Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Thank you elusive, I was are of that, the problem is that I have now exceeded my ninety days but am unable to process my residencia application because the government offices that deal with this are now not processing applications, at least 3-6 months I'm told ! It's not a huge worry, I just want to get it done !
I wouldnt worry to much.loads of people in the same position.there will be backlogs for everything.nothing anyone can do. Im sure they wont deport you :wink:

I guess it may get more complicated if theres delays into the new year and how they treat post brexit applications.mind you I'd be surprised if theres not a extension again considering

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Lots of tragic stories starting to emerge, a particularly sad one in West Sussex

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -dead.html

I think all of Spain are waiting and hoping to see figures start to look more positive soon as the effect of over two weeks of Lockdown should start to show. With a bit of luck the current dreadful weather in Andalucia will change soon, as seeing sun and blue skies out of the window and from terraces etc would brighten spirits a bit
I So Bella tis you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm

These tragic reports happen a lot when there is no lock down. Unfortunately there has been quite a few similar recently before anyone had heard of the word Coronavirus. Too early to link it, unless you are a tabloid journalist.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Infection rates have gone up again in spain after several days of them shown to be dropping..how long before people start getting restless?

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm

I was in Mercadona earlier doing a weekly shop and noticed how polite everyone was from the staff to the customers, nobody panic buying or gossiping in the middle of the aisles. I hope this becomes the norm when eventually things begin to ease.

Being restricted to only shopping at the nearest supermarket one thing this lockdown has done is make me appreciate some of lifes little treats, oh how I miss my Chocolate or Almond croissants :wink: so bella

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 pm

Agree. The same in nerja yesterday mid morning. Very quite,like shopping during siesta in all the places i went in. People trying avoid each other trolley dancing in the aisles!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am

Appears back to normal here. Had an email today from Tesco, says they have employed an extra 35,000 packers and drivers. Wonder how they managed that. Maybe all those baristas and burger flippers?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:00 am

Didn’t know that the FCO has a large centralised call centre in Malaga :? Maybe to take advantage of cheap labour. They would have to be good English speakers I suppose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52093009

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am

I really don't know how some will people will be managing if they are stuck abroad, hotels closed, no money etc...must be a nightmare especially for those who tried to get back early enough but still haven't succeeded. Just trying to get information and someone to answer their call must be a nightmare...If it had been us trapped without a flight or any way of getting back then our plight would have been less problematic having our own accommodation but i dare not imagine what it must be like had we been in the same position of some of those who will be struggling enormously..I can only imagine that most of those trapped will have no desire for travel for such a very very long time..It is of course a two way problem for those who are trying to get back to their homes from the Uk.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm

katy wrote:Tesco says they have employed an extra 35,000 packers and drivers. Wonder how they managed that.
Simple: Tim Wetherspoons told his 44,000 staff to go work for Tesco. If they have any sense, they will try to stay there rather than return to 'Spoons after this all settles down.

First time out for 8 days today. Streets very quiet, but not entirely deserted. Went to Lidl: car park almost empty, very few shoppers in the store, no shortage of anything (except, for some strange reason, their own brand of laundry conditioner), all rather easy & civilized without the crowds. Parked on the yellow line outside our pharmacy on the way back (no traffic wardens working) and picked up 'scrips - again, no queues, no hassle. It's very hard to believe at times that anything is wrong. Maybe it's different in the big cities.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Yeah thousands of people have been made redundant rather than been kept on at 80% also all the self employed. So its not rocket science.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

I went out to Carrefour today, Miro, early. It's 22km away but does Pedigree foods for cats and dogs and my dog only likes their dental sticks. The roads were deserted except for the occasional Transmijadas truck carrying, presumably, food from Extremadura to other parts of somewhere else. The car park was empty, On entry into the shop I was met with a hand sanitiser station and gloves and a disinfected trolley. In the whole, enormous place there were only about 20 shoppers and no queues for anything. The fresh vegetables were a bit low and they didn't have carrots or red peppers (Yes, I know there's a crisis on but I like red vegetables as well as green ones — different vitamins).The check-outs were a lovely experience; very slow and relaxed. So nice. Then I went to the plant shop on my way home to get more seedings for the vegetable garden so we will have something to eat in a few months. I felt safe shopping. I like that fact that everything is quiet. It's so lovely.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Strange, isn't it? Plenty of fresh peppers here, which almost certainly came from Spain! Forgot to mention, I did want some corriander seeds, but couldn't get them. I can live without.
Yes, there is a very relaxed atmosphere everywhere & it feels very safe. Maybe because we live in an area with an elderly population - perhaps more than in other areas are staying indoors. There are people out walking dogs, jogging, cycling - I don't think we'll wait another 8 days to go out for some excercise. I don't want to become blasé, but it is hard to perceive there being any real threat out there. I know there are people suffering real hardship, and we are fortunate that we are not. We have a family member working in Liverpool heart & chest hospital, and we worry about her, but otherwise, tbh, I'm more concerned about the economic/financial fall out that will inevitably follow the more immediate crisis. All eyes on Sweden, I guess, to see if they judged it right or not...although with a population less than greater London spread over a country twice the size of the UK, it's probably not wise to make too many comparisons.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Miro, Extremadura has fewer than a million people and it's the size of Switzerland so it is suffering less than other areas. If Sweden has got it right there will be hell to pay in some countries when they start going bankrupt. On the other hand, if they have got it wrong a lot of people will die. At home, on my finca, my cupboards are gleaming and sorted and my garden is looking pretty good ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm

I have to say it's all very civilised here too and a pleasure to go out. Worse thing is not being able to have a walk, that's the only thing we are really pining for although we have a garden to potter around in. I think of all the overcrowded tourist spots that are having a rest, and it's certainly a lot quieter without the planes going over.

There was a report in the paper last week that you can actually see the bottom of the canals in Venice for the first time in years. When this is over I don't think that it will put people off travelling but places like Rome and Venice have been over-run with far too many tourists in recent years, partly due to frequent cheap flights and the increase in cruises. I would guess that they will be welcomed back with open arms after this to make up for the shortfall in income from tourism.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes it is hard to imagine there are people stuck in grotty apartments with a few kids, thousands lost their jobs...or lives. Wouldn't mind a wander down marbella paseo right now.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm

I wonder if this may spell the end of dirt cheap flights though? Will the budget airlines survive? And how long before people feel confident going on cruises again?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Agree Miro. I think this year will be a write off even if the virus dies down. We had already gone off cruises, not what they used to be, but if I hadn't they way infection spreads and how easily ships are stranded would put me off.
Every industry wants a bailout now. Charities the latest. Feel sorry for the small genuine ones but the larger ones are sitting on millions each. Also Spanish bullfighters want a 700E grant to keep it going!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Remains to be seen Miro, if all the airlines survive then i imagine the answer to that is no..They will all be fighting for the same customers and if the last recession is anything to go by the flights may be cheaper!..In all honesty flights are not as cheap as they once were..By the time bags etc are added on you can double the price...Jet2 have concentrated on package hols and their airfares have risen dramaticaly over the past years...Easyjets fares have also risen steeply and the only chance of getting something reasonable is off peak like early Dec or mid Jan/Febe..I'm reporting from my neck of the woods of course here in the north, i know living south it can be a different story. .

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm

katy wrote: Charities the latest. Feel sorry for the small genuine ones but the larger ones are sitting on millions each. Also Spanish bullfighters want a 700E grant to keep it going!
I think you mean 700 million Euro grant/compensation