Permanent residence

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Permanent residence

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:35 pm

We've done as much as we can to ensure we remain in Spain for the rest of our lives, with the last hurdle accomplished a week ago, exchanging our green credit card sized tarjetas for the version that states we are 'permanente'. We originally registered on the register of foreigners over 6 years ago, at the police station. We did our driving licenses a few years ago, have padron etc etc.

We are more than happy with the health care in Spain - we have a great village doctor, we've both had operations in the hospital at Torre del Mar and - touch wood - haven't needed to see a doctor on our rare visits back to the UK since we became residents in Spain. But I do have a question.....

I can't seem to find out what happens with pensioners who return to the UK on short visits and might get taken ill. This law https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... o-nhs-care states " UK state pensioners who live elsewhere in the EEA will now have the same rights to NHS care as people who live in England. This applies to all pensioners who receive a UK state retirement pension and registered for healthcare in Europe with an S1 form." I take this to mean we could see a doctor, got to A & E or even have hospital treatment when visiting the UK, even though we reside elsewhere.

I know nothing changes this year but in 2021 and onwards? Does anyone know?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Permanent residence

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 pm

I presume it stays the same. If you have an S1 you can produce that at a drs in the U.K and get treated as a uk resident.

How did you find the process for changing irene. Did they ask for anythig different or was it straight forward

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:39 pm

While in the UK last year I was admitted to hospital as an emergency and had excellent treatment, at the time I didn't have a copy a my S1 so one hospital just checked with Newcastle. I also signed on with a local doctor without any problem, since I have obtained a copy of my S1.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 pm

We bought a static caravan in the UK last year and had no problem registering with a practice local to the leisure park. They took a copy of my prescription list and dispensed everything I needed, although I had got an extra supply of my insulin to take in case there was a problem. The bonus was that of course everything was free.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks for your replies, elusive, brimsham and Peter, we do still have copies of our S1 forms so will be sure to take them back to the UK with us in future.

Elusive, I was hoping just the EX18 forms, the bank payment forms and copies of our passports (plus of course our little green tarjetas) would be enough to get the cards with 'permanente' status but I had to produce the same documents we showed first time around. Luckily, I made sure I had everything, so it wasn't too much of a problem, apart from some difficulties with the language as - even after all this time - I'm still far from fluent. The official did ask for 'renta' which I didn't understand but it clicked that she wanted tax info. After telling her our income was too low to pay tax, she didn't pursue it. We have only submitted the tax forms once - our gestor checks with us each year that our situation remains the same and we're not liable to pay tax.

Just like first time around, we were treated kindly and sympathetically. Our updated nota simple on our property was accepted as proof we wouldn't be a burden on Spain and also our copies of S1 forms to show we have health cover. Must admit I was my usual anxious self and after jabbering away was told 'Tranquilo, tranquilo' with a smile.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks irene. Seems they are making up their own rules then interms of asking you to show everything as if you were applying for residencia for the first time. I havnt updated mine as tbh i thought why bother going through two lots of hassle ie changing to permanant then to a TIE. Even more so now when it seems to change to s TIE wont be mandatory. and as you say it seems torre are expecting you to produce everything from scratch.We wont be here longterm aswell. Thanks for the update

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:24 pm

I completely understand you not updating, elusive - it took much hand-wringing before we decided to go for it, I was worried it might get snatched away and our health cover with it. We did it because I'd read that with 'permanente' the change to a TIE card would be automatic...... but who knows? If/when that happens, we might well need to produce a whole load of stuff again. But we've done it now so will just have to wait and see.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Yeah thats right irene re an automatic change. But im of the mindset that is anything in spain really that easy!! I kinda feel that id rather have one lot of hassle changing to a TIE if required than two lots of going permanant then changing to a T.. we also need to change our address on it at some point (god knows if it will be a second change by the time we do it) so will just do it altogether as and when. Glad you got it sorted

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks, elusive. Hope all goes well for you and changing to the TIE is straightforward..... typing with fingers crossed lol.