clearly it is applicable only to landlords/tenants in Spain but I suspect the elctronic La Renta needs a number in a box. Others with UK tenants have given NI numbers. Has your gestor submitted your return yet?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm

No they havnt yet. Will see if they say anything

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:25 pm

If I were a Briton with no connection whatsoever with Spain and I was renting a UK property from another Briton I think I would object in the strongest possible terms if I discovered that my name, address and national insurance number were being used on a Spanish tax return.

This is intrusive and untenable in the extreme and must surely constitute a breach of data protection laws somewhere along the line.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm

I agree with you and raised the point with my UK letting agent. I am waiting to hear. Meanwhile the issue remains that without an entry in a box on the 2018 tax return it appears it cannot be completed.

I was given this link https://www.invertia.com/es/noticias/im ... das-260069 which explains the purpose of the information which I understand but clearly the detail has not been thought through.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

To be clear on the information they are asking for it was described by my gestor as "Para completar la declaración estaba pendiente de que nos facilitaras en número del Documento Nacional de Identidad, o similar, del inquilino del piso de Inglaterra." No name or address. I have raised the issue with him and asked him to speak to the tax office.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:27 pm

This is obviously aimed at rental of a Spaniard renting a Spanish property which is fair enough because they can trace the renter via his NIE number or DNI but giving the National Insurance number of a UK resident renting in the UK is not. By definition they will have his address because it will be included on the tax return. This is just another rule that has been introduced by someone in a system that is so corrupt and riddled with criminality and deception that they assume everyone else is the same.

My parents-in-law live in my UK property rent free and I just declare notional tax on my annual declaration but I wonder how long it will be before I have to provide a statement from them, in Spanish, made before a bilingual UK notary public to the effect that they do not pay rent.

Meanwhile there are tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of foreigners living in Spain under the radar and getting away with paying no tax whatsoever, anywhere. Perhaps the time spent by AEAT nitpicking people who are trying to do things properly would be better spent catching and prosecuting tax dodgers but that would involve rather more effort and intelligence than sitting on their fat backsides pressing a few keys on a computer.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Agree re data protection.especially in the u.k.All the uk tennant had to do is refuse and what you cant file your return?

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 am

Just make up any old number and put it in the box. No way for Spain to check, and if they did find it were nonsense, just tell them that was the number given to you by your tenant.

Parilla

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 pm

I asked my gestor about this and he thinks there is a box that can be ticked which enables just the nationality of the tenant(s) to be entered. This apparent new requirement potentially affects me too but I won't know for sure what the options are until my declaración de la renta gets finalised for submission in the coming days.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I completed my own Renta online. I filled in the box as 'No Hay' meaning there is none. The declaration was accepted and I paid my tax.

There are lots of countries in the world where there are no identity numbers additionally I cannot force my tenant to give me their I.D. number.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Looked at the filed declaration today and you put the name of the renter in and underneather it says put a x in the box if they have a non spanish ID . No number is required

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 pm

I think you still have to enter a number in the box 0075. You put an X in the box below (0076) if the "NIF" is for a different country.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 pm

I'll have a look again as it was only a quick glimpse but its gone through with no ID from the renter included

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:56 pm

It definitely worked for me without a number...just 'NO HAY' in the box for tenants ID number.