importing questions

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
winston2012

importing questions

Postby winston2012 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 am

Morning all,
I am moving over to the Martos area next month now the question is: I am driving my VW t5 camper towing my motorbike behind is it worth while importing a rhd van or drive it around for a couple of months then sell it in the uk.
As far as the bike goes it is moted until April the value of it is around £9K do I ride it around until the mot runs out then look at getting an ITV put on it and registering it in Spain or do you have to do it straight away.
Another question if/when I buy a new van it's highly unlikely that I will find what I want in Spain so will have to look around Germany or Holland how hard is it to get a van re- registered from either of these countries.
I know its a bit late in the day to be asking this so I do apologise any information would be gratefully received.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: importing questions

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum.
A RHD van can not be transferred onto Spanish registration plates.
A RHD camper/ motorhome can be provided it has side windows behind the driver/ passenger seats.
Should be no problem importing, from within the EU, a LHD van/camper van/ motorhome into Spain and getting it onto Spanish plates.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Hola

One thing to note; your date of arrival on Spanish soil is usually taken as the date of the padron. If you import "your goods and chattels" i.e. you bike, then there is no import dury (first registration tax) payable if you complete the importation onto Spanish plates within 60 days.

Your camper van may be a different thing depending upon the ITV examiner on the day.

Davexf

winston2012

Postby winston2012 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:53 am

Many thanks for your replys

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 am

Squeezing into the thread (apols, Winston) to say "thanks dxf" for answering two of my own Qs. I suspected padron rather than residencia might be the trigger (although my UK plater originally had an ES plate and the gestor says it will go back to it and no reg tax is payable). What effect this lockdown has on the rules now, I don't know. My possible April drive back may have to be pushed back if extended.

Another Q, though, if you know. As a now-ES resident, shall I need some import plates to bring it down or do I have some months' grace to drive it through Spain on its UK plates? All UK MOT, tax and insurance regularities would be in order and I would want to ITV and replate it ASAP on arrival (and have an ES car so I don't need to drive it around to the shops etc). The EU website says I have six months but isn't clear about if import plates would be needed first.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 pm

In all honesty I think your main questions have been answered, the question is, regardless of what plates are on it now or previously if it's NOT left hand drive then it's basically worthless in Spain other than as extra accomodation for guests (if parked on your own land ) !

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:47 pm

1bassleft wrote:Squeezing into the thread (apols, Winston) to say "thanks dxf" for answering two of my own Qs. I suspected padron rather than residencia might be the trigger (although my UK plater originally had an ES plate and the gestor says it will go back to it and no reg tax is payable). What effect this lockdown has on the rules now, I don't know. My possible April drive back may have to be pushed back if extended.

Another Q, though, if you know. As a now-ES resident, shall I need some import plates to bring it down or do I have some months' grace to drive it through Spain on its UK plates? All UK MOT, tax and insurance regularities would be in order and I would want to ITV and replate it ASAP on arrival (and have an ES car so I don't need to drive it around to the shops etc). The EU website says I have six months but isn't clear about if import plates would be needed first.
Hola

No you don't need other plates if the car is legal in the UK

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am

Motorhomes can be re registered but vans or van conversions cant.