Guardia and the CV rules.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Guardia and the CV rules.

Postby Lyric » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:34 pm

This morning found me going into Torrox Costa SuperSol to get stuff the others don't stock.
Exiting was one of those ageing hippies usually German.
There was a GC car parked up and the occupants got out on sight of the ageing hippy and started on him in my opinion very aggressively.
Documents Documents yelled the senior GC officer. Blank look from AH. Passport passport. Not got it says AH.
A second GC car appears, the four officers now surround the AH - guns drawn ! they snatch his rucksack and empty it.

I shop and as I am at the checkout the saga is continuing but seeming to have come to a conclusion as the AH is repacking his rucksack.

Before I have paid the GC drive off, just as well, my passport is in for renewal all I have is a photocopy :angel:

They seem to be taking this seriously, carry ID folks.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Guardia and the CV rules.

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:27 am

Why oh why are people referring to GC agents as officers?! I've noticed on this forum and others that Brit immigrants use the word officer. They are not officers apart from a few senior ones. So stop trying to elevate their status.

Call them funcionarios, agents or a few other things. They really are not that special!!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:30 am

I call the English Police officers it is normal, a 70 year old habit. I would like to call them thugs, their behaviour yesterday was completely uncalled for.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 am

I agree Lyric, some put on a badge and totally abuse the reason why they are wearing it. The person you saw being questioned and intimidated must have felt very distressed.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:57 am

I was distressed, next in line and just a photocopy !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Police officers, Guardia Civil officers. Officers of the Law ...

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Lyric

Maybe when you get your new passport it is worth getting a notorised copy or two. It is recognised officially and you can leave it in the car, or wherever. Mine was recognised when I went to vote and also when once stopped by the Guardia Civil for not stopping at a Stop...(Got no fine!!!!)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 pm

Now I finally have my new Spanish driving licence I would have thought that this would be acceptable as ID. It has my photo and NIE on it, much like my old residencia card that I still carry around although way out of date now. It was only when I was updating my driving licence details on the Hertz website that I realised that in Spain there is no driving licence number, only my NIE is shown.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Unicorn wrote:Hi Lyric

Maybe when you get your new passport it is worth getting a notorised copy or two.
A good idea but are notaries open now?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Notaries are working but not open to the public, but equally Lyric has not got his new passport yet! I guess eventually they will open for business again! I think, although I am not sure, that you can also get an authorised copy from the Police National, maybe someone could confirm that, I think also banks used to and maybe still do do it.

But it is worth, when they are open, to have a copy. My last passport application got caught up in a snarl up about 5 years ago and luckily I had a copy to use to vote.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Hola

I have a copy of my passport in every suitcase; When my suitcase went missing in New York, i was easily able to prove it was mine by digging out the photocopy.

Davexf

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm

My passport is being printed. Some valid ideas there though, thanks.

In this cold and damp who decided that wood yards are not essential ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Out of intrest how are you supposed to address a local/guardia/national?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm

Respectfully.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:09 pm

A smile and a Hola! Goes a long way! Senor?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 pm

The Guardia Civil are past masters at making a desultory salute look like an insult. The correct term of address is 'agente' but if I find myself in such a situation I usually address them as señor which, in their little world, means Sir rather than Mister. It is how they address their senior officers.

I am sure everyone is aware of this but the Guardia Civil are not police officers but a part of the army with powers over the civilian population. In the UK it would probably be the equivalent of being stopped by a bunch of squaddies.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 pm

The Guardia civil, however you choose to view them (naively would be downright stupid) have a huge amount of power and to dismiss them as "not special" is not even close to being smart, In my dealings with them I have always addressed them with respect and humility to do otherwise is inviting trouble. To answer the o p's post it's well known that "old hippie type motor home dwellers" are often moving drugs around, probably why he was approached and searched in the first place !

Twenty five years ago any suggestion of surliness towards a Guardia officer would result in trip to the local barracks and quite possibly a close encounter of the worst kind with a baton, they are doing a difficult job, support them !!

If we had this kind of approach to policing in the U K we would not now be swamped with drug dealers and disrespectful youth !

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Manchesteral wrote:
If we had this kind of approach to policing in the UK we would not now be swamped with drug dealers and disrespectful youth !
And neither would we see idiots gathering together and ignoring separation policies

Davexf

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Spain is knee deep in drugs and drug dealing, it will take more than the guardia civil to control that so i doubt if Spain hasn't got their drugs problem under control then that kind of policing isn't going to get it under control in the Uk either.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Beachcomber wrote:The Guardia Civil are past masters at making a desultory salute look like an insult. The correct term of address is 'agente' but if I find myself in such a situation I usually address them as señor which, in their little world, means Sir rather than Mister. It is how they address their senior officers.

I am sure everyone is aware of this but the Guardia Civil are not police officers but a part of the army with powers over the civilian population. In the UK it would probably be the equivalent of being stopped by a bunch of squaddies.
Thanks beach