Water deposit

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
BRZY56
Tourist

Water deposit

Postby BRZY56 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Hello everyone!
Thanks for allowing access to the Forum.
We have recently bought a property in Albox and we would be very grateful for any advice about one of the many things we do not know. :think:
We have inherited a nearly empty 20000 litre water deposit. I have topped it up bit by bit from the mains to about half full.
As the mains pressure is a bit low I would like to run the pump and supply the house from the deposit.
As I have no experience of water deposits I am worried about the quality of the water that I would pump to the house.
The pump is supplied by a dip pipe that seems to be higher than the tank bottom so I am hopeful that only water will be pumped and not sludge. My question is, is it advisable to use water purifying tablets in these deposits or is the water ok just for baths and toilet flushing?
Sorry this first post is a bit long :D
Thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Water deposit

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Mains water is chlorinated and safe to drink. If you want to ensure that the standard of water in the depósito is maintained, using pool Chlorine would be fine. At worst it may taste over chlorinated but it won’t kill you. A pool testing kit would help to keep it at the right levels.

You need to keep on the low side of the recommended pool level. 0.5ppm is going to be about right.

Unlike an open pool, the chlorine levels will stay fairly constant as it gets no sun to break down the chlorine. In hot weather the chlorine will drop more quickly, but it should be easy to keep the levels up. If you overdo it your tea might taste a bit.

Sid

BRZY56
Tourist

Postby BRZY56 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks for the advice Sid.
As the water is chlorinated as it goes in I will do as you suggest and get a pool testing kit and some tablets.
Brzy

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 am

I think you're going down the wrong road!!

Buy a 1m3 water tank and a pump to pump the water to the house when pressure is low. Total cost for both no more than 300 euros. Obviously the tank gets filled automatically with mains water. U might even be able to put the tank on the roof of your house. Very easy to setup also.

Using the water deposit for the house and treating it etc. is pointless and unnecessary, not to mention time consuming in checking quality levels, etc.
Instead, use it for irrigating your plants/trees if u have any. Just because it's there doesn't mean u have to use it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 am

If you can put the tank on the roof of your house then you probably won't need a pump.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BRZY56
Tourist

Postby BRZY56 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice jhonie99 and Gerry. I think it's a good point about only using it cos it's there! I like to play with pumps etc but I think I will just stay on the mains if I can.
brzy

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Don't worry about sludge as it simple and cheap to fit a filter or two in line. We have 2, a 5 micron and a 1 micron filter. However I fitted these on the inlet pipe to the deposito so the deposito itself doesn't get full of grit, sludge etc. Horrible job to clear it out and doing it once was enough. After 5 years or so the bottom of the deposito is pretty much spotless apart from a few leaves that fell in when I had the lid open. We also have cal and carbon filters in line after the pump to condition the water.
Regards

Bob

BRZY56
Tourist

Postby BRZY56 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks Bob
brzy

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Hey BRZY56,

I´ve gotta say that I agree with the guys here - the 20k L tank is ideal for storing water, but thats alot of water - If its just for a "back up" for the house when the water goes off, - look around - 90% of houses (if they even have a tank these days, alot of people have removed them), only have a tank of about 200L - and its set up "inline" with the mains, so its constantly filling / refreshing.

The 20K L tank is more for irrigation of land like you´ve already been told - it might of been put there before the house had mains water etc, or in the past was used as a swimming pool.

Alot of friends that are "campo" people, tend to buy water by the tractor full - 20,000 L is about 80€ delivered, apparently. (compared with town water at 20€ for 20,000 litres..) its a very expensive way to live.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:35 pm

I personally, however, would channel all the guttering etc into the tank if its downhill - fill it up in the winter and then it would be usable for the summer.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

BRZY56
Tourist

Postby BRZY56 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks for the advice spanish_lad