Long term rental laws

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Long term rental laws

Postby jaycecampo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 pm

My daughter has been renting for 5 years, contract was renewed every year. I believe unless otherwise stated rent rises are at the cost of living index. Her rent of 580 a month was never increased by her landlord. She is about to sign a contract for a further year, however her landlord has informed her because he has made some improvements to the property, new floors in some rooms and a new kitchen he is increasing the rent to 1,000 Can he do this. She lived through the renovations, never complained about the mess etc. I understand the tenant is protected for the first 5 years, then it's 3. New law. I know in some cases the rent after renovations can only be increased by 20%. But as her protected status has come to an end I don't know if this applies. Any legal eagles out there ??

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Long term rental laws

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:19 am

I doubt anyone on here really knows the answer apart from maybe Beachcomber as the law has changed recently but one thing I do know it protects tenants more than landlords. Difficult to get a sitting tenant out under the new law.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 am

She comes under the old 2013 law (the new 5 year right to rent only came in this year for contracts signed from december 18 onwards) where she has the right to stay in the property for three years and then its silently renewed every year. When she first signed the contract the landlord could only put the rent up if it was actually written into the contract and yes as you its a %. But that only covers the first three years of the contract. After three years the landlord can put it up what they want. But he has to give her a months notice

If you have a look on citizens advice bureau spain website. Search rental law in google it gives you all the laws

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 am

costakid wrote:I doubt anyone on here really knows the answer apart from maybe Beachcomber...
I have no idea. I would rather be 'dead in a ditch' than rent my apartment to a long-term tenant.

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks everyone. She's not being a difficult tenant the Landlord is happy renting to her and he does not want the property for his own use until he retires in the future. It's just the rent rise from 580 to 1,000 is a lot, she expected a rise but more in the region of up to 800. Think she will just have to go along with the increase and at least it's made her think it's time to buy her own home now.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:08 am

Beachcomber wrote:
costakid wrote:I doubt anyone on here really knows the answer apart from maybe Beachcomber...
I have no idea. I would rather be 'dead in a ditch' than rent my apartment to a long-term tenant.

Boris?!! :shock: :lol: you'd rent it to me though :D

Jacye. Not sure where you are but rents in most parts have gone through the roof compaired to five years ago. We came then and rent and availabilty is totally different. We are paying a huge amount more compaired to when we came. Mind you we were underpaying for what we had then, so got hit with a double whammy when we had to move The market is been killed by holiday and winter lets. No supply but large demand. So in one sense i cant blame landlords especially how the market is compaired to 5 years ago. The new laws help tennants but put owners off renting. Thats if the owners follow the law to begin with!

She should have a look around and compair prices and if you have a good landlord thats half the battle so better the devil you know.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Disregarding the difference in the old rental price and the proposed new rental price I would say that €1000.00 is a lot to pay for any rental property unless it's huge and fully furnished !!

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Manchesteral, No it's not huge, three bed town house, unfurnished...but looking around 1,000 seems to be fair. The cheapest apartment is around 700. This is Mijas Coasta, Costa del Sol. The prices have shot through the roof in the last year or so.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:28 am

Yeah its not alot to pay anymore. Market has totally changed on the last five years. I do know that some villas that are over priced at say 1,400 upwards are sitting on the market along time. problem is you dont mind paying of its top quality but the majority are full of old appliances,need redecorating etc etc.gready landlords who want to take take take but not put anything back into the properties.totally different to the picky picky agents in the U.K

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Manchesteral wrote: I would say that €1000.00 is a lot to pay for any rental property unless it's huge and fully furnished !!
unfortunatly that seems to be the "normal" price in malaga west. especially within 30 minutes of the coast.

check :

the cheapest 3 bed in :

idealista
Málaga provincia 6.749
Costa del Sol Occidental-Área de Benalmádena-Costa 1.683
Mijas 92 con tus criterios de 324 en mijas

is 850€ ...

upto nearly € 12,000 a month !!!

there are 3 that are silly money, the "average" top end price is €4000 ! theres a whole page of 2600-4000 euro a month houses !!

and i cry when i give 500 a month for our chalet... :oops:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.