TIE card

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

TIE card

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 pm

Received this from the Spanish CAB:

The Spanish government advises that “All British nationals and their family members will be well advised to have a TIE format document, as they may benefit from a TIE format document that explicitly states that they are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement”. That “the TIE may be requested during the transitional period, although a planning of the applications may be established in order to avoid all of them being submitted at the same time”.

Sounds like they will do it, perhaps, region by region so it would be interesting to hear when someone on here knows more info. Personally I am looking forward to having a proper photo ID card again.

1bassleft
Resident

Re: TIE card

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Interesting, Wicksey. After December, I decided that >6months here is more likely than >6months 'there' and have residencia (done last week). The DGT website was (and I presume still is) adamant that a simple switch of my driver's licence will not be possible if an application is made after 31/1 (tried and failed online). Yet the British Consulate has just announced that the WA means that licences are unaffected through 2020. A companera of my Spanish class rushed (and failed) to swap hers because police - quoting her - were stopping traffic in Pueblo and telling UK licence holders they only have days.

It seems, whatever the official protocols are, that everyone's playing it by ear.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:31 pm

The CAB's advice on the driving licence is:
Residents who are in possession of a UK driving licence can change these for a Spanish permit up till the end of the transition period. Those who have been resident for two years should exchange the permits as soon as possible.

although I do not understand the last part about the 2 years. I think there was some kind of other instruction relating to this but I cannot find anything about it. I did rush to do mine before we Brexited and it's now being processed. My OH's is at last "in the post" after 7 months! As usual, I'm sure there'll be all sorts of different approaches by the authorities depending on who you ask :think:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:10 pm

On CAB. before the bit you have posted wicksey is they are now saying changing to a TIE wont be mandatory if you have your green residency card

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:14 pm

1bassleft wrote:Interesting, Wicksey. After December, I decided that >6months here is more likely than >6months 'there' and have residencia (done last week). The DGT website was (and I presume still is) adamant that a simple switch of my driver's licence will not be possible if an application is made after 31/1 (tried and failed online). Yet the British Consulate has just announced that the WA means that licences are unaffected through 2020. A companera of my Spanish class rushed (and failed) to swap hers because police - quoting her - were stopping traffic in Pueblo and telling UK licence holders they only have days.

It seems, whatever the official protocols are, that everyone's playing it by ear.

From what peope are saying on CAB is that the 31st rule was based on a no deal senario and it hasnt been updated to represent where we are now. Makes me laugh seeing them all asking questions. Yeah im sure a few have just arrived but how many years have some of them been here. Now they are all rushing around like headless chickens

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:01 pm

True. I think most of my companeros are newish to residency or non-res heading back for long periods at a time but I've been a bit stunned by some neighbours. One chum, bilingual, no UK address other than offspring's, only changed his recently. Why? UK doesn't even require IDPs for any state's full licence.

I'm taking the view of plodding through everything and not getting panicked. Unfortunate timing in my case but I don't want to get swept up in the madness. That said, I've read of Wicksy's licence tribulations for months now and I might need all the space that the WA affords me.

Back to the OP though (sorry for hijacking), does the TIE confer anything apart from a matching mugshot, though? Or is it perhaps suggested as a bit of insurance against "this old document is no good now you have left" misunderstandings? I can sympathize with Settled Status people in the UK wanting something in their hands; there's a lot of fret about.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:18 am

The CAB newsletter was sent last Thursday 30 Jan and there is an additional bit about the card:
United kingdom nationals (UKNS) and their non-EU family members who are legally residing in Spain before the end of the transition period of December 31, 2020 should maintain the right to reside and work in Spain.

The green registration certificates and family members photo cards, will serve as proof of residency.

Please note that children must also be in possession of a registration certificate

As drafted into “Citizens Rights” in the Withdrawal Agreement, the Spanish government have the right to ask resident UK nationals to update their residency status”.

It appears that the Spanish government will not insist on a change of residency documents for those holding the green certificates and card size registration documents. They are encouraging the updating for TIE ( Foreigners Card) which will be provided evidencing that they have been issued under the Withdrawal Agreement.

I personally would prefer a proper photo ID card (like we used to have before the green card) so I am happy to change to that. It seems that the government does want people to update their residency status, so I am reading that it would be best to get the TIE card.
1bassleft wrote: I've read of Wicksy's licence tribulations for months now and I might need all the space that the WA affords me.
:lol: I know it's my own fault for leaving it so long, for one reason or another. It was a bit of a panic in the end but it seems they are almost here now!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 am

Con la salida del Reino Unido de la Unión Europea, los permisos de conducir británicos dejarán de ser válidos para conducir en España a partir del 31 de diciembre de 2020.
En caso de ser residente en nuestro país, tienes únicamente hasta dicha fecha para realizar el canje, renovación o sustitución de tu permiso por uno español.

I hadn't looked in a while; figuring I'll let the dust settle (and I have 1949 and 1968 IDPs in my pocket) but the DGT site now says (overdubbing Cpl Jones must've been a nightmare for TVE), "Don't Panic!"