Spanish keyboard v Uk keyboard

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
voyseygw
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish keyboard v Uk keyboard

Postby voyseygw » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi,
Is there a big difference with getting a Spanish laptop with a Spanish keyboard and a UK laptop with UK keyboard. Can you load uk keyboard in windows and it work with a Spanish keyboard?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish keyboard v Uk keyboard

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm

You can set up Windows for either keyboard but if it is Spanish and goes into English mode then some of the keys are in different places (and vice versa). If you are a good touch typist that knows the UK one well maybe that is OK, but for some reason mine sometimes goes into English keyboard mode by itself and I am lost. As my Windows program is set up for English language I can't seem to delete the option of having the keyboard in UK mode which I don't want. So I have Spanish computer and laptop with English language Windows loaded but Spanish keyboards.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:35 pm

You can load both Spanish & English (UK) keyboards in Windows, and switch between them easily, but as Wicksey says, if you have a Spanish keyboard and have Windows set to recognise the UK layout, you're going to have difficulty with some keys.
The differences are very few though really, the main ones being the extra Ñ key on the Spanish, and the position of some of the symbols, like @ for example, and a € but no £ (which you can easily get by holding the Alt key while typing 0163).
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:28 pm

I have an option on mine, on the bottom right of the screen next to the time/date there is ENG/ES or ENG/UK or ENG or ES click on that and there are options. Personally I have mine on ENG/ES which is English language preference and Spanish keyboard because I do use Spanish symbols and ñç etc. But you can opt for ENG/UK.
Was that comprehensible?

Hope so.

Cheers

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:14 pm

That’s not the problem. The problem is that if you set up Windows to expect a UK keyboard it has the keys in the wrong place. Nothing will solve that apart from sticking little labels on the different keys.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:26 am

I think the question mark and dashes are in different places too. I know when it goes over to English mode by itself I cannot write a sentence without switching back tot Spanish keyboard mode. Most countries seem to have their own version of the qwerty keyboard, I know the French and German ones have a slightly different layouts too.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am

I use Spanish keyboards on all of my devices. I can do everything I need to when writing in English with a Spanish keyboard but the same cannot be said of working the other way around. (No ñ ¿ or ¡ etc on a UK keyboard.)

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 pm

You're right, Wicksey; all countries have variations (US is mildly different and French isn't even qwerty but azerty). As Beach says, I'd rather have Spanish but I can get Lenovos dirt cheap in Blighty so I have to wish everyone a Happy New Bottomhole in late December, which causes its own problems.