itv Hub - Won't update or open

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

itv Hub - Won't update or open

Postby sampedrena » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:04 pm

I tried to open the ITV hub app on my Samsung tablet today - and it said that I had to Update it but when I tried to do it (using the Smarty App) it would not update and said that it would not work on my device - which is only 1 year old. It then wouldn't let me do anything without doing the Update.

I contacted ITV support and they told me some things to try - one of which was Uninstall and reinstall the App. When I Uninstalled and searched on Google Play - I could not find the itv Hub App listed.

I wrote back to them & explained what had happened and they are now asking if I am using a VPN and where I am located! I am reluctant to tell them!

Does anyone know where I might be able to get the App and download it - and then use it without Updating?

It seems that perhaps they can tell that I am not in UK. Has anyone else had a similar problem - or is it just Smarty that it can see?

Help please! Many thanks in advance.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: itv Hub - Won't update or open

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi sampedrena,
Clear Cached data...........reboot system

I have just downloaded itv Hub from Playstore............on a straight Android system.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:33 pm

It is in the playstore. Watching it on television, available on my IPad. No problems.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi sampedrena,
Clear Cached data...........reboot system

I have just downloaded itv Hub from Playstore............on a straight Android system.
Without using a VPN?
I So Bella tis you

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi PaulinMalaga,
"Without using a VPN?"............yes............I'll check my network settings as have set other "things" the other day.... :oops:

Added:: No as expected standard Network setup.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Still no joy for me, I'm afraid. I've cleared the Cache in the Google Play store (hope that was the App where I was meant to delete it) and did a Re-Start (hope that is the same as a re-boot.)
I have tried with no vpn or anything - and I can't find itv Hub in the Play store at all. And I've tried putting on the Smarty VPN and then I can't even get Play Store to open at all! Never had this problem before - it's totally new.
No idea what is going wrong for me - hope someone can help!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:48 pm

There are alternative app stores you can try. I have in the past installed apps from aptoide and not had any problems. In fact just this week i used aptoide to install tvmucho onto my new tv.

FWIW just checked playstore on my tablet and itvhub is there. Do have smartdnsproxy configured on my router. No VPN active.
Regards

Bob

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi sampedrena,

Is any other App/program not working........... :?:

Power done the Tablet and the Router.........go make yourself a brew..........

Power up the Router..........give it time to come fully up............ power up the tablet

With no VPN or Smart DNS running............you should see the Playstore

Let us know what happens............ :idea:

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Very strange. Without any VPN set ITV Hub definitely not available in my Playstore

However see my task bar at top right and see that when I activate Browsec (U.K) and refresh browser ITV Hub and other U.K Specific TV Apps become available.

Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I So Bella tis you

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Where is your google account registered, Spain or UK?

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 am

An update - now I have given all suggestions a try!
Without VPN / DNS I still can't see itv Hub in the Google Playstore - even after re-booting router & tablet. BBC iplayer, Sounds & C4 continue to work fine with Smarty.
I have tried to give Browsec a go - but, after logging in, I have been unable to change location to UK. When I click to change to the Free VPN for UK - it offers me a week's trial of their Premium version and when I say I don't want that - just the free one, it just takes me back to where I was. Going round and round in circles!
My Google Play account was set up and registered in the UK - and I haven't had this problem previously. Also I can see iPlayer, C4 apps listed - just not ITV hub.
Many thanks for the suggestions - any others would be very welcome.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi sampedrena,

Have a read.............

https://www.ipaddressguide.org/cant-dow ... lay-store/

N.B.
I'm now thinking itv is blocking your smartDNS/VPN............

power up your tablet..........no VPN or SmartDNS running..........

In a Browser type......... whatsmyip...............it will probably start with 5.........OR another Spanish IP range
CLOSE Browser
Fire up your VPN only.............Connect to UK server
In a Browser type ........whatsmyip.............it should now show UK IP and tell you where the server is located.

If you still can't see iTVHUB in Playstore your VPN is getting Blocked.

IF you're using the SmartyDNS VPN try connecting to the London 2 TCP server, I've just used this one and it's working OK.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I had this issue recently with the 02online app - my google play was set to UK, and i could see the app but not download it. I had to change the country to download it.

Not quite the same thing, but it seems like the same sort of reason - it looks like its being blocked - and they knew that you were using a vpn because you technically shouldnt have access to the app. I guess thats the only way a (uk address) google play would not show the app avaliable for download?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I did have a problem at one time and this may not help your situation, but I downloaded the ITV Hub apk file from here and then installed it from a memory stick http://www.uktvapps.com/get-bbc-media-p ... outside-uk . It may still ask you to update though.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - I now have itv Hub installed and working!
Smartydns suggested that I try downloading the App from Aptoide (as also suggested on here) and this worked absolutely fine. Now that it's installed the App works perfectly when using Smartydns - so it seems that it's Google Play and which is actually blocking me from downloading stuff. So far there is no suggestion that I should Update itv Hub - but I won't be trying to do that - just in case!

Enrique: I usually do use London 2 (and I notice there is now a London 3 - but I haven't tried that yet)
When I check on WhatsmyIP with the VPN switched on, it tells me that I am in Slough!

Thanks again to everyone

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:41 am

Sampedrena you are right not to update as it will simply take you to Google playstore and you're back to square one. However, there might come a point where it won't work if you don't update. I had a problem with Google Playstore as Google knows where you are irrespective of vpn. Easy to get around it though. I just set up another google account with the vpn on and used a UK address then didn't use it for anything else. Worked fine.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:46 am

Dont use aptoide much these days, other than to intstall tvmucho onto my tv which doesnt have googleplay support. But i had a particularly dodgy android box that just wouldn't work with playstore so had to use aptoide for all apps on it. Pretty sure that it provides updates for installed apps as well.
Regards

Bob

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 pm

and if not you can just delete the app, then go to aptoide to install the latest version.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.