Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby katy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Yes offers of help around here have been amazing. Someone on a local forum posted yesterday that Waitrose was donating all the fresh fruit and veg and he was collecting it early evening and would deliver i to those isolated.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Wicksey wrote:
Lyric wrote:Torrox, in the "Campo"
As I sit on my lofty perch and look around I see about eight houses, there are more further up the track. They have to pass me if going to civilisation. The cars I see daily five are Spanish non-campo residents and the three English residents )I don't see them every day. But the Spanish come and go daily. One is retired Local Police so that's ok then.
Nobody cares.
A campo shack way across the valley is owned by a Guardia Civil officer. Normally it's just a weekend place but since lockdown he has moved into it permanently. He comes and goes by moto every day but there's also a large van plus another car there. Last weekend there was a different car visiting them. The van is in and out all day long, we see them go out several times a day. Last weekend as we look down the valley we saw a number of the usual weekend places inhabited, so nothing's stopping them here.

When I say I want to visit a particular supermarket, they are all in the same vicinity. I cannot live on the food they have in the tiny pueblo corner shops and cannot source the cat food I need either. As Gerry says, I am travelling alone in my car. I go to the local and nearest supermarkets and food shops and I only go out to do that, and I do as large a shop as I can when I go out. I've been out 3 times in as many weeks.
Think a lot of that will happen in most countries. Can imagine a lot of nepotism especially if they are considered important. In one way I am glad they are getting to their weekend places seeing as the amount of dogs they keep on them.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm

It's nice to hear of the good news stories and the kindness of people. The media seem to always concentrate on the bad news stuff. If I was in the UK I would have volunteered to deliver food etc. I'm not sure what is available here in the way of volunteer work, especially as my Spanish, or I should say, Andaluz, is not really up to scratch.

Katy, previously mentioned GC man earlier went up to his house in his police car with passenger/colleague beside him. Got out of his GC car, took shopping out of boot, both went into house for half an hour, just come back past again no doubt to sign off for the day as he pootles past on way back home on his moto at about 3.05 every afternoon :lolno: . Good job we have a good pair of binoculars .... gives us something to do, spying on the neighbours :clap:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:45 pm

A little bit of humour to lighten your day (posted by a friend on FB)

Just seen a guy in Tesco buying a load of Estrella beer, Chorizo, Manchego cheese & packets of Paella.

(wait for it.....)

I thought "Hispanic buying".
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:57 pm

I have just been into Scarborough for essential food shopping. Saw God in one street. The police were quickly on him asking what he was doing. Working from home was the reply.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Nice one Olive. :mrgreen: Do they still sell delicious sea food there? My Yorkshire Nan used to take us there. Would like to revisit but a bit far. She used to come back with lovely dressed crab too.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Yes they do still do seafood? Still very photogenic. Council still doing dubious things. For example rather than maintain the North cliff iconic lift they gave it away. My grandfather campaigned to have the lift. There isnt aswimming pool either anymore apart from the one within Alpamarle which is only open in the summer and the entry for a family is about £80 ?!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:36 pm

Good ole scarbrough. Loved kinderland and peasholme park

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Told by a gardia at a checkpoint today that you must only shop in your village.first your nearest supermarket now only in a little village shop that has put its prices up inorder to cash in!. Si senor! :silent: :yawn:
Last edited by elusive on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Talk of extending the lockdown until the 26th (Euro weekly news), so no surprises there. Also contemplating making everyone wear masks but I thought there was a national shortage of them. Perhaps we have to make our own? Lots of tutorials on Youtube.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Picked up my free masks from the Ayuntamiento yesterday. The instructions are to disinfect before use and to wash regularly at 60º using bleach. Right. Then I put it around my nose and mouth. Right. Is that safe, does anyone know?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Not neat bleach , swill the mask in a mild solution of bleach and warm water. Then rinse in warm clean water then leave to dry. Will be quite safe

Forgot to say, take it off before you go to sleep

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi Lavanda,
Then I put it around my nose and mouth. Right. Is that safe, does anyone know?
"However, reusable cloth masks are also not recommended and may even increase the chance of infection, say European advisers."

Some light reading.................

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... -03-26.pdf

We too had cloth masks delivered today...........the Ayuntamiento supplied the cloth to our village Major who took it to a seamstress who made the masks then these where handed to the "WI" president to be handed out...............sounds like an act played out in Plaque (Black Death)........so we decided the safest option is not to wear them.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:02 pm

Thank-you, Olive and Enrique.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Yesterday i went into hospital here in the Uk for an xray, i was asked on the phone by the xray department if i had been supplied with a mask by my local surgery, no was the answer but luckily i had my own so that was ok...It was a very strange feeling walking into the hospital, i didn't feel comfortable but only because of the present circumstances but hey ho it had to be done.The seating area in the waiting room was arranged so that the seats were 2 mtrs apart, i suspect the appointment's had also been spaced out because the place was virtually empty. Those who i did see come and go were not wearing a mask and oddly neither were the two nurses sat at the nurses station,maybe the two nurses have had the virus?...The only person other than myself wearing one was the person in the xray room..Having said that i didn't go on a tour of the hospital.. I was in and out asap..Quite a contrast though from what i imagined especially as shoppers are out in face scarfs and gloves, perhaps the people i saw walking into hospital had left their brains at the hospital door entrance.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 am

Maybe they had already had the virus and recovered? It does seem a strange experience.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:38 am

It's perspective isn't it? Here in Wakefield the only thing that has altered in the shopping experience is social distancing. I went to Asda the other day and saw one shopper wearing a face mask. The till staff are wearing rubber washing up gloves. I think the view over here is that face masks don't help and are unnecessary in those situations.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 am

As is normal on Sunday I can see the columns of smoke from at least four bonfires, all at second properties. They must have self ignited.
Jose has just passed going to his country house as he does every morning.
I will probably be arrested if I take rubbish to the bins.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am

Lavanda, i did wonder if they had.

Gruff, i think there will be areas where there is little evidence of shoppers covering faces etc, as it is at the supermarket which i use there are quite a number of people who do use a scarf, gloves etc but not so when it all first kicked off. It just takes one or two to be seen taking measures and those who never thought about doing so start to think that they better do the same.

From the onset of the lockdown the supermarket i use stepped up, quickly hired extra staff and took control of the trolly area cleaning each trolly with disinfectant after every use..The £1 coin to release the trolly was no longer required, all very well organised and i gather it is the same at all supermarkets but not so at Marks & Spenser!! My daughter went to buy something, no policy of one in and one out, No changes at all in the management of trolly's....so you definitely need a pair of gloves or a small bottle of hand sanitizer...the one and only change was the 2 mtr distancing at the till...Not good enough for M&S.. :crazy: