ITV Documents

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV Documents

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm

As I said in a previous post, it is best to start looking every day from about two months in advance of the test. You can now get the test done up to a month prior to the expiry date without losing any days so you have plenty of choice.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Up here there are appointments available up to the end of April
Forgot to mention: checking this morning, first appointment offered is 17.00 - today!
Last edited by peteroldracer on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 am

Out of interest just had another look a booking an appointment at my local centre.
First available was 3rd March but there were appointments available every day that week.
It appears to me that they release dates for a week and when all appointments are taken for that week, they then release dates for the following week.
So it seems as if you need to start looking about 6 weeks before you want an appointment.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am

Mine due up at end of January, garage couldnt get me an appointment last week so suggested I go there for 7am and wait to see if I get a number. Tried online for last two days to get any appointment but the syystem is not accepting my date of matricukation which i know is correct. I think they have shut their site for a while. Does anyone know if I can drive after ITV run out if I have an appointment or does this cancel the insurance? Thanks
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:33 am

You can only drive to the appointment and then back if a retest is needed. The car must be off the road until it has a valid itv.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 am

My garage usually does mine but did the service and said they had 70 cars waiting for ITV so better for me to try online...no luck even getting into the system to book

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:00 pm

metalmonkey wrote:... Does anyone know if I can drive after ITV run out if I have an appointment...
The letter of the law states that if the vehicle does not have a current ITV you are not allowed to drive it. There is no stated exception to allow it to be driven to the test centre as there is in the UK. In Spain it must be taken to the test centre on a breakdown lorry then, if it fails, it will need to be taken back on the breakdown vehicle.

However, if you decide to risk it and you are stopped by the Guardia Civil or police but you can show that you are en route to an appointment they may well not fine you especially given the current dire state of the ITV appointments system but be aware that this is solely at the discretion of the individual officer.

I went to the ITV centre in Mijas yesterday with an appointment. It was busier than I have ever seen it and I thought I was in for a long wait but it transpired that most of the people in the reception room were there with no appointment on the off-chance that a slot would become available. I had a very short wait at reception and all was done and dusted within the time of the appointment but I only saw two testers.

In Ibiza and Mallorca the problem is even worse:

https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuses-b ... 42479.html

https://www.ultimahora.es/noticias/loca ... meses.html

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:03 pm

Can´t even get on the itv cita site to try to get any appointment, wont accept my matriculation date (deff correct) so can´t go any further arghhhh

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Try using the "No Bastidor" option rather than the "Fecha Matriculation" option.
Works every time for me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm

No tried it same thing I think they are not letting people into the system as they are overloaded...will try really early morning

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Now the next page flashes up for a split second and then reverts to the sign in page

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 pm

I tried it before posting my reply to you at 4:31.
I had no problem signing on and getting an appointment.
Just tried it again and still no problem signing on and getting an appointment.
Are you getting a "Debe seleccionar una opción." error message on the sign on page after you tried signing on?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 pm

I have no trouble getting in either though I haven't actually made an appointment because I don't need one until April. Can you try another browser or device.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 am

ITV Mijas has just opened up another week until 21st March. Plenty of appointments available at the moment. I have booked in early for my April expiry date just to make sure!

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm

The garage I usually take my car to for the pre ITV check and then they take it through the ITV are having big problems getting appointments.
I am taking the car to the garage tomorrow and leaving it there until they can get it through.

I would think that, if the car doesn't have a current ITV then the insurance is void if I have an accident....so no car for a while :(

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 pm

I am with Linear Directa and I once asked about cover with no ITV. They said that the cover was not affected as the ITV test does not prove it is roadworthy. The existence of an ITV certificate doesn’t stop the brakes failing 5 minutes after you leave the test station. The question of whether it was roadworthy at the time of the accident would be determined by their engineers, not by a piece of worthless paper.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 am

They have told me the same in the past but it would appear to depend on the insurance company rather than the law.

Most will only cover third party claims. It is a bit of a grey area but this seems to cover it adequately:

https://expertotrafico.com/me-cubre-el- ... -accidente

Given that most insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying a claim I wouldn't risk it, even with Linea Directa as my insurer.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Both our cars are registered in Sevilla province, which is where our house is located, and so guess that is why we are primarily offered ITV venues local to us. We book our cita as soon as they come online for our expiry date, which is usually six weeks in advance......

This time we were offered an appointment in Moron de la Frontera, but changed the option to the equidistant Osuna, purely on 'shopping' grounds, since we think that Osuna is a much nicer town to wander around afterwards. We went this morning for our 10:02 appointment, and the centre was so crowded that we could hardly get into the car park. All four lines were operating as against a maximum of two lines in years gone by, but we were still seen almost on time, and were out with a 'one year' pass, before 10:45. I chatted to the guy in the car parked next to us, who told us that he had driven up from Malaga province in the hope that he might get a 'spare' appointment. Apparently his ITV expires next week, and he could not get an appointment 'anywhere in Malaga' until March. He had been there from 07:30, but had no sign of an appointment, and was thinking of going home in frustration. The whole place was very busy, with everyone philosophically chuntering their complaints.......

Just a bit of local experience.....

Vinnie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:03 pm

I went to Mijas ITV again today. It was the same as last time. No space in the car park and standing room only in the reception room but I was in and out again well within the appointed time.

The appointments for week-ending 21st March have now virtually gone and ones for week-ending 28th March are disappearing rapidly.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:19 pm

It all seems a shambles I must say. Our garage man has a note to book my car in as soon as the late April ones become available. It's driving him a bit potty trying to arrange ITVs. To my knowledge they haven't created any new ITV stations and there seems to be only Algarrobo near to us, or the next ones are EL Palo Malaga or Motril. There are so many more cars on the road these days it seems that this situation cannot continue forever.