VPN Recommendation

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

VPN Recommendation

Postby telboy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am

Probably best to try before buying.

My set up - LG Smart TV, MacBook Pro, iPad, Movistar Fusion Radio (Campo living NO ADSL and Fibre) with 20mbps download max and 0.7mbps upload.

terry :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: VPN Recommendation

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 am

Hi telboy,
I've have SmartyDNS ........use the VPN side too, its been OK for what I use it for.........but....... some light reading.......

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/smartydns/

Mark and the rest of the Team will be along to give you advice.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:26 am

I use a DNS as it doesn't slow the internet speed and you can put it into the router so that everything is covered. (I have a Smart LG TV, a PC plus a laptop and about 9mbps download which is plenty for watching catch-up). I use smartdnsproxy.com who I have found reliable. They also have a VPN you can use.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:40 pm

A VPN such as Nord VPN seems easy to set up with a 30day money back guarantee, I could give it a try and determine how the issue of speed effects my connection.

Enrique - Thanks for the informative link. I noticed on SmartyDNS website the whole set up and use sounds simple. The pricing is in US$ I take it this is just converted at the business exchange rate.

Wicksey - Not being too tech-savvy using SmartDNSproxy seems a little complicated for me, in having to access the network prefs, deleting my existing IP address and inserting two others of choice. Is this a one off configuration for each device? I see there is the option though to configure my LG SmartTV and Apple TV Box which is not available on SmartyDNS.

Cheers guys thanks for your feedback any other info would be appreciated.

terry :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi telboy,
You choice of Nord VPN should be good from the reviews I seen pop up/read over the years.
The only reason I have SmartyDNS was when the "Beam" was removed from Southern Spain and The Forum was rooting around to find IPTV solution. Seems a long time ago now............

You can put the SmartyDNs settings in to your Smart TV and/or Router, for the VPN a short cut on a PC/Laptop fired up before turning TV on will get you UK channels.........

Let us know how you get on with Nord VPN.

PS. My WiFi Max is 12Mbps down and 1Mbps up.......so your 20Mbps will be OK

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm

I’m not sure why people use a VPN rather than a Smart DNS unless they need a very secure connection for whatever reason. Most routers do not accept a VPN whereas they all can be configured easily with a DNS. Most devices will not allow a VPN but they will accept a DNS.

Does anyone have a good reason to use a VPN rather than a smart DNS?

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi,
Some light reading on Geo-Blocking................You can skip this Sid........ :)

https://www.smartydns.com/knowledge-bas ... trictions/

I’m not sure why people use a VPN rather than a Smart DNS unless they need a very secure connection for whatever reason
For watching TV Smart DNS is the way to go..............although VPN's can be as Fast as Smart DNS ....not always the case in the past.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Yes they are faster than they were, but bearing in mind most routers and devices do not support VPN, and generally more difficult to set up, I still don’t see the point.

I used one a long time ago (Astril) on my iPad, but then DNS became an option and I have never needed one since.

I used Smarty for some time until they had a long running problem with the BBC and then changed to SmartDNSproxy.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm

El Cid wrote:
Does anyone have a good reason to use a VPN rather than a smart DNS?

Sid
I use a VPN, an app called BlockThis, on my Android phone.
Its sole purpose is to block all advert pop-ups whichever app they would normally appear in.
Works perfectly with no noticeable effect on the download speed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:21 pm

My set up is slightly different. I use 2 routers, One with a DNS throughout the house and another with no DNS settings. The reason I do this is because DAZN detects both VPN and DNS settings and will not work. with one

So my Firestick is connected to the router with no DNS configured but I have the SmartyDNS VPN installed so I can toggle it on and off much easier than it would be to change the router DNS settings all the time.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm

It's not difficult to put the DNS into the router. I'm only self taught and found the step by step instructions on the website easy to follow. I found it the best option as then everything I have here is covered by it and you only need to do it once.

However I have also now put the DNS settings into my laptop as we do take it away and use it to watch TV, so I need it set up on that. You otherwise would only need it in the router and once you set up the TV with the UK apps by setting your address as a UK one, it's simple to use.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Mobiles and tablets do seem to be easier to install VPNs on but most routers do not have that option, if you do have a suitable router, yesterday it is reasonably easy. Wicksey, you are lucky to have one that does.

DNS is almost always the better option.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am

It is the DNS I've installed, not a VPN. I've only used the VPN once on my PC but it slowed it down.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:49 pm

I did try to install a VPN on my router following instructions online. It was really complicated and I gave up. Certainly not something for the faint hearted.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:53 pm

My router does have vpn capability, in fact quite smart as you can specify by mac addresses which devices use vpn and which don't. However i find that the speed hit is much greater than when i configure vpn on individual devices. So i tend to go with the latter.
Regards

Bob

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Mediator - Just signed in and wrote/added details in reply to my initial post - on clicking submit I was presented with the log/sign in box after which I'm presented with a blank page and lost posting - wtf

terr :thumbdown:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi telboy,
Know problem......login timeout............just Go back a page