Is there a simple answer for uk tv?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Is there a simple answer for uk tv?

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Loads of stuff around on getting uk tv, sadly getting very technical very quickly! Can anyone cut through the fog? I read about loading with Kodi, using Firestick and so on and it soon begins to be double-ukranian to my ageing brain.
If I bought an LG 55UM7610PLB what would I need to get roughly the equivalent of Freeview in the UK? Do I tell it it is in the UK on initial setup, or does this stop me being able to fool the IP address somehow? Do I have to install a VPN or DNS - who are good suppliers, and is it best to put this on the tv so browsing the web on laptop/iPad it still knows my location for directions and/or appropriate results? MAG 250 or Android box?
We have an awful tv service at present through Avatel, where channels disappear and reappear all the time (at the moment we have no ITV1/2/3, no Channel4, so must use UTV to get Cashtrapped!) and the path to the satellite they use must go west, right through where storm clouds gather so any poor weather makes reception terrible/nonexistent so an IPTV solution seems the only answer.
There is no fibre service here but we have a reasonably reliable 7Mbps wifi.
SWMBO will approve the tv purchase, but on condition that we can get channels to watch - help very much appreciated!
Last edited by peteroldracer on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is there a simple answer for uk tv?

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Dont bother with Kodi via firestick, it is dated now. I need to change from Kodi so interested to see what people suggest.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Recently started using tvmucho. So far well pleased with it both in terms of stream stability and app functionality. Eg everything is recorded so you can scroll back through the epg and watch programs up to 7 days old. There's also a huge library of other on demand programs

I went for the basic uk channel, 2 screen option, which includes HD. Payng 12 months up front it ws 45 euros or thereabouts, can't recall exactly. No need for vpn or dns redirection. Absolute bargain
Regards

Bob

Johnandali
Tourist

Postby Johnandali » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 pm

I use a 4K Firestick and UK ExPat VPN...this can be installed on the Firestick and will allow access to BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc for other TV use Unlock my TV and Live net tv installed on Firestick works perfectly on my wireless internet connection....no fibre here !!!!

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:24 am

peteroldracer wrote: If I bought an LG 55UM7610PLB what would I need to get roughly the equivalent of Freeview in the UK?
Freeview - UK TV via a TV aerial, not available in Spain.
A TV aerial in Spain pick up only SPanish digital channels.
To get almost the same, you need to go via a satellite dish aligned to the Astra 2satellites
peteroldracer wrote:Do I tell it it is in the UK on initial setup, or does this stop me being able to fool the IP address somehow?
If you want to use the various UK based apps, then usually yes.
peteroldracer wrote:Do I have to install a VPN or DNS
- If you want to use the UK based apps, then yes
peteroldracer wrote:- who are good suppliers,
Smrtdnyproxy, smartydns, express vpn....many more all are pretty much as good as each other
peteroldracer wrote: and is it best to put this on the tv so browsing the web on laptop/iPad it still knows my location for directions and/or appropriate results?

Most devices allow you to put smart dns directly onto that device.
Not all allow you to use a VPN on them, so in which case you will need to run it at router level.
peteroldracer wrote:and the path to the satellite they use must go west, right through where storm clouds gather so any poor weather makes reception terrible/nonexistent so an IPTV solution seems the only answer.
All satellite signals can be affected by heavy rain and bad weather...not much that can be done about it really.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 pm

TV Mucho is a subscription based service and works in a similar way to Freeview with a 7 day catch up service which can be accessed through the TV guide. It can be installed on the Firestick a watched without a VPN or DNS.

To add to Johnandali's solution, it's also possible to watch TV player for live TV, which is a similar Freeview type service without the catch up but requires a VPN. All the Catch up stuff can be seen view the TV channels own apps

BTW, It's a good week to buy Amazon stuff as most of it is really cheap.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:25 pm

I thought Astra was receivable in Murcia with a large dish. Is this not so?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Nowhere to put a big dish!
It is looking like tvmucho may be the answer.....thanks chaps

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Had a quick look at TV Mucho.
Looks good and easy to use. Can use it for 60 mins a day free so worth giving it a test.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Doesn't have the huge number of channels that some people offer, but it has all thst i need. None of the +1s, but then it dawned on me that since everything is recorded they are not needed. Simply scroll back through the epg and watch it.

Unlike tvplayer and freeview theres no need to have iplayer etc installed as well as tvmucho is independent of them.

Sure i read somewhere on their website that you can rewind live TV. Can't figure out how, nor can i find the page on the website that i thought said this. Not really a problem, but would be a nice feature.

All in all i am well satisfied with it so far.

