TV reception

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

TV reception

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 am

Out of idle curiosity why does the weather interfere with a satellite signal?

Also, although I do not see much on Channel 5 I would want to watch, there is the occasional programme I would. Yet, good or bad weather, the picture breaks up.

If it is being broadcast through Sky, why should this be?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:40 am

We have satellite piped throughout our development alan and rain certainly causes problems there.

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: TV reception

Postby claire4james » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:34 am

Dont know why the weather causes interference, but apparently CH5 can be watched during the day but not at night. This is (I believe) because CH5 uses a satellite in space that is solar powered. So during the day the signal strength is good, however at night this kicks onto battery back up and we are just too far away here to recieve the signal which is weaker when powered by battery than during the day when powered by the sun.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:37 am

Loss of satellite signal can also be the result of bad weather at the uplink location as the signal is mirrored rather than retransmitted from the satellite. Hence the term 'transponder'.

I get Five most of the time with no problems. Maybe your LNB or dish needs to be tweaked slightly.

By the way, the terrestrial channels are not broadcast by Sky but by Astra. Channel 4 and Five use Sky's encryption system but that is all.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:57 pm

We get channel 5 all the time, but further down the valley it drops at night, All our friends comment on the fact they cannot receive it.
Also as soon as we have heavy rain the signal drops and we lose all channels. Goes very "pixely"

Sometimes we lose the signal for no apparent reason and we have to reset the digi box. Unplug for 30 seconds or so and is right as rain. But generally we do not have any problems.

pwwm

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:33 pm

Maybe your LNB or dish needs to be tweaked slightly.
You must get fed up with all us idiots Beach, but give us a clue how you "tweak" a dish or LNB!

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm

A bit of gentle dish realignment Alan, to improve your signal strength/quality. Like you would with an ordinary aerial back in the UK.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:00 pm

it's that final finite adjustment
when you swear you hadn't moved anything at all &
suddenly it all comes into focus -
e.g. hold your index finger against your thumb
(the old OK sign)
then release it suddenly against the object you want to 'adjust'
and 'ping', it's been 'tweaked' into adjustment...

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

dish size

Postby meseta » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:07 pm

My understanding it that dish size is all important.
We have the same trouble with our 90 cm, heavy rain, time of day etc fect our viewing. If I changed to a 1.2 m dish ( so says my reliable supplier ?? ) all the problems would be solved.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: dish size

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:08 pm

meseta wrote:We have the same trouble with our 90 cm, heavy rain, time of day etc fect our viewing.
you have uk sky running with a 90cm dish ? thats very lucky! we´ve got a 1.3, and were told thats the minimum.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: dish size

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:15 pm

spanish_lad wrote:you have uk sky running with a 90cm dish ? thats very lucky! we´ve got a 1.3, and were told thats the minimum.
It's the minimum for reception of all the channels but you can get some on a smaller dish.

Sid