Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Wicksey wrote: What is this obsession with toilet rolls.
I heard that every time someone coughs, all the people in earshot sh#ts themselves

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Seeing as most of you live in Andalucia don’t you think it would be useful to read Spanish social media and newspapers. . Some not very flattering comments about Brits on some though. Made me think, El Pais has been reporting re. Prioritising treatment. Locals in Murcia were outraged about people from Northern Spain visiting and straining Salud where the expats would stand if there was a decision to be made. I wouldn’t like to be lingering on an Italian hospital bed right now.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 pm

markwilding wrote:
Wicksey wrote: What is this obsession with toilet rolls.
I heard that every time someone coughs, all the people in earshot sh#ts themselves
It is embarrassing for the person too :lol: I choked on a drink last week and just couldn’t stop.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:42 pm

I have an allergy and really had to suppress a sneeze in Lidl yesterday :crazy: .

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:03 pm

katy wrote:...El Pais has been reporting re. Prioritising treatment. Locals in Murcia were outraged about people from Northern Spain visiting and straining Salud...where the expats would stand if there was a decision to be made. I wouldn’t like to be lingering on an Italian hospital bed right now.
Same stories everywhere; an MP from Cornwall was on the box earlier pleading with people to stop coming to Cornwall. Apparently the roads are chokka, and some campsites are still accepting bookings :roll: Also heard NHS staff worrying about prioritising when/if things get as bad as Italy. It does make me worry for some of our elderly friends back in Andalucia who don't speak a word of Spanish.

A couple of heartening things: our local private leisure centre has now closed, but has promised to honour any time lost due to the closure by adding it on to our annual membership when it renews, which is good of them; and I paid upfront for 10 months of NowTV sports back in August so still have a couple of months left, with no soccer or F1 to watch, but a quick online chat with them secured a credit to my account to compensate, which I'll probably use for Sky movies when the inevitable lockdown comes. I find it reassuring that businesses (large & small) like these are acting decently, and I believe the majority of citizens will also. We bumped into our next door neighbours out shopping yesterday, and they said they'd tried everywhere for rice; so we gave them a bag, because we'd scored a couple earlier on. We will get through this together.

Stay safe, everyone
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Wish i could report the same Miro, agree big businesses are being decent but many smaller ones not so. In all honesty some are banging the nails in their own box, corner shop £16.99 for a pack of toilet rolls and the local butchers £18 for a chicken...This is an area.where the chamber of trade are forever running campaigns to shop local....It suddenly feels like shopping local is about being ripped off...However people will not forget,

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 am

I used to cough to disguise a *beep*, now its the other way around :shock: :shock:
Hardworking resident !!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

Good news for any of you whose Spanish driving licence is near expiring.
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/ ... r-60-days/
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Looks likes the lockdown is going on for another 15 days after the end of next week

https://english.elpais.com/politics/202 ... -days.html

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:55 pm

I think it eventually will be a LOT longer than that.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Yes, elusive, I was just going to post that and it means the whole of Easter is 'off'. However, I think Sanchez ought to be a bit more honest. It's going to take months yet as people still keep moving around Spain, especially thaose mad people in Madrid. Of course, I understand why he is drip-feeding the bad news but Spanish people can work it out. Thank goodness we are on the finca and in the countryside and have lots to do.

Manchesteral: I do feel for all the people who are alone and dreading more isolation. :(

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:18 pm

The idiots in the UK are doing their level best to bring on a lockdown. Just seen pictures of crowds of visitors in Filey, packing the streets and beaches, buying up stuff in the shops. The traders seem to lack the cojones to ask for ID to prove the shoppers live there - legally they can refuse to serve anyone but god help anyone turning away any gay, black, muslim etc etc.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Lavanda, he is drip feeding with two week extensions as that is the maximum length by law which is allowed before he need to get approval from parliament for each extension. I think he is going to keep having to do this many more times.

I found out today that in Italy they did not close the shops and are about to do so. That makes the Spanish lockdown second only to China.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:05 pm

If we can believe the figures from China (can we?) it seems that they now have fewer new cases each day and therefore the draconian lockdown system works.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:10 pm

Lavanda wrote:If we can believe the figures from China (can we?) it seems that they now have fewer new cases each day and therefore the draconian lockdown system works.
Saw this on FB........

Cilla Murphy
19 March at 11:29

It has been a while since my last post when we were in 'lock-down' in China and since I've had a few emails recently, I think it's probably time to update everyone.

We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Excellent piece of advice :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm

someimes discipline can lead to freedom ...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Good post, paulinmalaga. We do need to remember this self-isolating is essential — but temporary.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks paul.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Thanks Gerry re driving licence. I had my ITV booked last Monday, cancelled. My citizenship ceremony on Tuesday, cancelled. Driving licence runs out end April, so that is one thing less to worry about!!!