blocked windscreen washer jets

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

blocked windscreen washer jets

Postby gavilan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm

there is no garage here, so I park outside ... where dust or something seems to block the windscreen washer jets from time to time ... so jets dont work ... ?does anyone have any idea how to prevent these blockages or clear them out so jets work? ... many thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: blocked windscreen washer jets

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Use a pin to poke out the crud from the jet.
However this just pushes the crud into the pipe to get pushed back into the jet after a few squirts.
If you can get easy access to the back of the washer jets it is preferable to remove the pipe and give the jets a good clean out with a pin.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi gavilan,
If you just put water in washer bottle then Gerry's pin trick should break the cal and a blast with the screen wash should sort it.

N.B.........Don't wiggle the pin about as you will alter the aim of the jet

I park outside in Spain and use a Branded screen wash product and don't get any problems with blockages.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

A pin usually does the trick. Once cleaned should last for weeks before blocking again. Use screen wash not fairy liquid in your washer bottle. You could always blow them through with an airline when in a garage but a pin should be enough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:09 pm

PS, I always keep a pin pushed in my sun visor. The best sort is the type you get when you buy a new shirt. nice and thin.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:18 pm

gerryh, Enrique, costakid ... thanks very much for your suggestions ... I obviously need a shirt pin and some quality screen wash ... thanks again for your helpful comments

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 am

Screen wash can be got.in 5L bottles from carrefour etc, i normally pick up 3 when they have a sale and its 3x2 - works out really cheap, about 3 euros / 5 litres. Its direct use, so just put that in ans no water. I dont remember the last time i had blocked jets?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am

Hi,
The added bonus some are good down to -9c ...........which has come in use up here on the mountain............. 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Here's what not to do.
Filling the screen wash reservoir from a watering can contaminated with algae. The algae continues growing in the pipework.
Never use plain water. Always use screen-wash from the bottle. Algae was not too difficult to eradicate but better if it had not got in to start with!

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:19 pm

never use tap water always distilled or ready made. the water in spain is not great especially if you live in a city.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Bit late to the game, I thought I'd already written this. My jets get the same problem and, rather than a pin, I use an interdental stick. Not the wire ones with bristles for gaps like I've got (I can park the car between my incisors) but little plastic ones with tiny rubbery fronds that my wife uses. One advantage is that it's better than a pin for dragging the crud back out of the nozzle as you pull it. Don't put it back in the box, though, Mrs Bassleft got annoyed with that. I keep one in a dash cubby.

Also, back in the UK, an acquaintance got the algae problem and it can come back quickly. Most reservoirs have a mesh filter (usually plastic) that's like a condominium for microbes and detergent, despite what you'd think, can provide the nutrients. Less headache to use clean containers and ingredients.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:01 pm

sorry for long delay ... been 'indiposed' ... but many thanks to all who posted most helpful responses ...again many thanks

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:24 pm

Coincidentally (and there's a terrible pun I shall ignore), I have just been down today after last night's feeble dribbles. They've never been good since I bought it (13 yrs old), particularly the passenger side. The interdental brush freed up dust, but the nozzle hole is now so wide that, instead of a fine spray up the screen, a large volume is pumped up a couple of cm before gravity does its thing.

Universal washer jets are just a few pounds from ebay etc, so I think I'll get some replacements to hand and not be caught out given the conditions here. Simple push-in fit.