Usual disclaimers apply.....
Regards

Bob

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm

HoolaTV. You can record up to 11GB,but no catchup.Simple to use & 2 choices of subscribing.7 day free trial.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Currently we have no channel4 coming from Avatel, but perfect 4HD on my laptop with tvmucho. I am unclear if it is possible to download the app to a smart tv, or if I have to use my iPad and Appletv to send it to a tv - or connect the laptop with hdmi lead, either of which I would like to avoid. Back in the early days of i906 we had to do this and snags were having to keep the pad/laptop on charge, cables snaking around, and the computers going in to sleep mode!
Last edited by peteroldracer on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Peter, can I assume that the TV source you use at present is I907? If you are getting reception problems a dish upgrade may be all you need. I use an 80cm dish and that fails only in really bad weather. I was advised that upping it to 100cm would make a big difference at reasonable cost (I haven't felt the need to change it yet) and the picture quality is better than any streamed HD system that I have seen. Your new TV, I assume, is probably bigger than your old one and will be 4K UHD and that also improves the picture, so long as it is a good source such as I907.

Have you considered that the LNB may be on its way out? Replacements are fairly cheap.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:19 pm

We have no dish - it would need to be a hefty size so ugly, and we have nowhere to put it, having a townhouse now rather than our villa in Comares. We use what I assume is a re-broadcast service from Avatel with a Wimax mini-dish (same for internet pointing at a different transmitter). I don't know which satellite it works off, but going by the level of breakup with a low level of rain clouds (as seen on storm radar sites) it must be due west from here - the clouds always seem to gather in stripes in the middle of the Med.
The thing that is most frustrating is that some channels will just go off - at the moment we have no ITV1, ITV2, ITV4 (but perfect ITV3!) no ITVBe, no Channel4 but can get ITV progammes using UTV.....tomorrow or later this may change but who knows?!
All the channels show the yellow and green bars as say L87 & Q80, so it is not the Wimax connection but the feed into their network that is wrong. They keep saying they know there is a problem and the technicians are working on it but it has been like this for months. Since we came here March 2017 they also have promised 50MB fibre coverage "soon"....lol.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:42 pm

OK, I assumed wrong as you mentioned a dish and I906.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi peteroldracer.
"We use what I assume is a re-broadcast service from Avatel with a Wimax mini-dish (same for internet pointing at a different transmitter). I don't know which satellite it works off"..........it doesn't...........wimax will be getting its signal from an Antenna in line of sight from a distant/near location.
Based on this if you're going down the TV over internet you'll have the same breakup when the weather is bad.

This is my reading of your current setup and looking at the Avatel site. I have Wimax and when the weather is bad as recently ,then the signal is often broken.

With your current equipment I would give the following a try.....Install a Trial of SmartyDNS on the laptop connect laptop to TV (via HDMI cable)and see how things go using for example BBC iplayer
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Enrique wrote:.....wimax will be getting its signal from an Antenna in line of sight from a distant/near location.
Based on this if you're going down the TV over internet you'll have the same breakup when the weather is bad.
This is my reading of your current setup and looking at the Avatel site. I have Wimax and when the weather is bad as recently ,then the signal is often broken.
This is the bit that frustrates me with the current supplier: the Wimax reception is invariably good, so signal from the local transmitter is not the problem. What is wrong is that the programmes - that must be coming to them from a satellite - are broken or missing, or pixilating in bad weather. I can understand the last of these as satellites will always be vulnerable to weather, but they are sending GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Itv1 has just come back on for example, but Channel4 is still missing.
The present system does give me some Spanish channels, which I like, but if tvmucho an give us the 37 UK channels offered and do it reliably I can always get a TDT aerial put up to get these.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 pm

There are a few decent options for UK tv over ip. Most offer an eval so try them and and go with whatever gives you your most satisfactory solution.

For me Hoola didn't work. Probably a pecularity of my android box and it wouldn't go full screen video. Also tjey were missing a couple of channels that we watch.

12 months ago i looked at tvmucho and to be honest i really couldn't fathom their app. Now they have a much better one which i am very happy with. In between times i uses transponder.tv. No issues with the actual streams, but only a web interface, which again had issues on my box, but i found workarounds. They still havent produced an app, and their new web interface brought some new issues which to be brutal i couldn't be bothered to find workarounds again.

As i said, try evals, do they have the channels you want, is it easy to use then go for it. Things change quite rapidly in this business, what is best for yountoday my not be in 12 months. Fortunately most of these suppliers are easy to cancel so you can move onto the latest and greatest..
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:01 pm

There are many work arounds to get every channel free but often require patience when things aren't working properly.
This is why previously Now TV and now the Fire Stick are the best options. Updates are automatic, the hardware prices are good plus the Firestick can be used with all the dodgy channels, which work one week then are off the following, You wouldn't expect anything else from a gadget whose whole existence is to be used as a Smart TV gadget.
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:09 pm

Yes, the Firestick is brilliant and it’s 4K should you wish to use Netflix.with your new TVthe picture is amazing. Its also €20 off at the moment.

https://www.amazon.es/amazon-amazon-fir ... NrPXRydWU=

Sid