Importing your goods to Spain without removal company

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm

700 Quid for the ferry???? Strewth, it only cost me 53 and that was on the eurotunnel. 35mins crossing, 1 day`s driving 58euro`s diesel and an overnight in one of those 30euro motels
By the sound of it they had two vehicles though.

Bilbao/Santander crossings are very expensive unless you are just a foot passenger, but they do cut out a lot of the stress/tolls of driving through France.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:06 pm

yes if you read my post correctly, we had a tranny van and a Fiat Punto, 2 adults, 1 child and a dog. Still beat driving through France. Would do it again cos it was worth it to miss that awful country out....

Wilson25
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Wilson25 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:22 pm

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences of how they made the move. It gives us ideas and other options to think about.

Sure am interested in the vicious dog bit detering customs though. Might be worthwhile borrowing a nasty mutt just to get through hassle-free!

Thanks also for your good wishes.

Karen

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:22 pm

Anewlife - I`m glad you said it, cos I was thinking it was only me. Yes, what an awful country to drive through! Expensive toll roads, dirty hotels etc. But the new bridge at Millau almost made up for it!
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:46 pm

I drove through France last summer, very very boring is all I can say.

I avoided all the tolls roads bar 1 (only 80 cents).

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:02 pm

Any idea how much the toll roads add up too, if avoiding tolls then there is always a catch like you use a lot more fuel than if you went on the tolls roads....ideas..

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am

When we did our own move we didn't do an inventory, didn't know it was a requirement, customs stopped us and we even had a problem with the lock in the back of the transit that prevented them from opening it up to have a look (could only open from inside out) but they were fine with it.
Any idea how much the toll roads add up too, if avoiding tolls then there is always a catch like you use a lot more fuel than if you went on the tolls roads....ideas..
I know that it adds up to quite a lot, but don't have an actual figure (would guess at 100 Euros or so though).

I know that near Burgos there is a toll that we hit that cost 20 Euros for our van to travel through :shock:

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:59 pm

It cost me 158euro in tolls to get from Calais to Malaga in a transit. There is a higher rate for commercial vehicles than cars.
The bulk of the tolls were in France, with the trip from Paris to the Midi Pyrenees region the most expensive
If you go on viamichelin you will be able to get an idea of costs in petrol and tolls, but be aware that the toll prices quoted are for cars not vans.
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 pm

Lion wrote:When we did our own move we didn't do an inventory, didn't know it was a requirement, customs stopped us and we even had a problem with the lock in the back of the transit that prevented them from opening it up to have a look (could only open from inside out) but they were fine with it.
Which customs was this and where cos Im bringing 2 dogs with

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 am

chrisuk wrote:
Lion wrote:When we did our own move we didn't do an inventory, didn't know it was a requirement, customs stopped us and we even had a problem with the lock in the back of the transit that prevented them from opening it up to have a look (could only open from inside out) but they were fine with it.
Custom officers can stop you anywhere, not necessarily at border crossings.

Mike

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:40 am

i´m sorry to use your experiences as a "springboard" for my reply as it were, but:
Lion wrote:Paid £800 for a Ford Transit
why? was it gold plated? thats well over the money anyways. you should of got a years tax and MOT on that for that price.
Lion wrote:(H reg)
thats too old for a start. think of re-sale value.
Lion wrote:two weeks before the move
should of had it at least a month to sort out any problems you might of had.
Lion wrote:but then part exchanged it against current Spanish vehicle but only got 600 Euros
never part exchange a UK plated vehicle for a spanish one you´ll get buttons for it. UK plated vehicles are worth scrap in spain, as are any foreign plated vehicles unless they are taxed and mot´d for a year and in GOOD condition.
Lion wrote:paid over the odds for current vehicile
what was it and how much was it ? the spanish book price is MUCH higher than the uk one due to condition.

i know its easy to look back in hindsight, but i am using this to show other people, NOT to have a "pop" at you lion, ok ? :)

i´d recomend buying at latest an N or M reg van, for under 500 quid, taxed and mot´d for a year, in good condition. and sell it privatly. you´ll never get the money back on a foreign vehicle unless you plan on driving it back full with someone elses load. the better plan would be to hire one (you would be un-insured, euro travel is prohibited), or to borrow one from a friend? or get a friend to drive it back after a weeks holiday ? (handy with the extra pair of hands to move furniture)

personally i´d buy a cheap transit off of ebay, i say transit because they are the "old faithful", parts are cheaper and readily avaliable. there was a box´ed luton type transit van, m-reg, in blue, for 265 quid, needing a bit of welding. that sort of thing would be ideal, its the sort of thing someone is looking for to come back in. walk into any english bar and s*ds law they´ll know someone looking to go back to the uk and wanting a van.

i think everyone has different ideas on the "easy" way to do the move, the only way to do it really is to try it out and do it yourself :) good luck !
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:47 am

Moving Soon wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a fierce dog to deter Customs from checking and it would be just my luck to get stopped.

we brought 2 cats and a dog in the back of our car. i had them all "done" before i came over, all legally. it cost around 350 quid for all the injections etc, multiple visits to the vets.

when we got to dover i handed the document folder to the customs man...he said "whats that?" i explained it was the documentation for the pets and he laughed and gave it back. he was more interested in looking under the car for bombs and imigrants than anything else ! they never even checked our passports. !!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and apparently security at dover is tight as the proverbial ducks a*se! (well, maybe it is when a camera is on them:D lol )
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:20 am

Spanish Lad, Two years ago when I bought my van £800 was slightly under market value for a Long Wheel Base High Top Ford Transit on a H plate.
i´d recomend buying at latest an N or M reg van, for under 500 quid, taxed and mot´d for a year, in good condition
Your a dreamer if you think you can get all those requirements for under £500.
the spanish book price is MUCH higher than the uk one due to condition.
No **** sherlock
Last edited by Lion on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:45 am

At Portsmouth dock as we were about to board the Bilbao ferry.

Twopints

Re: Importing your goods to Spain without removal company

Postby Twopints » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Moving your belongings is something you can do on your own but why not use a professional removal company the process will be easier. Although it can be done we have had enquiries from people wanting their stuff picked up from a broken down van in the middle of France on there way to Spain.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:21 pm

You are replying to a 14 year old thread.
Most of the posters on this thread are no longer contributors to this forum .
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Spanish Lad is the only person still active on here Gerry. This thread is long gone.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi,
Its a SPAM...........the Poster needs to be removed.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Only four posts in 12 years isn't typical of a spammer. :think:
Suspect he runs a removal company but he hasn't plugged it yet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:51 pm

There was a hidden link in his post which was removed shortly after it was made. The matter is under review.