moto (again)

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
wollie
Resident

moto (again)

Postby wollie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:05 am

I am coming over this week and back to search as i had not time last trip.
Anyway i am looking at two of the brand Derbi.
Can anyone advise if these are of reasonable quality.
The ones i am looking at are 25 and 40 years old.
They are only small as i just want a bicycle with an engine for campo.
If people think these too small please tell me.
Any advise on makes to buy or not to buy appreciated.
I am not worried about paying a bit more but i want to pay now and not later on repairs.

Many thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: moto (again)

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 am

Not sure about the older bikes but I just googled MCN reviews and the have good reports on the new bikes. Seem a descent machine.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 am

I do not want a newer plastic bike as i would wreck it in a week.
"Seem a descent machine" are you referring to Derbi?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am

Any small moto of advanced years is likely to have had many owners, none of them little old nuns, so will have been neglected and abused. Just look at a cross-section of those you see about the place!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

wollie wrote: "Seem a descent machine" are you referring to Derbi?
yes but only from reading reports from motor cycle news

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 am

Hello Wollie. The Derbi Variant I remember in a similar mould to the Puchs you were considering earlier; simple, reliable step-thru mopeds. Less likely to have been thrashed by teenagers, but also ridden by some people who never thought of oil, grease, air - unless the tyres were obviously flat - until they seized up. However, Derbi also had a bit of small-engined racing heritage back in my youth and they made some mopeds that looked (but didn't perform) like sports bikes. Which type has caught your eye? As a Spanish make, you might find that spares and/or replacement parts are available.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks for useful info. Bassleft am looking at Derbi frs tomorrow and expect to buy, I need to put in house when not on Spain so options limited by door.
I was told today that the seller needs to arrange owner transfer, is this correct? It would make it very simple for me if this the case

Many thanks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 pm

It's certainly in the seller's interest to arrange owner transfer.
If ownership not transferred then any fines for speeding, parking or whatever, will come to him and not the new owner/ offender.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:51 am

Wollie, I don't know if mopeds follow the same procedure as ####xxx registered vehicles, but it is best to assume that they do (my 2nd link suggests that mopeds have a cheaper transfer tax but otherwise the procedure is the same). The seller might arrange transfer, but you are likely to pay the costs. A gestor (presumably one that the seller has chosen, although you will be paying) will probably be involved, although this is not completely necessary. The gestor will want to see ID (passport and a NIE, if you have one, would also be helpful) and proof of Spanish residential address (a utility bill is not good enough; escritura, rental agreement, mortgage documents or similar). The gestor will be able to photocopy them and give originals straight back to you, certifying that (s)he has seen the originals.

Without a gestor (I haven't tried this, but it is possible) might require you and the seller sitting in a queue with original documents for quite a while. The downside is that a gestor's services are the same whether it's a luxury car or a beaten up old moto so approx €150 will be a big % to add to the cost of a Derbi. Remember that a gestor, like many paperwork expediters, is not specifically working in your interests; just saving people time, and this is more true if the seller's recommendation is used (but I have rarely heard of gestors actively 'doing people over' and even that has been in the case of disreputable dealers rather than a private sale).

Reading these might be useful:
viewtopic.php?t=22792
https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog/ex ... spain.html

Is it a Derbi FDS50 you're looking at? I became less involved in motorcycles by the 1990s so I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of a trail-styled 50 for the campo. If it uses the same engine as the DS50 scooter I read they can be 'souped up' for better (45mph) performance. Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I flew back to the UK on the day of your latest post.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 am

I got my toy and will attach pic as Bassleft asked for this earlier, its slightly smaller than i was looking but it be fine.
It has being owned by same guy since 1987 and is original.
Bassleft thanks for the link which will be useful when i get round to this on next trip.
Attachments
IMG-20190807-WA0000.jpg

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 am

That looks in excellent condition, especially for 32 years old. I hope the transfer goes smoothly (it occurred to me that young people, very young, can own a moped; do they need to have parent/guardian address documents or are mopeds slightly more relaxed, I wonder) and I hope you have a lot of fun in the campo with it.

ps, I had a look for the FDS50 on MilAnuncios after my last post. There are still spares available on things that can get bent, like forks and wheels, so even a bit of a tumble shouldn't be a disaster.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 am

Because i am an older model i be more worried about getting replacement parts for me.

The guy i bought it from Luiz, his father Luiz and his son Luiz so that all makes sense, the son said 15/16 years but i campo you can do as you please.
I have the original document from 1987, however this need be updated by seller and he will do this and post to me. What i have the actual ownership document but it was never registered for road. It is either this or that the whole document system changed as i not ask.
He a good guy so i expect all be ok.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:12 am

I want to ask another question.
Because this bike will have to be outdoors when i am there as too much bother bringing in and out.
Can anyone advise as to what to buy to protect from the sun.
I did see online there are covers available.
I need to know where i can buy something of pretty good quality.
I am happy to buy online or in a store but i do not know what i am looking for.

Many thanks....

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:27 am

I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:10 am

I would advise that you buy one where the lock passes through the cover, and is thick, durable nylon. I have bought three car half-covers (roof and windows). One - within a week - was considered such a good idea that somebody took it. The next two (I passed the fastenings through locked doors) both faded within a week of the August sun, then started to rip with the wind and became shabby wrecks within the month.

Although some of those in Peter's link were more than I paid, I would suggest that the better ones are worth it as you don't want to come back to shredded fabric fluttering in the breeze. Also, if you are leaving a very portable moped outside, make sure that you have a good strong lock that wraps around major structural parts and a VERY fixed post.

My friend's Ducati (admittedly, worth more effort than the Derbi) had a high-security metal coil through a concrete post and it was taken in the night as he slept.
EDIT: I mis-read; I thought you wrote outside when I'm NOT there. Apologies, but still get a durable cover as the sun turns cheap ones to shreds very quickly

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:27 am

If you happen to know the brand name and where i can buy it be great, i am not really bothered about the price as i want a reasonably good one...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 am

I just looked at Peter's Amazon.es link (above). There did seem to be several that had lock holes and good, thick nylon around €17. They should do the job well.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:35 pm

I now need to buy helmet.
I seen some leather or (imitation) online.
Does anyone know if these are ok?
Just may be more comfortable in hot weather...